Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awesome people!Couple on vacation here are taking home sick cat!

heidiho
February 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
So 2 days ago a guy staying where i work came to front desk and aksed where nearest vet clinic was that would be open because by the pool under the chair is a sick cat(thought it was a young cat)had wound on top of head and very thin,so my boss tells him it will be expensive to get him looked at(she is not the nicest person) and he said that wasnt what he asked so i gave him a few places and then he asked how hard is it to get an animal off island,and i couldnt believe it,that they would do that.So i went to pool to see cat and his wife was there sitting w/ cat.So anyway i leave a message in there room this morning asking for an update,she just came down here and the cat is at Central maui animal hospital,getting treatment,it is actually an older cat,teeth will need to be pulled,they are not sure what the chances are 50/50,but they ARE taking cat back to Minnesota onyl $80.00,has to get a rabie shot,health cert,since it has no communicable diseases they can have him fly under the seat,not in cargo.I had to share that because i think that is the coolest,sweetest,awesomest thing i have ever have heard a person do,they have 3 cats at home,her name in gonna be Noel,because it is called Noelani where i work.She is gonna update me when they get home of how she is doing...I am also gonna write to our newspaper about them to.THANK GOD FOR PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

Frenchy
February 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
That is great Heidiho ! These people are :angel: and I'm sure Noel will return the favor by being forever thankful :cat:

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
That's a wonderful story, and what great people to want to help that kitty. It's things like this that give me hope that there are still some good people left in this world.

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
What a heartwarming story, Heidi! :thumbs up It restores one's faith in humanity a bit, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing. :grouphug:

onster
February 17th, 2008, 10:06 PM
What a sweet story :cloud9: They really are angels. I hope everything works out fine and she's back to tip-top shape soon.

Lukka'sma
February 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
How lucky for this cat to have been found by this couple.
Thanks Heidi

heidiho
February 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I wrote my letter to the newspaper about them,mailing out tomorrow,i still cant get over it,she had her whole vacation budgeted out,she was laughing when she told me that,yeah nicest story i have heard in ahwile,go to maui for vacation,leave with sick cat,awesome.........

ancientgirl
February 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, they're out there folks, "good people." Yay!:D:D

It's nice to hear about something good someone did for an animal instead of something horrible.

loopoo
February 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
that is an awesome story... it makes me feel so good when i do get to read about things like this :)

heidiho
February 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Aloha, Heidi!

We wanted to drop you a note and let you know how things are going with little Noel. Well, we made it home last Wednesday . . . it was a very long 12 hour flight and Noel cried pretty much the entire way . . . . I don’t think that we were the most popular passengers on the plane! ;o)

But, we got her home and to our vet who ran more blood tests and discovered that she has very severe hyperthyroidism. It's the worst case our vet has ever seen (a normal cat's levels are 2.0-5.0, high is considered 8.0-12.0, and Noel was . . . . 23.0!). So now we have her on drugs for that, as well as antibiotics, and she is showing some improvement. The vet is worried that as high as her thyroid levels are that they may be masking a more serious illness, specifically kidney cancer, but we won't know for 3 weeks when we take her back in and have her blood work run again. Assuming that she continues to make good progress, she will need dental surgery and removal of whatever is on her head . . . . but right now we are just taking one day at a time and hoping for the best with her next test results.

She is really a sweetie . . . . she's hungry as a horse and is quick to let us know when her food bowl is empty-she gives us a big squawk of a cry. As she has started to feel a little better she has started to interact with us more and check out the house. For being in such tough shape, she sure is a curious girl. So far she's not too keen on her new brothers and sister . . . if they come within a foot of her she gives them a big hiss, so they are curious about her but all giving her lots of space. Yesterday I gave her a mousie to play with and she batted it all over the place . . . that's the first sign of playfulness that we've seen from her, which we are taking as a good sign. And she is definitely all kitty . . . . she loves tuna and gives herself a big kitty bath when she's done. She only weighs about 5 pounds right now and should weigh between 10 to 12, so we have lots of fattening up to do, but we are good at that!

