Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat pregnancy?

LadyKreate
February 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
my female cat is an indoor cat.. my male cat is a fixed indoor cat.. both cats do not ever go out side.. im sure my female cay is pregant.. could my male cat have got my female cat pregant..?

kiara
February 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Highly unlikely! Have you ever heard of the "Immaculate conception"?? Sorry could not resist. ha! Ha! Get her fixed and she will live longer, otherwise you will have to put up with her whining everytime she is in heat. And what if she ever escapes, you are risking her having kittens and there are so many unwanted cats already.

14+kitties
February 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
How long has your male cat been fixed? It is possible if it has only been a little while that yes, she is pregnant. Sperm is still viable for some time after being neutured. The same as humans. A vet is the only one who could tell you for sure. Take her to your vet and s/he can check and also arrange her spay appt at same time.

rainbow
February 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Your cat will come into heat every two to three weeks if she is not spayed and will do everything she can to get outside to mate. :eek: Also, you will have a much healthier cat if you have her spayed. The risk of cancer and pyometra is not fair to your cat. :sad:

Female Dogs and Cats
Spaying removes the ovaries and uterus from female animals and so eliminates the possibility of ovarian and uterine infection or cancer. Bacterial infection of the uterus (pyometra) commonly afflicts older unspayed dogs and cats. As pyometra advances, bacterial poisons enter the bloodstream, causing general illness and often kidney failure. If the uterus ruptures, the dog or cat will almost certainly die. Pyometra requires emergency spaying, which may fail to save an animal already severely weakened. The best preventative is to spay dogs and cats while they are young and healthy.

Spaying can also prevent mammary gland tumors, the most common tumor in unspayed females dogs and the third most common in female cats.(1) A high percentage of mammary tumors are malignant: in dogs, nearly 50 percent; in cats, nearly 90 percent. Once a mammary tumor spreads to the lungs or bones, the cancer will be fatal. An unspayed dog is approximately 4 times more likely to develop mammary tumors than a dog spayed after only two heats, 12 times more likely than a dog spayed before her first year (by 6 -8 months of age).(1) An unspayed cat is seven times more likely than a spayed cat to develop mammary tumors.

Spayed dogs and cats avoid the dangers of giving birth. A birth canal that is overly narrow - due to injury (such as a broken pelvis) or, as in bulldogs, to a breed trait of narrow hips - make giving birth perilous. So does inadequate body size, which can leave a Chihuahua, toy poodle, Yorkshire terrier, or other small dog too weak to deliver puppies naturally.

LadyKreate
February 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
When she has the kittens..What is the best way to litter train them..?

Love4himies
February 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Why do you think your female is pregant if your male has been neutered??? Unless he was recently neutered?

BAILEYSMUDGE
February 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You won't need to train the kittens with the litter box... Mom cat does all that... until then, you'll need to keep them in a quiet secluded space where Mom and babies won't feel threatened. Wonder how she got pregnant??? Hmmm... Has a vet checked her (name?) out???

Frenchy
February 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
:confused: :confused:

Are you sure your cat doesn't have worms ?

allymack
February 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
hey, welcome to the board,
why do you think she is pregnant, did he stomach get bigger? if thats why, she might just have worms, which makes them bloat. the best way to know for sure is to take to the vet and get her checked.

LadyKreate
February 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
okay.. technically this cat dones not belong to me.. i say its mine because ive been taking care of it for sometime now.. the people that actually own this cat.. are having work done on their apartment and cant have the cat there.. im not sure if this cat has seen a vet.. i would hope.. should i take this cat into the vet were i take my other cat.. or have them take it in..?

t.pettet
February 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
The gestation period for a cat is from 60 - 67 days. If she has been with you longer than that then maybe your male is a daddy but only a vet can determine pregnancy accurately. Maybe she's having a false pregnancy or was mated before she came to stay at your place. If her owners are aware of the situation then they should have her checked out but if they are not responsible owners then you would be doing her a great service by having your vet look her over. If she is pregnant then he could tell the possible delivery date.

Love4himies
February 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
I would take it into your vet for a quick exam, he/she would be able to let you know if she is pregnant. Check her nipples, they should become larger, more pronounced if she is.

If she is, please start feeding her canned (kibble doesn't give her enough water to produce high quantities of milk), high quality growth food (kitten). Felidae, Wellness Kitten are both good and got my foster momma (Sweet Pea) through nursing 7 plump kittens and gained some weight herself while doing it. If you can, supplement her with some human meat (raw is best) that would be excellent for her too.

LadyKreate
February 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
thank you all very much for your feed back it was very helpful.. someone did ask what makes me think she is pregnant..? i dont know a whole lot about cats.. one day about a week or two ago.. i picked her up and i felt this bump.. (there are atleast four of them now) i thought it was a tumor or something along those lines.. so i told a friend.. he talked to some friend of his thats a vet.. she said its possible shes preganat.. but its not like she actually came and seen her, herself.. im gonna inform her owners that she needs to see a vet.. if they dont want to take her.. would it be wrong if i took her into my vet and then tell them that they cant have her back..?

phoozles
February 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
If you are concerned, you should definitely tell them that they should take her in - if she's not pregnant, she could have something else wrong with her.
I don't know if you'll be in the right to keep her if you take her to the vet yourself - have a talk with them first.

Ford Girl
February 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know what you can do legally, are you friends with these people? In your opinion, are they good cat owners? What have the owners said?? Do you really think they will say no?

She needs to see a vet, your friends should be notified and should take the cat to the vet...like yesterday! :) If they flat out say no, then you should atke avasive action for sure...the cat suffers more then your friend or yourself...

Love4himies
February 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Any updates?

LadyKreate
February 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
see went to the vet.. she is not pregnant.. she was fixed on tuesday.. she is doing good and healthy..

Frenchy
February 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
see went to the vet.. she is not pregnant.. she was fixed on tuesday.. she is doing good and healthy..

that is good news ! :thumbs up

LadyKreate
March 31st, 2008, 05:26 PM
yea.. she is doing well now.. she healed well from her surgery.. the bumps in her belly are now gone completely..