Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male dog bleeding from his rectum?

jamielee1977
February 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have an 8 yr old Male Blue Healer. I just noticed that he is bleeding from his rectum. He doesn't seem to be having any pain, or any other symptoms of illness for that matter. The only reason I even noticed it is I saw a spot of blood on the floor. When I checked him out I didn't see any kind of cut or anything, but it definitly looks like the blood is leaking from his rectum. What would cause him to bleed like that?? He hasen't had any change in his food or anything? I don't believe he has diarrea, but honestly I didn't check when I let him outside earlier....Does anybody know what might be wrong????

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Bleeding from the rectum is a very serious sign of something wrong. Please get your dog to a vet as soon as you can and please keep us posted on what the vet says! I hope it's nothing too serious. :fingerscr

jamielee1977
February 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Bleeding from the rectum is a very serious sign of something wrong. Please get your dog to a vet as soon as you can and please keep us posted on what the vet says! I hope it's nothing too serious. :fingerscr

Thank you for the comment. I just don't know what the heck to think....When I just checked him a few minutes ago, (to show a friend...) he was bleeding alot worse...I mean like he soaked through several paper towels in a few minutes.....The bleeding has slowed down ( Thank God ) It's just really weird that he isn't in any pain....He seems to be feeling great....Still running, eating, drinking, just his happy go lucky usual self.... Anyway thank you for your advice...Sincerly, Jamie

the gang
February 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM
i would go right away it could be a hemroid, but if was me and i saw that much blood i would go a s a p good luck brenda and the pins.

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I was told by our vets that dogs don't get hemorrhoids when we had a dog with a similar, albeit less severe problem. What worries me, jamielee, is that it could be a draining abcess, or worse, a bleeding tumor, and both of those can be quite life-threatening. Is there an emergency vet contact number you can at least get advice from?

jamielee1977
February 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I was told by our vets that dogs don't get hemorrhoids when we had a dog with a similar, albeit less severe problem. What worries me, jamielee, is that it could be a draining abcess, or worse, a bleeding tumor, and both of those can be quite life-threatening. Is there an emergency vet contact number you can at least get advice from?

thank you...both of ya'll....the bleeding seems to have slowed way down...But like I keep saying, the wole thing is just very puzzeling. Don't ya'll think that with a bleeding tumor, hemroid, or abcess the dog would be having some sort of pain??

Frenchy
February 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Don't ya'll think that with a bleeding tumor, hemroid, or abcess the dog would be having some sort of pain??

Any dog that bleeds from ANYWHERE means you have to take him asap to a vet , please take the dog to a vet , this really sounds like an emergency , nothing we can do to help here. :shrug:

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Dogs do not feel pain like humans do. Please take him to a vet now. Good luck and post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Purpledomino
February 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM
thank you...both of ya'll....the bleeding seems to have slowed way down...But like I keep saying, the wole thing is just very puzzeling. Don't ya'll think that with a bleeding tumor, hemroid, or abcess the dog would be having some sort of pain??

Actually alot of the time they will not tell us, or better yet...we cannot determine if they are in pain. Dogs are very stoic, and sometimes won't show pain until the situation becomes dire, and usually it's not in the best interest of the dog to wait. Dogs and most animals will do this because it is a weakness to show illness or pain, as a result they could become prey or be victimized within their groups, not allowed to breed etc.

I agree with the others. You need to take him in for an exam, or at the very least, call the vet to ask their opinion. Good luck, I hope it all ends up well. :fingerscr

the gang
February 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
to me it sounds like you-- dont want to contact vet!!!!! are you not worried???? blood is blood im hopping your pup is ok good luck to boath of you

Ford
February 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod,

Ford