Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vocal Dog

hay_lynda
February 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I have a vocal dog. He is a tall black border collie/lab mix. When we are outside playing in the snow he tends to get little icicles stuck on the hairs around his chin.(he has a little goatee) When wer are at the dog park he gets excited and barks, he is not viscious, has never bitten another dog or human, he wags his tail as he barks, and if another dog barks back at him he immediatly backs down. Anyways, this morning a lady took her dogs away from the park because he was playing and barking with them. He never barks at home, only when we are out with other dogs and he wants them to chase him. I sometimes think he is saying "hey, look at me" once he is running and playing with the dogs he stops. In my opinion if a dog cant bark at the dog park, than where can he bark? Am I wrong in feeling that it is ok to let him bark when he is playing at the dog park? :pawprint:

Writing4Fun
February 20th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Some dogs are just chatty. Ever watch an agility competition? It can be quite funny sometimes. The little deaf shelty in my agility class barks constantly when running the obstacles ... must sound funny inside her little head. :D

As long as he's not exhibiting aggressive behaviour, then I don't see a problem with him barking. That's just me, though. :shrug: Some people might have issues with it for whatever reason ... maybe they've had bad experiences in the past?

hay_lynda
February 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM
thanks for the reply. What kind of dog is that in the picture. it is beautiful. I would love to take Diego to agility classes, he loves balls and fetch so I may take him fly ball in spring. yes, I think some people have issues with the barking thing. I do keep a close eye on him and if a dog seems frightened I call him back. Although he does'nt usually go for the scared dogs he usually barks at the playful ones that he wants to chase him. I put pictures of him in the pictures section of the forum, under pictures of Diego:)

Kristin7
February 21st, 2008, 10:18 AM
In my opinion, if you're out at the dog park, let dogs be dogs (as long as they aren't being aggressive). Why people who get uptight about barking even go to those places is beyond me. Sounds like your dog is just having fun.

hay_lynda
February 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Thank you, I agree whole heartedly, especially because he is so good at home. He never barks inside. But as I mentioned in another post he is my dog and in my eyes he is just about perfect, so my judgement may be a little off. I am goint to the park tonight and if he does it again(which he will because he does it whenever he plays, he barks) I may talk to some of the other dog mom and dads I know and see if they can give me an outsiders view of is it bad behavior, or is it ok to be a vocal dog at the dog park. I'll let you know what they say:highfive:

Ford Girl
February 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
I agree, in your other post you were a bit put off from the guy that told your dog off...I can see that, we all side with our babies...(it's like our mothers, we can all complain, but our DH's better zip it! :rolleyes:)

But if the barking is as you described...just playful barking at other dogs, not humans, then by all means...bark away doggie at the dog park...dogs can be dogs there...I hear lots of barking...

But just know, that other people will react differently, telling your dog to be quiet or leaving the park becuase your dog's barking is not to their liking, then you can't take it personally...it's their right to not like the barking...I personally leave if there are puppies at the park and I dont pay any attention to any puppies, ever (for my own dog's agression issues)...people always tell me..."you can pet my puppy you know" and when I say no thanks, they take offense...

Heck, the park I go to...some people wear white jeans and fancy shoes and carry their dogs around and get visible mad if they get dirty!!

I live in a duplex too, with a small yard, so we try so hard to keep our dog from barking...she barks tho, especially at night, for no forseen reason, we try to correct it, but dogs are dogs...there is a difference between obsessive barking and barking to communicate.

edwpang
February 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I have a vocal dog. He is a tall black border collie/lab mix. When we are outside playing in the snow he tends to get little icicles stuck on the hairs around his chin.(he has a little goatee) When wer are at the dog park he gets excited and barks, he is not viscious, has never bitten another dog or human, he wags his tail as he barks, and if another dog barks back at him he immediatly backs down. Anyways, this morning a lady took her dogs away from the park because he was playing and barking with them. He never barks at home, only when we are out with other dogs and he wants them to chase him. I sometimes think he is saying "hey, look at me" once he is running and playing with the dogs he stops. In my opinion if a dog cant bark at the dog park, than where can he bark? Am I wrong in feeling that it is ok to let him bark when he is playing at the dog park? :pawprint:

My dog, Butter is similar to your dog. He does bark once or twice a day at home when he hears strange noise. In the dog bark, he barks when other dogs bark, and barks to get other dogs' attention. He also barks when other dogs refuse to play with him... Some people do feel uncomfortable about barking in dog parks...

hay_lynda
February 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
white jeans? to the dog park, serves them right if they get dirty. I was once outside with a big string of dog slobber stuck on my hair (someone elses dogs, Im sure) but I laughed it off. You go to the dog park your bound to get dirty. anyways thank you for the posts. Its nice to know that I am not in the irrisponsible dog category for letting him bark a bit at the dog park. Its also nice to know that I am not the only one that feels their pet can do no wrong. Its hard not to be put out when others feel that my "angel":pray:tehe is not to their liking or worse, but oh well, cant please everyone, by the way I stopped at two of the parks I normally go to last night and he did not bark once. But then again he was the centre of attention last night and did lots of running and playing so he did not have to bark to get his playmates to play with him. (hes such a goooood boy!):cloud9: