Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Abcessed Wound

Radish
February 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hello all,

My accident prone kitty has once again got herself into trouble. A few weeks back she got in a scrap with a tomcat that was hanging around. She got a cut on her leg that didn't seem too serious so my family cleaned it and let it be (I was away and am usually the one who keeps a close eye on these things ;) ). About a week later, when I got home, an area about the size of a quarter was starting to swell and look a bit infected. The hair fell out and it burst open - not a big deal, I've dealt with abcesses like this one both my cats and horses. I soaked it (as best I could, Miss Yowler isn't the best patient... :laughing: ) and made sure it was draining. It seemed to harden up, heal from the inside, and close up. It was fine for a couple days and then a few days ago it started looking very purple/red (like a blood blister) and swell up again. She didn't want to put any weight on that leg yesterday. Well, last night it burst open again (with some help from a hot compress) and quite a bit of blood/white puss came out.

Today it's weeping/draining, the swelling has gone down, and it doesn't seem to be as painful. If it doesn't look much better within the next few days, off to the vet she will go but I'm hoping I can clear it up on my own like I have in the past - hers just seems a little more stubborn. I'm going to soak it several times a day again to keep it open and draining - should I just use plain water, salt water, saline solution? Should I (attempt... :laughing: ) to scrub it with anything? Are there any ointments I can put on to help clear it up?

I know exactly what I would do for my horse but not sure how well horse products would switch over from equine to feline. :D

rainbow
February 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I think you should take her to the vet asap as she needs antibiotics.

clm
February 17th, 2008, 03:06 PM
It's gone past the point where you should be trying to fix it. She needs antibiotics now or the infection will spread and make her very ill.

Cindy

Radish
February 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks - I have spoken with her vet.