Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Today in the Dog Park

edwpang
February 17th, 2008, 12:35 AM
After one long week we went to the local dog park again. Butter was quite excited and ran over to a pair of brown golden retrievers, and tried to play with them. The owners was totally freaked out, thinking Butter was trying to bite them, even though Butter was just did some mouthing on the back and then jump away... Once Butter even came back with a ball in his mouth. Owners seems more nervous than their dogs... how should I handle this situation?

Kinguni
February 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Find a different dog park? The one we go to most of the people seem to understand normal dog play. Surprisingly too, for an unofficial park, the people that use it keep it cleaner than most of the official parks. Perhaps seek out like minded dog owners there?

Rottielover
February 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Honestly, find another way of exercising... Dog parks are huge accidents waiting to happen, and let me tell you, if something did happen it will take the dogs lifetime to change and live with.
Dog parks = free for all, owners have no clue how to read dog body posture, and once it becomes a pack, training or no training, the dog will listen to the pack not you.

edwpang
February 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Find a different dog park? The one we go to most of the people seem to understand normal dog play. Surprisingly too, for an unofficial park, the people that use it keep it cleaner than most of the official parks. Perhaps seek out like minded dog owners there?

Actually, we usually go the dog park at different time... Usually people are quite experienced. Probably, next time when I have similar situation, I'll go to the separate area...

Kinguni
February 17th, 2008, 02:08 PM
That's about the best you can do. Move far away from the people that don't appreciate her company. Chances are other dog owners will do the same.

An hour at the dog park on the weekend gives Shabba far more exercise than anything else we can do with her and makes her a better behaved dog all week.

GSDog
February 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
the only problem with dog parks is the barking...so dog owners dont even bother teaching their dogs to bark when its time..they just let them bark and bark :wall: i know its dog parks and yes dogs should play and have fun but some dogs barks for no reason ...my GS now barks for nothing too cause of someone's dog...now im stuck teaching my dog to be quiet...man its hard cause GSD is like already in them to be protective. No matter what i tell him or how i use a comman to stop barking its harder now...

but aside from this problem i find dog parks are good for a dog to socialize..good for them to get use to one another...they stay more friendly...

now just to stop the barking :thumbs up

edwpang
February 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
That's about the best you can do. Move far away from the people that don't appreciate her company. Chances are other dog owners will do the same.

An hour at the dog park on the weekend gives Shabba far more exercise than anything else we can do with her and makes her a better behaved dog all week.
Yeah, dog park is a very good place for exerice, and socialization. We just need to be careful...

edwpang
February 19th, 2008, 01:13 PM
the only problem with dog parks is the barking...so dog owners dont even bother teaching their dogs to bark when its time..they just let them bark and bark :wall: i know its dog parks and yes dogs should play and have fun but some dogs barks for no reason ...my GS now barks for nothing too cause of someone's dog...now im stuck teaching my dog to be quiet...man its hard cause GSD is like already in them to be protective. No matter what i tell him or how i use a comman to stop barking its harder now...

but aside from this problem i find dog parks are good for a dog to socialize..good for them to get use to one another...they stay more friendly...

now just to stop the barking :thumbs up

Excessive barking is really annoying to us human, but probably for dogs is not that bad. They bark in dog park to show exciteness, or invite other dogs to play. Butter barks a lot in dog park, but rarely barks at home, except for once or twice he heard some strange noise... We'd be happy for him to alert us... I agree dog park is a very good place, dogs are usually very friendly, though sometimes they play a little rough, and they do bark a lot.

Kinguni
February 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Shabba barks more at home than at the dog park. As a matter of fact, there isn't a whole lot of barking going on there, except the odd small dog being held by it's owner, but that's another story. :rolleyes:

GSDog
February 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM
My dog doesnt bark in the park...just at home to warn us that there is someone at the door, runs to the door barking and growling to find out its one of the family member :confused: or when he goes in the backyard, he barks at the birds, winds, tempos that are making noise caused by the winds etc etc...like he cant find the difference when its important to bark or growl...so thats when we come in to show him but days i swear its hard...its his first winter hes only 4 months but this summer with some kids in other neighbouring homes he will start barking at them...even better the house next to me are senoirs in their 80's and they like to snooze in their swings in their backyard...boy there goes their snooze... :eek:

so its stick to my guns and show him not to bark for nothing...