Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone know what these are?

thegrinch1973
February 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I was just adopted tonite by the sweetest little kitten. I heard her mewing outside my door and when I opened it, she literally jumped on my shoulder! We are in the middle of a pretty nasty winter storm so she will at least stay the nite and I'll figure out what to do with her in the morning.
Sadly, she has had all four paws declawed and a while ago too, they are well healed.
She is infested with fleas and I have already treated her with a pretty effective flea pesticide but I noticed these hard, flaky, crystalline clusters on her back, and to the side of her spine and I don't recognize what they are. Does anyone know? I really hope she doesn't have lice, I have a house full of beasties and kids and cannot afford to come down with an infestation of lice but I won't throw her back outside. I going to confine her in the bathroom tonite both for her safety and ours, my cats are NOT declawed and she only weighs a breath or two. She really is quite beautiful and it is a shame that she is missing from her home.

dustybird
February 20th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Awww poor little thing, wonder how long she's been outside. Glad she found you. It's hard to tell from the picture to know if it's lice, I have seen a dog infested with lice and you couldn't see the lice until they started crawiling up the sleeves of a white lab coat. Maybe it's really dry skin from being outside, fleas and lack of nutrition or some sort of dermatitis from the fleas etc... do they move around. Really have no idea, just really glad she found you .

On a side note it's awful that she's a four paw declaw...two paws are bad enough.

She's a cutie :lovestruck::grouphug::grouphug:

thegrinch1973
February 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM
They don't move at all, they are in clusters right at the base of the fur follicle and almost look like concrete or something. It is very hard to the touch. when I try to remove it, it pulls the fur out with it. It is all along her spine and on her sides. It is white in colour and very hard between the fingertips. It doesn't break apart when I try to crush it between my fingertips.. I will try giving her a bath tomorrow and retreat her with the flea spray. I've also wormed her and will worm her again in the morning.

coppperbelle
February 20th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I don't know about lice in cats but I work in an elementary school and know what they look like in kids. From what you describe it sounds very similar. They are usually stuck to the base of the hair, they are hard and look like a small piece of rice. If you remove one, pull it off to the end of the hair, then use your two nails to squeeze it. If it cracks then it is probably lice. Lice themselves are hard to see because they are very tiny and usually the color of the scalp/skin so it is usually the eggs we notice first.
In people the lice need to go from host to host so if you kept her in the bathroom last night make sure you clean all the surfaces realy well. Wash any towels, carpets in the washing machine and then dry them in the dryer. Anything that can't be washed can be put outside in the cold in a garbage bag for a week. Unlike fleas they cannot survive long periods.

clm
February 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I don't believe cats or dogs can get lice. Looks to me like dandruff, cats and dogs get dry skin. I would get one of the topicals for the fleas from your vet, can never remember the names. Come in a little tube that you squeaze the liquid out on the back of the neck. Need to do the treatment once a month for (again, I can't remember) a few months. Much easier on the animals skin than the powders and shampoos.

Cindy

clm
February 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
She's an adorable kitten by the way. :D

Cindy

Love4himies
February 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Oh no, the poor kitty.

chico2
February 20th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Poor little girl,from what I see,it looks like Dandruff,a severe case of dry skin??
My Chico gets Dandruff in the winter,not as badas what this looks like though.
I am not even going to mention how I feel about 2 amputations,much less 4:evil::evil::evil::censored:
She is very lucky she even survived out there:cat:

Ford Girl
February 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Dogs can get lice for sure, they just had an outbreak at Dazy's day care...it's different then human lice. I would just google feline lice, you will find all kinds of different info.

When I researched further thent he info the day care gave me, about canine lice, I found all kinds of contradicting info (big surprise there!!:rolleyes:) so I called 4 vets at random, all gave me different treatment and "warnings" about it...

BAILEYSMUDGE
February 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I don't see why cats "can't" get lice... I'm sure it's possible...but, from the picture it looks like some form of eczyme...mind you ...there's a difference between "flakes" and "hard crusty pieces"... luckily.. I've never met up with lice. Hope there's a way for her to get better.... you're the best for caring :cloud9:

danaekitty
February 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
So what are you going to do? Post signs to see if she's a neighbourhood cat? Or maybe try to integrate her into your brood...:thumbs up Thanks on her behalf for bringing her in out of the cold, and I hope whatever she's got isn't too annoying for her. Poor itchy girl.

krdahmer
February 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Cats can definitely get lice... we caught a few feral kittens and the vet called to say they had lice and I was pretty grossed out and buggy for the next few weeks... they just treated them there at the vet with Revolution or something. As for that, it looks more to me like a skin issue my guys get smaller spots like that from time to time, where a spot of skin gets really dry and crusty and then falls off taking fur with it. She really should see a vet as soon as possible though, she could have been out for a while and picked up all kinds of goodies... And bless you for welcoming her in!!:angel2:

interested976
February 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM
sooooooo cute

BusterKitty
February 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Somebody out there has a brain but doesn't use it!:wall:There's no need to declaw a cat's back paws except for pain! I bet they were feeling funky >.>

I don't think it looks very much like lice. It looks a lot like a crystal instead of an egg or anything. Does she scrath herself a lot? Wait...if you come in contact with her, won't you get lice, and then others will get lice?:confused:

Good luck with her! She's so cute!:cloud9:And your camera is funny: 2015:laughing:

rainbow
February 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I think it's lice and those are the eggs (called nits) that are sticking to the fur. The eggs have a really hard outer shell. You will have to keep her away from your other cats but feline lice will not affect humans or dogs.

She is very pretty but it is a shame she is declawed and outside. :sad: You are an angel for taking her in. :angel: I hope it was an accident that she got outside and that her owners are looking for her. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

t.pettet
February 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't bathe her before she sees a vet as evidence (looks like seborrhea,
since her coat looks greasy/stiff) will go down the drain. Shampooing with a shampoo not specifically made for the condition will aggrevate the condition by drying her skin further. She is so lucky to have chosen you as her savior.

thegrinch1973
February 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Well whatever they were they are gone now. I gave her a bath and took a lice comb to her and whatever it was, came right out.
I put up posters around my town, called the local vets and the SPCA and so far, no one has come forward. :cry:
Sadly, she is not integrating well with my clan and while she is very friendly to me and my fiancee, Crash is getting very aggressive towards her and Splash is not eating and has started pulling her own fur out. Crash is the queen of the house and she is very protective of her sister.
Things are not looking good for my visitor and unfortunately, if her family doesn't come forward soon, she's going to have to go the SPCA. :sorry: I hate the thought of sending any animal to the pound but I can't risk my girls.
My puppies are also getting very aggressive towards what they see as an 'interloper' and don't like the idea of an intruder in the house.
I'm really afraid they will harm her.
At least she's put on some weight, been cleaned up and has had a safe haven for a little while. I will try my best to find her either her origional home or a new home but her visit here is coming to an end. :cry:
I can only hope that the guardian angel that sent her to me will now step up and find her a more permanant home.

chico2
February 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear that,but you took her in at a very crucial moment to her,might even have saved her life.
I am hoping someone here,who knows Guelph can help you out finding a no-kill shelter,or a shelter that has fosterfamilies.
You'd think,someone who had her mutilated all 4 paws,would be missing her and wanting her back:frustrated:unless she as a result of declawing has aggression-issues
I know you are not doing this easily,but sometimes it just does not work out,good luck in finding her a safe place:fingerscr

Love4himies
February 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I wonder how long she has been missing. There was an article about a declawed cat that AC returned to it's family after being missing for 18 months in Brampton. That family had given up hope of finding their cat, maybe this kitty's family has too.