Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tumor on cat tail

DadaLeigh
February 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
My cat is about 12 years old and ever since I can remember she's had an abnormal tumorous growth at the very base of her tail. For years it went untouched until the past couple. The vet has told us it is not possible to perform surgery since it is in such an awkward spot and a tail removal may not even clear the problem. The vet said that all growths are considered cancerous and since she's had it for a long time it may not spread. She has not changed her behavior and is healthy otherwise. Here's my problem, she continuously licks it and bits it causing bleeding. I apply polysporin (according to vet) as well as cleaning the area. It appears red, with puss as well as dark spots within the growth. Recently she has been at it so much I'm trying to wrap it daily, but even thats hard as you can imagine wrapping something at the base of a cats tail... (I cut the hair around it) Any suggestions as to what I can do to help it and/or make her stop touching it... Thank you!!! I'm in a sticky situation.

t.pettet
February 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Perhaps a second opinion would give you some options.

sugarcatmom
February 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Has your vet ever mentioned trying steroids? I'm usually not a big fan of prednisone, but it can be a life-saver in some cases. I agree that at this point, a second opinion might be useful.