Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To Crate or Not to Crate?

Amanda00
February 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi,
Yes, I have ANOTHER question, lol! So Luna, on her first night, wasn't in a crate and she didn't have an accident or anything. Last night, she was in her crate and slept well in it until she was let out to go pee outside. Once she came in it was playtime! My husband went to work and put her in the crate. I had to get up because Luna was having nothing to do with that crate. So this set off a chain reaction of me getting up, Luna was up, then Zoe, my daughter, decided it was time to get up.
So ANYWAY, my question is, are there some dogs that just do better without a crate? Or is it something very good to use for all dogs? All of the dogs I had growing up were not crate trained, so I just don't know much about it.
TIA, Amanda

sugarcatmom
February 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Here's some good info for you on long-term (pen) vs. short-term (crate) confinement areas: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-playroom-amp-doggy-den

I tend to think crate-training is a good idea because you just never know when it might come in handy. Even if you don't think you need it now, there may come a time when you do.....

BigRover
February 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Crate training your dog is a great idea regardless of how good your puppy seems to be.

It's good for the dog to have their own safe space. Crates are great for that. Having your dog be used to being in a crate and feel secure there also helps in those times when you have to put the dog in a crate. ie. if you have to leave her at a vet overnight, if you're cleaning up or having construction done and it's safer for the dog to be kept secure, if you're traveling in a car, if you have to leave her with some one else..

I don't know how old your puppy is. You had her for the first night, does that mean she's an 8wk old baby? In any case, as dogs mature they some times go through trial phases when they appear to have forgotten their training. They're just testing you. Having them already crate trained at that point simply makes reinstating the house rules that much easier.

I can't think of a single reasonable point why not to crate train.

Amanda00
February 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much for the info! We got her a large crate for when she's a bit bigger and she really seems to be liking her smaller crate right now. She'll go into it on her own now, so that's promising!

BusterBoo
February 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I was totally against crating until.....Buster! :rolleyes: I had never crated any of my dogs but found that Buster was just too destructive and also hard to potty train. So, now he sleeps on my bed all night but during the day when I am away, even for an hour, he goes in his crate (aka "house"). He doesn't have to worry about getting into something and I don't have to worry about coming home to a mess (or a sick doggie!)

Amanda00
February 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Ok, so I read the article on the link that sugarcatmom sent, and I have a question. We don't really have a big enough area to do the whole puppy den thing, so would she be ok for more than 1 hour in her crate? My husband said that he read on a website that you add 1 to the number of months that the puppy is and that is approx. how many hours they can go without a bathroom break. So theoretically Juno (yeah my hubby changed the dog's name, but now it's fixed and no more name changes) should be able to go for 3 hours without a bathroom break. Also, her puppy crate is just the right size, so I guess she probably wouldn't really go to the bathroom in there unless it was an emergency.

jessi76
February 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
1 hr per mth old + 1 is reasonable crating time. I wouldn't push it any longer than that, and I'd try to let the pup out before that last hour if possible. I realize it's not always possible though, so just do your best to stick to that general time rule.

I agree w/ the crate training, it's VERY useful throughout the dog's life. for vet trips, incase of injury, a safe place away from stressful situations, to help house train, etc.... just be sure to ALWAYS keep it positive, and NEVER use it as punishment. it should always be a happy safe place for your dog and your dog should always enjoy being there.

Amanda00
February 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah the crate doesn't seem to be a bad thing right now. Sometimes she gets upset overnight because the cat likes to taunt her, but other than that I just come out, get the cat out and tell Juno it's ok. Also, if she does something she isn't supposed to, like eat shoes or something, and I tell her NO in a firm tone, she rips it to her crate and lays down. I don't want her to feel that the crate it punishment, and I've never put her in there as punishment, but I think she just feels safe in there and she knows she was doing something that puppies shouldn't be doing.

Longblades
February 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm confused. Is her name Luna or Juno? Both lovely names.

Longblades
February 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Tried to edit but can't. See you changed to Juno. Must not read in such a hurry.

06canyon
February 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Tia loves her crate. I got her when she was already trained to go into the crate. It is her safe place being she tends to be a nervous dog.