Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Integrating Adult Cats

theplainsjane
June 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Does anyone here have any experience integrating a new adult cat into a household? Oddly, I ended up with all three of my cats at the same time. They're related and have never been apart. I've been feeding a little cat outside here, who showed up, pregnant. I'm going to find homes for her babies, but I've grown quite attached to her and would like to bring her inside (since I'm going to have her spayed as soon as possible). I'm wondering how they'll get along.

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I have integrated many many cats of both sexes, intact and s/n, all ages, etc etc. and have never yet had any that couldn't learn to get along, even if they never became buddies.

Put the new cat in a spare room with all her stuff. Let you cats sniff under the door, and get used to the smell.

Then take something your cats lie and switch it with something the new cat lies on. Feed your cats and the other right next to the door on either side of it.

It could take awhile, but eventually you just open the door a crack and let them sniff noses. You will be likely to see some hissing, but that is normal. When you think the time is right, just leave the door of the room open and let your cats enter, or the new cat come out. Do this when you can be there, in case there is a tussle. If there is no outright fighting, try not to interfere. They have to work things out themselves. If the new cat seems very stressed or frightened, close the door and try again another day.

The most important thing is NEVER to try and rush things. Cats will do things when THEY feel it's safe, and they must do it at their own pace. If you rush or force them, it will then take longer.

I recommend you do all this AFTER the kittens are gone, as this cat will be likely to be very defensive while she is nursing and the babies are small. Until the kittens are weaned and gone to new homes, I wouldn't even let this cat see yours.

If you can tell that this cat is pregnant, she's probably very close to delivering.

Good luck!!:) Let us know how it goes.

theplainsjane
June 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM
She's already delivered. I need to get under my back deck and get the kittens out before they're totally wild. But there are spiders under there, yuck! But, beyond the spiders are kitten babies, which I love with all my heart.

Whoever lived here before me apparently had some kittens and just put them out. There's quite a feral population. I grew attached to one when I first moved in, but she apparently didn't survive the hurricane, which is sad, but just the way life is sometimes.

I've been calling the little mama cat Fontaine after the street up from me, but I want to call her Charlotte if she moves in. Or just Little Cat works too. :)

It's going to put me with four cats and a dog who needs a playmate, plus I want to foster dogs. It's a matter of whether I'm ready to be the Crazy Cat Lady just yet or not. ;)

But regardless, I'll do right by her. She's too used to me feeding her for me to just leave her. I couldn't do it anyway. She's so cute. I wish I had a picture. A petite black girl with a few stray white hairs on her chest. Her babies are likely black and white, like most of the other cats in the neighborhood.

chico2
June 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Jane,you sound like just an amazing person and I am glad you joined pets.ca,it's always nice to hear some good heartwarming stories..also you sound like a perfect fostermom,just be careful so you don't keep them all :D
Keep us posted on the new kitties and where are you? In the prairies(Sp/)

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Get the kittens in ASAP. If they do not see people when their eyes open, they will be feral. If momma is feral, you must get a humane trap for her.
This is very important, because she can get pregnant again in 3 or 4 weeks after giving birth.

Don't feel bad! I have 3 cats (all ex-feral) and a dog, and in the past 1 1/2 yrs, I have fostered 16 cats and kittens. You can do it.:)

theplainsjane
June 15th, 2004, 07:21 PM
I'm in Virginia. I lived in a little town called The Plains and my name is actually not Jane at all, I'm Brenda!

But, since my teenaged years, I've been the "odd" sister, *laughs* The "plain jane" if you will--with always as many animals as I can responsibly manage.

I'll post pictures of the babies when I find them. Perhaps some are Canadians at heart?

I'm glad to be here.

Princesss04
June 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Good luck with your new cat (and catching her ;) )! You sound like a wonderful person and this cat and her babies are very lucky to have found you. Welcome and keep us posted! :D

theplainsjane
June 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Cat update:

The kittens are most likely under the back deck. There's so much *crap* under there that I can't possibly get to them without tearing up some boards and since I rent and the stuff is not my crap, I'm not keen on tearing up the boards of carting a bunch of stuff off to the dump.

What about setting humane traps in a few weeks? I can get them from the SPCA on loan, I believe. The mama's no problem. She's a sweetie and I can catch her, no problem. Can pick her up even, I'd bet. Will have to start working on that. The mama has a home with me if she's willing, which she seems to be so far since I have the food.

Is there any hope, if I trap the kittens, that I can get them used to my touch? I can find barn homes, I'm sure, although I would rather find inside homes for them. Any advice?

Princesss04
June 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Oh, you can get the kittens use to your touch but the sooner you can get them the better. Due to the fact you need to make sure they are okay and get them use to you. Just when you catch them take your time they are not going to run up to you and be all loving all at one time. It is going to take some time. Just be patient! :D Good Luck! :D

Lucky Rescue
June 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Trap the kittens as soon as you can, and take momma to be spayed, as she is no doubt pregnant again.

I have tamed whole litters of feral kittens and it can certainly be done with LOTS of patience.

Let me know if you catch them and I'll give you some good articles on taming them!