Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training a Pyrenees Shepard cross

Amanda00
February 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone had any potty training tips for a Pyrenees Shepard cross. She's doing alright so far, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks to training, as I've read Pyrenees can be stubborn at times. She gets taken outside every hour or 2 hours, depending on how much she's drank or eaten. She's only had one accident and has tried to pee on the rug, but I scooped her up (as much as I could scoop a huge pup like that, lol) said NO, OUTSIDE in a firm tone, but not angry, and took her outside so she could finish. Also, I was wondering if she was maybe just so excited at being in a new home that she had her accident. We just got her yesterday from Second Chance Animal Rescue (www.scarscare.org)
TIA, Amanda

allymack
February 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
seems likes your doing everything right, just make sure to give lots of praise and pats when she does go outside. And also maybe a short play session after that so she will do her business quickly on a rainy stormy day and you wont have to wait out side for ever in the cold or rain. and good on ya for adopting!:thumbs up

jessi76
February 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM
[FONT="Century Gothic"]She gets taken outside every hour or 2 hours, depending on how much she's drank or eaten.

once an hour is reasonable, and it sounds like you handled the accident wonderfully! letting her finish outside is GREAT! be sure to praise her to high heaven when she does anything outside - make a BIG deal of it.

going out once in 2 hrs may be pushing it right now. i'd stick to at least every hour if possible. but once you have more time to get to know each other, and establish a routine, it'll be more predictable. however, right now, you should expect to take this pup out in the night. housebreaking quickly means being diligent about PREVENTING accidents. even during the night. I'm certainly not suggesting you get up every hour - lol - but keeping the dog in a crate, or an xpen near your bed will alert you to the pups needs. the pup will probably whine when she needs to go out (I don't expect a 10 wk old pup to hold it all night long). at this point, take her out, have her do her business, softly praise her, and it's back to bed - no playing, no cuddling, no cooing. stick to business or she'll quickly learn that 2am can be playtime. ;)

btw, I adopted my dog from a shelter called Second Chance as well. (not the same one though).

Amanda00
February 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
So if she does have an accident, I stop her and say NO,OUTSIDE in a firm tone, and take her out. But what do I do after? Just not reward her because she had an accident? This part confuses me. :confused:

Akira
February 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
With puppies you must really try to not let them out of your site. if you see her peeing in the house, grab her (while shes still peeing) and get her outside as fast as possible. Then you can stress the "OUTSIDE" part. With a puppy you should be taking her outside almost everytime after she eats, drinks, plays, and immediately after you get home.

We used to follow our puppy around outside untill she went, praising her. At 9 months old we still praise her everytime she goes to the bathroom outside. We struggled with the house training for quite awhile, but it really is going to take patience.

Just remember always have fresh water available, puppies need water and lots of excercise, thus needing to go outside alot. I would say once an hour, to twice an hour untill there blatter can withstand it.

jessi76
February 19th, 2008, 07:54 AM
So if she does have an accident, I stop her and say NO,OUTSIDE in a firm tone, and take her out. But what do I do after? Just not reward her because she had an accident? This part confuses me. :confused:

lol... yes, say NO, gently scoop up the pup, whisk her outside, let her finish her business and THEN reward her for finishing it outside. act like she just won the lottery for finishing outside. make a big huge deal of it.

with accidents, it's helpful if you can actually catch and stop the pup in the act. if the accident has already happened, it's too late to correct. Quietly clean up, and forgive & forget.

like Akira said, I too would wait for my dog to do his business outside before coming back in. and I agree, some pups need to go out 2x an hour. if you find you're cleaning up accidents alot, then the pup may need more opportunities to go out.

sounds like you're doing really great though! don't get discouraged! all pups have accidents!

Amanda00
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Alrighty, sounds like good advice! :D Well, she's only had maybe 6 accidents since she's been home, and so that averages to about 2 a day, and thankfully only 1 was not pee, lol! I think she's doing well though. She really only has accidents when she gets really excited or worked up, like when the cat and her play.

Longblades
February 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Good answers and here is something to add. While she is "performing" her duties outside praise her like there is no tomorrow, very enthusiastically. And pick a couple of words to identify the acts. We say "hurry up" and "finish". Don't worry what the neighbours think.