Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog going in for ear flap surgery this morning

michaz
February 18th, 2008, 06:20 AM
My Weim has a hematoma that is huge. He is going in for the surgery this morning. I have never seen this problem before but I do hear now that it happens quite often. Anyone else with this problem before?
Thanks, Michele

Winston
February 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
My boy almost had one...but it ended up shrinking up and did not require surgery....Good Luck

Would love to see some pics of your boy!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM
We've had the occasional hematoma and/or ear laceration. They'll drain it, then likely stitch it so open so it can drain. It will be messy for a few days, but it will eventually heal from the inside out. :thumbs up

Your poor baby...hematomas are sore! :dog: Give him a :grouphug: from hazel...and the Pack sends :goodvibes:, too.

Gibbons
February 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Sorry- this is threadjacking and I know it, but now I have questions about hematomas!

My parents dog just recently got a hematoma on his ear - I'd never heard of it before, and neither had they. When the vet heard how old he was (12) he rejected the idea of surgery to fix it and said "just leave it, it'll be fine, it shouldn't bother him at all." It got all hard, and now the dog's one ear flops down while the other stays perky, but he seems fine. He's never been one for rubbing his ears or anything, and his ear still doesn't seem to bother him.

Did the vet do wrong? Is it too late, now that it's hardened? If it's hurting him then I feel awful and I'm sure my parents will also. Should we go for a second opinion? My parents also live middle-of-nowhere, so finding another vet will require a good ol' drive but if it's necessary then they will.

hazelrunpack
February 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM
No, Gibbons, it's okay. :grouphug: Your dog's ear is healed and shouldn't be bothering him anymore.

If you don't allow the hematoma to drain (i.e., do the surgery), it still heals eventually--it just scars more and you get that thickening that you see in your dog's ear. It's only sore while the fluid is still filling the area between the layers of the flap--all that pressure on the nerves can cause discomfort. But once the body has resorbed the fluid and the scar tissue forms, the pain is gone.

So your vet made a perfectly acceptable judgment on treatment for your dog. :thumbs up Some dogs just aren't candidates for the surgery.

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
How did the surgery go, Michele?

Luba
February 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
:grouphug:hope everything went okay we are thinking about you.