Thank you again so much for your help while we were there . . . . we so appreciate it. I will drop you a line again in a few weeks once we get the results of her additional tests . . . please keep your fingers crossed for her!

Talk to you soon,
Bonnie & Mark

heidiho
February 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM
They just sent me that update and i also wrote to the newspaper about them,and it got published today.

chico2
February 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Aww Heidi,people like that just brings tears to my eyes,happy ones:thumbs up
Be sure to tell them,if you write how wonderful we think they are.
Hopefully the little kitty will be ok:pray:

ancientgirl
February 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I really hope she'll be okay. She sounds like a fighter and deserves to be happy and healthy. Please keep us informed!

heidiho
March 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I will keep you posted,she said she eats like a trucker,and they read the article i wrote online and were really touched,makes me feel good.

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Can you post a link to your letter, heidi?

Poor kitty--they really are her :angel:s, as are you! :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm so happy to hear she's in a loving home and getting vet care :cloud9:

heidiho
March 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/500962.html?nav=18

CyberKitten
March 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Awwwwwwwwww Heidi, thx so much for sharing that!! I love good news stories like that!!! That is one lucky cat and I bet they will think they themselves are fortunate once they have kitty home. What thoughtful caring people!! :thumbs up:thumbs up

Thx too for writing the letter- it'll make others think!!! As well as thanking the couple- do you know if there is a link to the newspaper in Minnesota? I have always found Minnesotans kind friendly people - not that I know many but I did almost a year there of my hematology training at the Mayo and I did not meet one sing;e person I did not like and while I rarely dislike anyone, I like being able to be in a place where no one is negative!

heidiho
March 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I dont know if there is a link or not,yeah i had to write the fact that they didnt live here and took her home just blows me away,the $$ it must be costing to care for her also,what great great people.

Winston
March 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hey there Heidiho! What a great thing these people did! They are certainly Angels! The poor kitty must be wondering what the heck happened to her?? Now she can live well!! Thanks for bringing it attention because people need to hear these stories....

How is your Roxy girl? Miss hearing about her! Hope your all doing well....I would love to see an updated picture of her? is the job getting better for ya?

Cindy

loopoo
March 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
wow i hope that sweet girl gets healthy, so glad she is being taken care of and being given all the love and care in the world:)

rainbow
March 4th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I just read this thread now. It's great to hear stories like that :thumbs up .... these people are just as caring as you are. :angel:

How is your Roxy girl? Miss hearing about her! Hope your all doing well....I would love to see an updated picture of her? is the job getting better for ya?

Cindy

Me too ....we need an update. :D

heidiho
March 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
http://by127w.bay127.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?AllowUnsafe=True&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=844a9dd3-7dcc-4afa-95c3-357ab683365e&n=1863039261

heidiho
March 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
How great is that,i just love this story.

heidiho
March 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Roxy is ,well, perfect,at the door everyday when i come home,i switched her over to Wellness Core dry food,and give her canned now also,and she knows when it is time for canned food,soon as i put the can on the counter she is all over my legs rubbing on me,she has a thing though for attacking my legs,she will hide and when i walk by she dives and flips and latches on to my leg.Pretty funny ,but can be painful,not sure if ishould let her do it,but what the hell.

duttypaws
March 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
that is a gorgeous story.... they are my Heros for the week :) :cloud9:

heidiho
March 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I think they will be my heros for sometime to come...:thumbs up

Maxine
March 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
:cloud9:Wow, this is a beautiful story! Thank you Heidi for sharing, it feels good to know people care.

heidiho
April 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
http://by127w.bay127.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?Aux=14%7c0%7c8CA63929A51C080 %7c&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=943c5886-da7b-4691-90c5-77ea1148c9d1&n=666331467

heidiho
April 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hi, Heidi! So good to hear from you!

