Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loose skin at the back of the neck

Tails5
February 18th, 2008, 05:04 AM
How heavy will my cat be when it can hurt her by picking her up at the back of the neck? I've never done it because I'm worried, but my brother does it.

Shaykeija
February 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM
You should never pick a cat up like this. May I suggest you grab your brother the same way and ask him how it feels?

Tails5
February 18th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Good idea, except he's taller, heavier, and older than me. Thankyou for the information, I'll make sure he doesn't do it again.

chico2
February 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Good idea Tails,the only one picking up a cat by the scruff should be a kitty-mom.
When picking up a cat,his backlegs should always be supported,never ever pick up a cat by the neck:cat:

krdahmer
February 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
My vet explained that only kittens should be handled like that and only by their cat mothers. If we grab them like that she said that we can cause permanent damage to the muscles in that area. Mine are always picked up under the front legs and then immediately supported with the other hand under their back legs, if you don't support their back end you can also injure their legs(one of mine has bad knees and we really have to lift him carefully). (Or cradled for cuddles...:o)

jiorji
February 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
i wouldn't do that to a kitten either :sad:
but it's cute to see lions carry their cubs around like that :laughing: but i'm sure they know what they're doing.

Tell your brother to learn to pick up the cat properly. I'm sure the cat's not enjoying the treatment

Tails5
February 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Thankyou all for your replies, so you know, she gets cranky when she's picked up that way, her usual face looks like this::cat: but her cranky face looks like this::mad: