Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leash Training my puppy?

Amanda00
February 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,
My puppy, Luna, doesn't like to go for walks. She's a Pyrenees Shepard cross and is 10 weeks old, and I don't know if she's just never been on a walk with a leash, as we just adopted her yesterday. Also, do you think that we have to build some trust before we try going for a walk together?
TIA, Amanda

corgpinmom
February 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Take it one step at a time - Little steps 1st - hold a treat out in front of her and she will walk to it - Tell her good girl the entire time - after a bit she will get the idea that walking is fun and treats come with it - increase the steps between treats - That is how I train all my dogs to walk on a leash starting at about 8 weeks of age.

Longblades
February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Do you have access to a safe place to let her off the leash? Toddling along with you but off-leash at her tender age is the perfect way to start training her recall. Puppies at that very young age are very anxious to stay close to you. When she gets too far away she will likely scamper back to you and that point you call her to come, even if she is coming anyway. If you hide and call her to come she will probably be very happy to heed you. You can do this in the backyard. Extra special very yummy treats should be a reward for those COMEs.

I know, that's not what you asked. I'm getting to that. I find that introducing the leash after establishing the above means you already have a puppy that is used to walking along with you. The leash then is used merely to refine where puppy is in relation to you.

jessi76
February 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
What makes you think a 10wk old pup doesn't like walks?

i find it very hard to believe that a 10 wk old pup doesn't like to go for walks. mainly because a 10wk old pup probably doesn't know what a walk is. start by introducing the leash in the house. clip it on, reward the dog. (affection is fine at this point, treats can be rewards later). leave the leash on for 30 seconds to a minute. then build up time w/ the leash on, and start venturing outside. Ideally you are taking this pup outside OFTEN anyways, to house train, so use this time to work on leash manners as well.

be sure to use an appropriate leash - a lightweight puppy leash should be fine, with a sturdy, but lightweight clasp.

I think short fun walks should be a daily routine for you & the new pup. the key is to keep them SHORT and POSITIVE so the dog enjoys being out on a walk with you.

Luba
February 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Yes a lightweight leash to start is a wonderful idea. Just let her get used to having it clipped to her collar. Also be sure it's a collar she can't back up out of (martingale). I've had some close calls with pups backing up out of collars in dangerous situations.

Never drag her or be stern you want things to be upbeat and happy. Using the treat method in front of her is a great idea :thumbs up

allymack
February 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
start out with having her drag her leash around the house and every wheres, so she wil get used to walking around with the leash attached. also i agree with longblades, you can use this to start training her recall. dont leave teaching her to walk on a leash for long, because when she gets bigger its will be harder to get her to go for walks. a friends of mine has the same problem and they left it untill the dog is nearly a year old, so its is starting to get hard, but they use alot of tastey treats (small pieces of chicken, beef, or any special treat) and just coax her along, start with small walks and build up. also try walking her with another dog once in a while, just to get her excited about walks. hope this helps.:)