Noel is doing well . . . we had the 3 bumps on her head biopsied and they said there’s a very low chance that they are cancerous-yeah! However, she does have some kind of infection in them which we’ve been trying to control with antibiotics, which then made her sick to her stomach so she couldn’t eat, so we’ve taken her off of them for a bit, which then makes the infection come back-we just can’t seem to get out of that cycle. Eventually she’ll need to have them all removed, but the vet cannot put her under until she gains weight, which has been a challenge for her. She still likes to lay on her favorite blanket on the couch downstairs . . . last weekend I took her blanket away to wash it and, even though I laid a substitute blanket in its spot, for the entire 1 hour and 15 minutes I had it she sat mournfully on the floor next to the couch and refused to get back up and lay there. She’s such a smart, sweet girl.

We are getting a fence put up in our yard next month which will mean that we can let her outside once the weather starts to warm up. I think she will love that . . . . she spends lots of time looking out the front door and it seems she wants to be an outdoors girl. I have a huge flower and vegetable garden so she will have lots of fun exploring that and hopefully taking some long, nice naps this summer in the “jungle”.

How are you??? Hope all is well. I am glad that word is spreading about you on TripAdvisor . . .that is so fun!

Have a wonderful rest of the week and keep in touch!

Bonnie

heidiho
April 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
And as for roxy,what can i say,really i cant tell you how incredible she is,i love her more and more each day,if that is possible,her new favorite thing is rubber bands i will shoot it across the room and she brings it back,i think the texture of it trips her out but she loves it,or i will lay on the floor beside her and take it and put it over her paw and watch her try and get it off,she loves that too.My love for her is unlike anything,when i want to give up walk out of my job and say screw it(gas here is now 4.00 and food is insane,i just cant keep up)i think of her at home and couldnt imagine my life without her,and i swear she feels the same,her other new thing is when i first get up in the morning and go to the toilet,she lays at my feet and puts her head on my feet and just buries it there and purrs up a storm,i mean she like pushes her head into my feet and it is also almost trance like ,not sure what it is with the feet,but she is great,i have pics of her,but not on a disc so if anyone nows a way to transfer that i would be glad to send you pics of her to get them on here.,hope all is well with everyones furry family and you to

chico2
April 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Heidi,thank's for the update,it sounds like the little Hawaiian girl is doing ok:thumbs up
As for you and Roxy,I agree a little dependant fur-ball,whether cat,dog or anything else,can certainly pull us out of a funk much better than any pharmaceutical(sp?) stuff:cat:

SARAH
April 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
http://by127w.bay127.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?AllowUnsafe=True&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=844a9dd3-7dcc-4afa-95c3-357ab683365e&n=1863039261

http://by127w.bay127.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?Aux=14%7c0%7c8CA63929A51C080 %7c&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&ReadMessageId=943c5886-da7b-4691-90c5-77ea1148c9d1&n=666331467

Sniffles, the links won't open :cry:

What a sweet, sweet story! I wonder at their idea that a fence will keep a cat inside their back yard though ... it'll have to be some fence! Still, I don't think she'll venture too far off, not after what they did for her.

:grouphug: and :highfive: for people like that!

ancientgirl
April 4th, 2008, 10:15 AM
What a sweet, sweet story! I wonder at their idea that a fence will keep a cat inside their back yard though ... it'll have to be some fence! Still, I don't think she'll venture too far off, not after what they did for her.

:grouphug: and :highfive: for people like that!

Sarah, I've seen special fences made just to contain cats in yards. They look like they might actually work very well. If I had a yard I'd consider putting one of these up. You don't even have to use it around the entire yard, just a section of it if you want.

Cat Fence (http://www.catfencein.com/index.php)

Here's another one:

Purrfect fence (http://www.purrfectfence.com/)

SARAH
April 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Aha! Thanks :) the first one wouldn't work for us, with the fence we have, and the second ... what a price! They'll stay on leash :D

heidiho
April 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I guess it would be hard trying to make a cat who has lived its whole life outdoors,an indoor cat,i will be sure to have them send pics when they put it up.