Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cody's Dry skin

Cody's family
February 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I have a one year old Sheltie. He is always scratching himself and seems to have very dry skin. I don't think it is an allergy because the scratching started in the winter. I am feeding him a good quality dog food. Could I add something to his food to help with the dry skin?

rainbow
February 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Try adding Salmon Oil capsules to his food. If the brand you buy doesn't have Vitamin E added to it then you will have to supplement with that a few days a week as well.

As an alternative, you can use coconut oil instead but make sure it says "premium extra virgin" on the label. You have to purchase it at a health food store.

crazydays
February 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Codys family!!

Check out Solid Gold for the product Seameal. It works wonders in areas of dry skin and coat problems.

"Solid Gold Seameal contains 60 trace minerals, 12 vitamins, 22 amino acids, digestive enzymes, and flaxseed meal. It is excellent for animals with allergy problems and/or skin and coat problems. When Seameal is added to food, it increases the digestibility of the food. It is made with 19 different species of sea vegetation, an excellent source of nutrients. The addition of seaweed and kelp to an animal's diet can produce many great benefits. SeaMeal can help boost the immune, hormone, and enzyme systems of the body, restore lost hair growth, intensify coat color, and boost the immune system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein, Min. 9%
Fat, Min. 10%
Fiber, Max. 13%
Moisture, Max. 12.2%

Ingredients:
Dried Seaweed Meal, Flaxseed Meal, Dehydrated Lemon Powder, Carotene, Chlorophyll, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Asparagus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Asperigillus Niger Fermentation Product, Pineapple, Lactose

Suggested Dosage:

Up to 10 lbs 1/8 tsp 2 times per day
10 to 25 lbs 1/4 tsp 2 times per day
25 to 50 lbs 1/2 tsp 2 times per day
50 to 75 lbs 3/4 tsp 2 times per day
75 to 100 lbs 1 tsp 2 times per day"

check out the reviews on www.onlynaturalpet.com
I have my springer pup on it because her breeder with 32 years experience believes in this product.

Luba
February 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hi ya! And try feeding sardines a couple times a week along with a humidifier or pans of water by your heat register. Especially dry when you have a forced air furnace. EEK summer come soon pls.

TKW
February 18th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Our dog has had dry skin a while back, we switched to Selsun Blue Shampoo on an advice and worked. But he'd smell like sulphur for a week or so after.
I gave him a bath 2 weeks ago and realized the Selsun Blue bottle was empty after he's soaked. In a panic, I grapped my Head & Shoulder and used on him. He has no problem with that and there's no lingering sulphur smell. I did get a lecture afterward from my daughter, who works part-time for a vet, for using h & s on the dog. In her opinion, it's too strong for pets.

BMDLuver
February 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hi ya! And try feeding sardines a couple times a week along with a humidifier or pans of water by your heat register. Especially dry when you have a forced air furnace. EEK summer come soon pls.
Was just about to suggest the sardines. Definitely much cheaper than the salmon caplets or coconut oil. Just remember to buy the ones packed in oil!

clm
February 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Sometimes dry skin can also be a sign of something more serious, ie a thyroid problem. If your dog has a weight problem but is not being overfed or is lethargic as well, I'd get a blood test done.
Otherwise the sardines and other suggestions by the members here should suffice.

Cindy