Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a play buddy for my dog!

Anna_C
February 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi, I live in Thornhill and I have a 4 month old GSP. He gets really excited when we run into other dogs on our walks but he gets upset when he can't play with them. I really want him to socialize and play with other dogs but I find my parents dashunds are too small for him to play with. If anyone is interested in having another dog to play with please let me know.

Chris21711
February 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
If you cannot find a one on one playmate for your dog. In Newmarket there is a Doggie daycare called K9 to 5 and the dogs are loose there and they have all kinds of toys and supervision. It might be a bit far for you, there should be something similar in the Thornhill/Richmond Hill area.

Anna_C
February 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about leaving him with strangers and especially multiple dogs...It's probably quite safe but at his age I would prefer to supervise him myself, he already got bit on the nose since he is EXTREMELY playfull and I haven't met a dog that matched his enthusiasm yet.

SnowDancer
February 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Other than your parents' Dachshunds, has your pup allowed other dogs to enter your home - specifically dogs that he knows. Sometimes the best of buddies on the street are not so friendly when they are on "home" territory. Although your parents' Dachshunds are much smaller, trust me on this, except for their bad backs and the fact that too much rough play could cause a back event, they would put your much bigger pup through his paces - even when he reaches full size. Mine sure did when I had the little/big darlings.

Anna_C
February 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I actually haven't had them at my home, my cat is having a really hard time adjusting to the dog so I didn't want to traumatize her even more, I would usually just go to my parents house (plus they have a nice size backyard). My parents little one-she had quite a few problems with her back, she was paralyzed for a little while because of her back injury...Nero has a bad habbit of jumping on her and it really concerns me plus she lets out a yelp when he does it, that's why I was hoping to find a larger dog that he can play rough with.

BusterBoo
February 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM
When I wanted Buster to have playdates, I enrolled him in obedience classes and agility classes. Each session was 6 weeks long (Sunday mornings) so he got to see a variety of dogs (big and small!). While a good portion of the class is structured, the dogs got two breaks to run around and let loose! Not sure if you have obedience classes near you, but it is an option! :shrug:

Anna_C
February 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks! I will look into it...

SnowDancer
February 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Agree, Anna, no playing with Nero and the Dachshund - especially since the back issue has already presented itself. My last little guy died 10 months to day of his surgery - and a few months later a Dachshund group was formed in Toronto for meet and greets and play times - certainly playing amongst themselves can be hazardous to their backs - heck just walking down the hall.... We do send our Eskimo to be socialized (literally and figuratively) once at week at his groomer's - she also offers some day care services. This gives him some contact with other dogs in a controlled environment. He started going there at 5 months. If you can find some place that offers this type of service I would go for it. My Eskie was also attacked on the street (not provoked by the little barker himself), but he is good at the daycare, especially when he goes behind the gate. Many of the dogs are big - and he wants to be big, but at 22 lbs., his long legs provide all of the height he will get. BUT, if we still had Dachshunds, I wouldn't do it, because I would be afraid of the tumbling about. Hope you find a place.

Luba
February 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I agree with Doggie Daycare places great for socializing.

Luba
February 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Oh and you need to do some basic obedience with the dog for recall and training. So if you do go to the dog park off leash your dog will respond to you. Have you done obedience training yet?

Masha
February 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Anna,

I live in the Yonge and Steels area and have a 7 month old GSD. On the weekends we take him to a leash-free dog park that is located in Markham. Its about a 15 minute ride from us. I found the park through the dog park listing on this site -- it seems to be the closest one to us. It is a very well taken care of dog park and we really enjoy it. I believe that they do not allow puppied under 4 months of age or any dogs that are not up to date with their vaccinations.

Here is the info, as copied from the dog park listing:

"Dog parks in Markham
Town of Markham (Miller Ave) , Woodbine and Hwy 407 hours: Open 24 hours, fenced, tables, poop bag dispensers handicapped access, parking.
Comments: This new fully fenced-in park is very spacious. It's located at Miller and Rodick Rd. Miller is one street south of the 407 on Woodbine. The park is on the North side of Miller.
Comments2: I run this park and would like to update you on our facilties. We now have a very elaborate & enclosed agility area. double gated entry, two large permanent wood canopy structures, wind breaks (winter), bush trails and new landscaping."

Anna_C
February 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
We're trying to train him by ourselves and it's going pretty well, he is very smart and catches on quickly...it's just the matter of him wanting to do it... I found the off leash park in markham as well and I will definetly try it, he does have all his shots but I haven't registered him yet since he will be neutered and microchipped soon. Would that be a problem? Do I need my registration with me to attend the park?

Masha
February 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Our pup is not neutered yet as well and we haven’t had issues with that (we are waiting another month or two to neuter him). I have seen dogs there that are not neutered, although very few. Just make sure that you watch him carefully… No one has asked us for any papers… As long as he has his vaccination tag (the one you hang on the collar) I think it should be fine…. No one has ever approached me to ask for any registration documents or anything of that sort…

Anna_C
February 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
oh ok...thanks alot! We'll be definetly trying it this weekend!

jessi76
February 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
just a sidenote - you may consider a kennel cough vaccine if you plan to frequent dog parks, daycares, or doggy playgroups/socials. it won't protect against ALL strains, but will certainly help against a few common ones.

Anna_C
February 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
is that not one of the shots that your vet gives?

Masha
February 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
My pup got his kennel cough vaccine as part of his regular puppy vaccine schedule... isn't it the one they drip into the nose?

edwpang
February 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Anna,

I live in the Yonge and Steels area and have a 7 month old GSD. On the weekends we take him to a leash-free dog park that is located in Markham. Its about a 15 minute ride from us. I found the park through the dog park listing on this site -- it seems to be the closest one to us. It is a very well taken care of dog park and we really enjoy it. I believe that they do not allow puppied under 4 months of age or any dogs that are not up to date with their vaccinations.

Here is the info, as copied from the dog park listing:

"Dog parks in Markham
Town of Markham (Miller Ave) , Woodbine and Hwy 407 hours: Open 24 hours, fenced, tables, poop bag dispensers handicapped access, parking.
Comments: This new fully fenced-in park is very spacious. It's located at Miller and Rodick Rd. Miller is one street south of the 407 on Woodbine. The park is on the North side of Miller.
Comments2: I run this park and would like to update you on our facilties. We now have a very elaborate & enclosed agility area. double gated entry, two large permanent wood canopy structures, wind breaks (winter), bush trails and new landscaping."

We also go to this dog park on weekends. Butter is a 14 month labradoodle. I have seen quite some GSDs in the park... Good thing about the dog park is the "elaborate & enclosed agility area" in which newcomers can go and play in there if their dogs feel intimidated by other dogs.

Anna_C
February 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Oh wow, sounds like a really nice dog park...Definetly will visit this weekend. Maybe we'll even run into you guys there...

SnowDancer
February 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Anna - I would ask your vet specifically about the Kennel Cough shot. Many vets do not give it as part of the puppy or other annual shots, because people complain when despite the shot their dogs still come down with Kennel Cough - which of course is like the flu - so many forms of it. I asked for it specifically because of the once a week socialization, dog boarding - and because in 1976, before any treatment was available, our Beagle developed a really bad case of it and nearly died (so I had incentive). My dog is nearly 4 years old and has had 3 KC shots - but this June did develop KC - a different strain than vaccinated for - but I got him to vet immediately, she prescribed a cough suppressant - and he was clear in 2 days. Apparently if a dog has been vaccinated for KC the recovery can be quicker. RE REGISTRATION, if you mean being licensed by the City, then I would do this before going to the dog park, if the "dog police" are out in full force as they are in Toronto and have been for the past 1 1/2 years. Several people I know have been stopped (including me) and have been asked to show proof of licensing. If your dog isn't licensed you get X number of days to do so and must provide proof or pay a really big fine. You will need to provide proof of rabies vaccine - my vet just called in the info for me. Now we just renew on-line.

Masha
February 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
This park is located in Markham and Anna is from Thornhill, which is outside of Toronto’s jurisdiction... I wonder if those areas have the same licensing laws...... My dog is registered with the CKC, is that enough for the ‘licensing?’ or is there a separate licensing that is required (aka another tax from the city of Toronto… grrrr) ?

Anna_C
February 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Apparently because I'm east of yonge st I have to pay the dog licencing fee to Markham. I filled out the form and I'm just waiting for him to get neutered (in a week) and once I get all the paperwork from my vet I'm going to send it in. I really hope if I do run into the bylaw guys they won't give me too much trouble...

edwpang
February 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
This park is located in Markham and Anna is from Thornhill, which is outside of Toronto’s jurisdiction... I wonder if those areas have the same licensing laws...... My dog is registered with the CKC, is that enough for the ‘licensing?’ or is there a separate licensing that is required (aka another tax from the city of Toronto… grrrr) ?

I am from Richmond Hill, and I registered Butter last year with the town hall. I got a tag for it. It's pretty cheap, only $10 for neutered dog, $25 for intact dog. If you have more dogs the licensing fee increases to $20 per addtional dog. But about the dealine for the registeration it's pretty strange:"Richmond Hill residents are reminded that every dog in Richmond Hill must be licensed yearly on or before December 31. "

mona_b
February 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
My dog is registered with the CKC, is that enough for the ‘licensing?’ or is there a separate licensing that is required (aka another tax from the city of Toronto… grrrr) ?

It's not the dogs registration papers,it's the city dog licence you need.:)

Anna_C,if you have any issues if you are stopped,just let them know that you are waiting for him to get neutered.:)

Also if I'm correct,a pup doesn't get registered till the final shots(16 weeks)..Now I'm going back here.And they may have changed it(I'm from Toronto)....So I got my dogs registered before they got done at 6 months.When they got done,I contacted the city and when I had to pay for the tag the following year,it was reduced.

It's better to be safe then sorry.So make sure your dogs are registered with the city.They are sooooooo cracking down on the dog licence.