Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cold feet? Try mittens!

otter
February 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Molly has been complaining LOTS about cold feet lately (who could blame her!)
http://lh5.google.com/murraymel/R1Ib9lxsOHI/AAAAAAAABKk/HhKGXZe3CVw/s400/IMG_1049.JPG

but i've been reluctant to shell out the big bucks for dog booties that I have no idea if she would wear or not so....

We tried these:
http://lh4.google.com/murraymel/R7iwdXLm0JI/AAAAAAAABRw/9Qm8j8AeC24/s800/IMG_1321.JPG
They are actually little toddler mittens, made without any thumbs. Got them for $2 at Zellers. They are nice fleece, with a nylon "palm", insulated and everything. They were connected by a string but I just cut it in half and now the string can be used to tie the "booties" on.

Molly modeling:
http://lh4.google.com/murraymel/R7T5xXLmz6I/AAAAAAAABOM/h9Lc8Qt57SY/s800/IMG_1293.JPG

http://lh5.google.com/murraymel/R7T5ynLmz7I/AAAAAAAABOU/Mdh48xIk62I/s800/IMG_1294.JPG

So far so good, they've worked pretty well though we've only tried the front paws. Maybe we'll invest in some real booties though... just in case she runs into some of her doggy friends out walking, I wouldn't want to embarrass her :rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think they look marvelous, otter! What a great idea! :thumbs up They look comfy and stylish. I'll bet Molly doesn't mind at all. I love the little snowflakes on them. :cloud9:

Frenchy
February 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Those are too cute ! :laughing: I love her face expression .... oh geez ma , you will , again , make fun of me on pets.ca ....

Love4himies
February 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM
That's ingenious! Molly fix, ahhhhhhh :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Those are great! And what a fantastic idea! You probably paid substantially less for those than for the ones they sell at the pet store!

Byrd
February 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
What a great idea, wish you had posted this before I went and spent $25 on some!!!!

Dracko
February 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM
$25! I spent $70 on mine! I'd definitely have tried the $2 fix first if I'd thought of it.

JanM
February 17th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Those are cool booties! They look absolutely great on her - and I'll bet she wouldn't be a bit embarassed - she's probably darn proud of them :D

jessi76
February 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
what a GREAT idea! I may have to borrow this idea for my own dog! :thumbs up

and I think they look nice on Molly!

onster
February 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM
FAB Idea. Looks so cute too! Honestly I think they look better than some of the more expensive doggie kinds...well cuter anyhow, with the snowflakes :thumbs up

I dont think Molly will be embarressed with her new booties. All the other doggies will be thinking what a fashionista she is! You know, like the ripped jeans fad and all that - next thing u know all the other doggies will be sporting mittens.:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Have you tried them on the back paws, yet, otter?

krdahmer
February 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Genius! :lightbulb::thumbs up I think they look great... and if she sayd they are working.... that was a wisely spent $2.00!!! ;)

otter
February 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry hazel, we haven't tried the back paws yet... i'm a bit worried about traction and her back legs slipping out from under her. Even without "mittens" her front legs go here, there and everywhere when she slips so I know she's OK with that, but when her back legs go i'm always so worried about her getting hurt. Seems snow build up is worst on the front paws so most important to take care of them anyways.

When I had Chloe (:rip:) we tried out little kiddie slipper/socks - you know the kind with a knit cuff and rubbery bottoms... they totally didn't stay on Chloe's feet, but we tried some different "mittens" on her too, with no luck. I might go back and try the slipper/sock things on Molly... they are pretty cheap too but will need a bit of modification to find someway to keep them on her feet. I'll let ya know if I come up with anything (though winter might be over before I ever manage to get to a store again, we might be snowed in until spring, it's blizzarding like crazy again :frustrated:)

I dont think Molly will be embarressed with her new booties. All the other doggies will be thinking what a fashionista she is! You know, like the ripped jeans fad and all that - next thing u know all the other doggies will be sporting mittens
Molly is quite the trend setter... she's got all her friends hooked on Cuzs, even after they thought they were kinda goofy :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
February 18th, 2008, 02:03 AM
:thumbs up Great Mittens Molly :lovestruck: very cute w/snowflakes on them :cloud9:

Ford Girl
February 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Great idea and pictures!!! :thumbs up :lovestruck:

I am so going to try this! I got Dazy some of the $60 Muttluks and returned them cuz she wore them in the house and they all went flying off, I figured outside would be worse...it was worth the return effort just to watch her flap around the house with all 4 booties on!! Funniest thing ever!! :laughing:

rainbow
February 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
What a great idea. :thumbs up And, the pic of her modelling them is too cute. :lovestruck: Could you put duct tape on the bottom so they're not so slippery? :o