Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At adopting my cat I got MEOW MIX from the previous owner...Is this dry food okay>>>?

cookiemykitty
February 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM
PLEASE HELP !! I want good nutrition for my new KITTY AGE 1 1/2 and all I got was Meow mix...I have been reading upon foods and it states that CORN is BAAADD for kitties....can you tell me which DRY FOOD is best for my kitty ?:confused:

sugarcatmom
February 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
There is no good dry food for cats, but Meow Mix is particularly bad. How about feeding wet food instead? The ultimate would be a raw food diet, if you're interested in doing some research on that: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php Otherwise, a good quality canned food like Wellness, By Nature Organics, Innova EVO, Nature's Variety, Merrick, etc, would be your best bet. Here is some info for you on why ALL kibble is bad for cats: http://www.catinfo.org/

krdahmer
February 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Great advice.... and I will add that although those are the best diets, there are some of us here feeding kibble, because we can't afford all canned diets, or our cats are finicky and will not eat canned/raw. There are many dry foods now available without grains... Wellness, California Naturals, etc you just have to research a little and see what is available in your area. They may be pricier but they last longer as the cats do not eat as much and less is wasted. I am currently feeding Performatrin Ultra Lamb(have 6 cats and one with allergies and two with sensitive tummies, so went through a lot of trial and error till I found one that works), I can live with the ingredients and do supplement with canned Merricks and Wellness.

Best of luck and congrats on your new addition! :cat::D

BusterKitty
February 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Since Meow Mix has commercials everywhere, it's likely that they're spending more money on advertisment than research. Notice how some foods listed by sugarcatmom and krdahmer aren't on TV? That's cuz they invest in research. Check out MANY sites on pet foods. Even searching "cat nutrition" on Google helps. Oh, and getting recommendations from the vet isn't always the best choice. They are paid to advertise at times. Ex: We'll give you $100 for every bag of [insert food here] purchased from here! That's what many companies might be offering to vet clinics. An important point is to read the ingredients. Cats are natural carnivores so common sense would say that they don't need very much carbs or that sort of stuff:D