Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding when there's more than 1 dog

JanM
February 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
How do you handle feeding times when there's more than one dog? All has been well with Bobby and Amber until this morning when Amber, who always finishes eating first, pushed into Bobby's dish and finished his - he is a very slow eater.

They have always eaten very close together without a problem. I didn't catch it until it was too late so I don't know just how much Amber got.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Stay with them and correct her - separate them?

SARAH
February 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sheba would devour everything in her own as well as Dani's bowl, no doubt and no trouble! On top of that, Spoutnik has to stick his nose into the dogs' bowls when they eat.

Yes, I do play the role of "food-police". Have to go physically remove the pest of a kitten (10 times! :frustrated: :rolleyes: ) and then tell Sheba to back off when she's butted Dani away from her food, and then get Dani to go back to finish! After that, just a scowl at Sheba and she stays away - but sooo close, in case Dani doesn't want to finish it all!

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That temptation to steal is almost irresistible! They'll remember the correction if you're in the room, but if you aren't right there, they'll eventually forget. :dog:

So if you don't want to supervise, separating them is the easiest. We've found they really don't care where they eat or if they're separated by doors as long as they have food in the bowl. Once the food it gone, though, if they're behind a door, they may scratch to be let out...so put your slow eater behind the door--that way, once the fast eater is done, you can let the slow eater out right away when they've finished as well. :thumbs up

We feed ours in shifts and in different spots. This is more because we have a lot to feed, only two are separated because they barge in on the slower eaters.

Cass and Cole eat together in the family room while Ember, Macie, and (now) Grace eat in the kitchen. Lil Belle, who will horn in on the others' food bowls, is crated, as is Brier, who will eat anything. anywhere, anytime and so has to be confined till he can eat alone. :D

The tough part is getting those that eat with other dog(s) to all wait until the release command to go to their bowls. :rolleyes: But they're doing amazingly well, with only minor psychological damage to hazel's, madame hazel's, and my psyche! :crazy:

:p

SARAH
February 17th, 2008, 11:05 AM
But they're doing amazingly well, with only minor psychological damage to hazel's, madame hazel's, and my psyche! :crazy:

:p

AHA :D so this is the explanation why you are a little :crazy: :laughing: feeding time!

With just two dogs, I'm ok, I put the bowls down at the same time. But with your pack, you'd have to be an octopus to be able to do that!

Frenchy
February 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
All 3 of mine have their little areas , Bailey is the one who finishes last , if Nelly gets near I just say : NO Nelly , and she backs up.

rainbow
February 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I only have two to worry about but Chase always finishes a little before Logan even though I put a kong in his dish to slow him down. He doesn't try to move into Logan's dish as long as I'm standing nearby. On the other hand, I don't think Logan would let him either. :D

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM
AHA :D so this is the explanation why you are a little :crazy: :laughing: feeding time!

Yep...it explains a lot of it! :laughing: Actually, I have some video of the high-energy chaos that results here around feeding time at the zoo, but I can't get the bandwidth to upload it. :o

JanM
February 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone! This morning (hindsight is always so good, isn't it??), I had left the area. So, from now on, I stay in the feeding area! If I'm in the living room - which is open to the kitchen/dining room, Amber comes to me but this morning I was in the back of the house.. hmm - guess she saw her chance and took it!

I think part of it might be that Bobby's defences are down - he's hurting from a sore shoulder and Amber knows this - that, plus my absence - well, she just couldn't resist!

So, from now on the feeding policewoman, aka me, will be on duty!

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Officer Jan, how did Bobby hurt his shoulder? Give him some :grouphug:s and sweet kissies from ol' hazel and the Pack to make him better...

JanM
February 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
"how did Bobby hurt his shoulder? " This is hard to post - I haven't said much at all about Bobby, mostly because I'm still learning to deal with it myself...

Apparently, Bobby has a Thyroid problem, a weak or enlarged heart and digestion problems and his joints are weak. He has always had a bit of a twist in his left front leg but for the past week he's been having trouble with it - today I cut his morning walk short - took him back and left him in the car while I took Amber the rest of the way. His leg is really twisting when he walks and this morning he wasn't happy to be moving at all! I massage the shoulder and he really likes that and I've taken him to a therapist who does non-invasive work on muscles but there's been no improvement. Tomorrow I'm going to call a vet who does dog chiropractic work - he is up-Island from here. Hopefully something good will come of this!

hazelrunpack
February 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Aw :sad: More healing :grouphug:s and kissies for Bobby, then. And a big :grouphug: for Mom, too!

I hope the chiropracty helps! :fingerscr

Frenchy
February 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Bobby's problems JanM :sad: hope they can find a treatment that will do him some good. :fingerscr :grouphug:

JanM
February 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thank you, both - Hazel and Frenchy... I'm just dealing with it now on a day by day basis and doing my best to keep him as happy and fulfilled as possible.

jessi76
February 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I'm just dealing with it now on a day by day basis and doing my best to keep him as happy and fulfilled as possible.

and doing a fantastic job at that! remember, we're here to help, or to just listen if that's all you need. :grouphug: to bobby!

bendyfoot
February 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Jan:

1. I have to play "food police" at meal times...the usual scenario is:

Gracie wolfs down food while Jaida nibbles and wanders and forgets there's food, then nibbles some more after she's reminded about it. Gracie goes to see if there's food left in the cat's bowls and then comes back to guard Jaida's food (but won't steal it while I'm there 'cause she knows that's a big no-no) Boo kicks Solomon out of his bowl, who then goes to steal Jaida's forgotten food. Boo then goes to steal Rileys food, which results in hissy-swattyness. Boo, Solomon and Gracie are all food thieves, so they have to be supervised for each meal to avoid all this nonsense:rolleyes:

2. Sorry to hear about your boy's shoulder. Two thoughts came to mind if, in the long-term, physio etc. aren't doing enough to allow him to enjoy his walks. An orthotic brace, or a 4-wheel cart. A guy I know (Jeff at www.k-9orthotics.com) might be able to tell you if a brace could be made to support the shoulder. Otherwise, the cart would let him enjoy long walks by supporting his body weight and taking the strain off the shoulder. Like this guy, Soldier (he has a shoulder that dislocates often, this lets him enjoy his walkies). (Oh, and he's an amputee too, but it's only because of the bum shoulder that he uses the cart). Jeff makes 4-wheelers for dogs, too, but there are lots of options. Check out the links at Jaida's blog http://jaidasjourney.blogspot.com for other providers of orthotic/support devices.

JanM
February 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info, Bendyfoot - I'll see how things go for a short while before I get into the braces and stuff.

This morning Bobby was moving well and, wouldn't you know, I phoned for a chiro apptmt for Bobby and the vet is away for a month! So, again, it's day by day!

Your feeding time sounds very, very, busy! I lost track of who was getting whose food :D

Since I've been with them at feeding time breakfast and supper today - no problem so I'll just keep policing them..

Ford Girl
February 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Dazy always wolfs down the food...she's the first to eat when we have other dogs over, so I remove the other dog and feed them in the x-pen. Because Dazy is a resource guarder I have to constantly watch her, she will bully her way to the other bowl...

What I have been told to do with Dazy, becuase she's a :evil: is to be present when feeding another dog and make my presence known so she doesn't become the feeding police herslef - cuz you know she would. She tries and tries to get as close tot he other dogs food, I block her way and tell her no, but she continues to eye it from afar...

So that's how I deal with it...like anything else with my girl, I make sure I control the situation so she doesn't get a chance to.

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Bobby!!

JanM
February 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=Ford Girl;549427]Dazy always wolfs down the food...she's the first to eat when we have other dogs over, so I remove the other dog and feed them in the x-pen. Because Dazy is a resource guarder I have to constantly watch her, she will bully her way to the other bowl...

What I have been told to do with Dazy, becuase she's a :evil: is to be present when feeding another dog and make my presence known so she doesn't become the feeding police herslef - cuz you know she would. She tries and tries to get as close tot he other dogs food, I block her way and tell her no, but she continues to eye it from afar..."

I swear, Ford GIrl, Dazy and Amber would make a pair that would rock the world! That is exactly what Amber does - she wolfs hers down then, this morning I see her go behind the kitchen Island so I take a peek - here she is creeping, almost crawling but not quite - towards Bobby's bowl. The little :evil:

A quick word and she realizes I've seen her so she grabs her ball and comes rollicking over to me - gee, Mom, I wasn't doing anything :laughing:

Bobby was moving quite well yesterday and not too bad today - he isn't showing pain any more and isn't favouring his leg so I hope that part is over with!

hazelrunpack
February 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Great news about Bobby, Jan! :thumbs up

Ford Girl
February 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
I swear, Ford GIrl, Dazy and Amber would make a pair that would rock the world! That is exactly what Amber does - she wolfs hers down then, this morning I see her go behind the kitchen Island so I take a peek - here she is creeping, almost crawling but not quite - towards Bobby's bowl. The little :evil:

A quick word and she realizes I've seen her so she grabs her ball and comes rollicking over to me - gee, Mom, I wasn't doing anything :laughing:

Bobby was moving quite well yesterday and not too bad today - he isn't showing pain any more and isn't favouring his leg so I hope that part is over with!

They are cut from the same cloth those two, for sure...a snap of the finger...it's like ..."what? I was just looking mom"..:rolleyes:

Good for Bobby!!! :goodvibes: Each day of improvment is a step in the right direction!! :highfive: