Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive Shedding and Dander - Instinct Raw Kibble

ang.c
February 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'm aware of the packaging change and rebranding of Instinct from Raw Instinct a while back, but did the recipe also change?

My cat absolutely loved the Raw Instinct dry kibble formula but as of late has begun to shed excessively and form dander (mostly around her back and tail area) since consuming Instinct. She would also have Wellness wet food 2-3 times a week.

I got her checked out and there are no skin issues/viruses/diseases, no intestinal issues, etc. - nothing of the sort. All signs point to her diet, at least that's what I'm thinking. I already knew the vet was going to pimp MediCal to me, but what are my options if it is diet-related?

Any thoughts? Was the recipe even altered?

sugarcatmom
February 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I found this on the Nature's Variety website (http://www.naturesvariety.com/news.lasso), not sure if that's what's affecting your cat:

RECENT NEWS
01-15-2008
Kibble Diet News

Kibble Manufacturing Facility Addition

Due to our continued strong growth in sales, we have recently added an additional kibble manufacturing facility. While the formulations and nutrient content have not changed, there are inevitable variations among plants in techniques and equipment – just like there are differences in cooking at home with gas versus electric.

As a result, there may be some changes in the color of the kibble and a different aroma. Also, some pets that eat primarily one protein source may experience some loose stools similar to that experienced when changing foods. We recommend that customers feed less initially. Any digestive differences should be temporary.

Again, the formulations and nutrient content have not changed. We are committed to producing a high quality product and to keep you informed as changes occur. Thank you for choosing Nature’s Variety.

Other than that, did your cat have any blood work done? Have you thought about feeding more wet food and less kibble (even though Nature's Variety is one of the better dry foods, it's still dry food, which is far from an ideal feline diet).

ang.c
February 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wow - thanks so much. This seems like the culprit. The food did smell and look a little different than the previous bags I bought.