Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted doggy with potty troubles.

kylamcdonald
February 20th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have this wonder dog, Bichon-Shih tzu (we suspect the breed) we've had since October 2007. My daughter found him all full of knots, no collar, and running around at her school park. The kids were trying to catch him, but she just sat on the ground and he came to her. Well I met him, now Scooby (we named him) and fell in love right away.

We have a Bichon-Shih tzu already, Rozzi, that we picked out from birth and have spent many long hours training her and we have her spayed at 6 months. She's now 2 years old and fully trained; just a wonderful addition.

Scooby; however, is not there yet. When we brought him in, we realized pretty quickly that he wasn't neutered as he was lifting his leg at every chance. So we had him check by the vet for chips tattooes but found nothing, so we had him tattooed and neutered. The vet figured he was about 8 months went his neutering occured. This was in November 2007.

Now our home smells like a poop box, :(.. He's trained enough during the day; he will hold it long enough for my daughter to come home for lunch and let him out. Rozzi knows the commands of "go pee pee" and we want Scooby to pick it up.

Scooby seems to sometimes understand these commands, but most time he's not. He stands outside confused. The accidents from him usually occur during the night/morning.

I have a doggy gate I keep up at night so Scooby can't get into the living room, but I find those poop treats in wierd places, it's like he's hiding them. I'm not sure of course what happened before we adopted him, but I'm wondering if some of his behaviour might have been from some abuse, and if so, how do I break him of this?

If I have to start from scratch with him, I'll try, I'll try anything at this point. I know he's a smart little guy and is worth everything to me and my family. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BMDLuver
February 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Perhaps his previous home he did not go out to do his business? Have you tried the litter box alternative? Also, if you are finding treasures around the house you need to keep him with you when loose which you can do by tethering a 20ft lead to yourself. That way he can't sneak off quietly and leave a present for you to find later. Bear in mind it's not exactly tropical where you live so he may lose the urge so to speak when he hits the cold air. Just some thoughts.

Shaykeija
February 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe he was pee pad trained?

growler~GateKeeper
February 21st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I think it's a good idea to start right from the beginging of puppy house training. This way Rozzi will not pick up any bad habits from Scooby ;) Since he was found in that condition outside, it is possible he was never properly house trained :shrug: