Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet First Aid Certification

deb12
February 19th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Okay another question, not sure if this is the right board,

I would like to get certified in first aid for pets, was wondering if anyone knows of a course or someone that can at least teach first aid.

Thank you,
Deb

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I know here, the Red Cross occasionally sponsors a class in first aid for pets. But most of the same principles apply for human and pet first aid, so if you can't find one specifically for pets, one for human first aid would at least give you the basics. Once you've taken it, your vet may be able to give you pointers on to adapt the techniques to animals.

Chris21711
February 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
My daughter took a one day course and is now certified. The certification lasts for two years and then has to be renewed just the same as with humans. She took hers in Ajax which would probably be a bit far from you. If you looks in the Dogs in Canada Annual, there are a list of instructors, you could probably find one closer to you.

Longblades
February 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I know here they have been sponsored and advertized by St. John's Ambulance so they might know who is doing them.

phoozles
February 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The local college has a couple of weekend courses on pet first aid - you might want to check a college in your area as well..

SnowDancer
February 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I am bad in geography. How far is Acton from Guelph? I expect Guelph University might offer something or know of courses a person could take - maybe check with the Small Animal Clinic.

deb12
February 19th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Guelph is only 20 minutes away, I forgot about the University. I went to that college for a year or two. Cool, I will keep my eyes and ears open to take the course, as I would love :lovestruck: to learn more about it.

Deb

SnowDancer
February 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
For one my geographic skills weren't off. In high school I got 70 out of 70 on theory and 5 out of 30 on maps. Not good. I love the Guelph Small Animal Clinic - wonderful clinic when you need life saving surgery at midnight - but a heck of a drive from Toronto in an emergency situation. I envy the short distance from you home.

deb12
February 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well I guess I should be blushing now that I have someone envying where I live!!!:laughing:

Thanks Snowdancer :thumbs up

I envy you have the pets right now, I can not wait to get a pooch and or furkid of my own, I just want to be ready for everything, especially that I love to hike for hours. That way if anything happens I can do something to help at that point till I get the pup to a vet.

Thanks,
Deb