Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scratchy McVoicerson

phoozles
February 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The good news is Jake is not only still successfully losing weight, but he's running around and playing more than he has since he was a kitten! :thumbs up

The bad news is that ever since he was sick (when we first got Alley - around the end of October), his voice has had problems. It was gone completely, but now it's just scratchy/raspy. The odd time I hear a glimmer of a normal meow come out of it, but mostly he sounds like an old man who has smoked WAY too many cigarettes.

It's been a few months now with very little progress - does this sound normal to anyone? He spends a lot of time hissing at Miss Alley, so maybe he hasn't had time to rest it? Can anyone think of something along the lines of a kitty losenge that could fix it?

I miss his pretty little meow! :sad:

Marko, I know you mentioned that Ziggy's voice had changed - is it raspy, or just a different tone? Has anything changed?

phoozles
February 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Nobody? :sad:

krdahmer
February 20th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yikes... I saw this a while ago and thought I had replied! :sorry:

Um... I don't have much advice, I just know that a severe URI can cause long term issues in some cats... my Buddy had a bad one when I first took him in and ever since has been slightly mouth breathing and also has a slightly raspy meow. I have nothing to compare it to though because it has been that way since I took him in as he was already sick before I got him and rushed him to the e-vet. :shrug: Maybe it will just take some time for yours to get his full voice back...

phoozles
February 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
That's okay - but I was feeling neglected there for a second :o

I feel slightly comforted that I'm not the only one going through this - I was just worried that too much time had gone by. I don't really want to take him back into the vet just for a scratchy throat after all he's been through. There are times when it sounds like it's getting better, but he's still constantly hissing at Alley, so maybe it doesn't get a chance. :shrug: :sick:

I just wish I could slip him a Halls and make it all better - he had the sweetest little meow before all of this!

Jim Hall
February 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Aww your right i think Jake doesnt give his vocal cords much rest

Does he always hiss? LOL If he seems to be eating ok and no pain
i guess thats gonna be his voice

My girls voice is more like a screech but every once in a while i get a real meow

phoozles
February 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
Jim - he hisses A LOT - poor guy really isn't a fan of that little hell cat Alley. :evil: He'll play with her from time to time, but their play fights usually end with a hiss - and it actually seems to be getting a little worse.. He'll hiss at her even if he's lying down and she just innocently walks by :sad:. He's actually been a little worse ever since she came back from her spay - I think he thought she was gone and never coming back! :rolleyes:

Otherwise, yeah, he's eating, playing and doing everything else like normal. I guess I'll just have to deal with it - but if anyone finds out about a throat healer, I'd love to hear about it! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
Maks has kind of a raspy meow. When I first brought him home, you could barely hear his meow. The vet examined him and said he was fine. Now and then I get a clear meow from him, but for the most part, it's raspy.

Love4himies
February 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
I remember reading somewhere the calicivirus that attacks the lungs and throat can cause a cat's voice to change to a raspy sound.

phoozles
February 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hmmm.. Maybe I should go back to giving him the L-Lysine I have - I stopped it once the rest of their symptoms went away, but it couldn't hurt, right?