Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seatbelt For My Dog

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Well i really need something to secure my dog in the backseat,went to petsmart did not find a good seatbelt there,he could still move around alot,what about those gate like things i see in peoples car??Does anyone know how much they might be and where to get??

theplainsjane
June 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Heidi,

Try Cabela's or any other online catalog. Cabela's has hunting supplies. The gate they carry is adjustable to most SUV's and I believe costs less than $50 US.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks......... :) :)

Goldenmom
June 15th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Heidi, very good idea!!! They will still be able to move a bit, remember that. You need to get it fitted correctly.

Heather

Goldenmom
June 15th, 2004, 12:10 PM
What type of vehicle do you drive?

Did Damien have fun on the weekend? Did you take him to Rescue?

Heather

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Damien has been living it up,yeah sat we went out there pretty scary moment,some people came with a baby and a girl about 5 years old,the rescue lady has a huge gsd there named kodiak,well it happend so fast,but he flipped out and jumped on tina[rescue lady]hair raised and all looked like he tried to bite her arm,how she got control of him is beyond me,she grabbed collar to pull him off her,and puched him in the chest,it was crazy sight ,i didnt know what to do,then she threw her bat at him,not hard folks just enough to scare him off,i would of to,i never seen anything like that live.Last night i took him to an ex boyfriends he has like a lab a year old and a pool,damien was afraid to go in at first but finally did he had a blast,wish i would of had camera,will next time,it was so adorable..............

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I drive an 04 nissan sentra..4 door

Goldenmom
June 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Glad to hear he likes water! Good exercise for dogs.

Thats terrible what happened to the Rescue lady. Is the dog still with her? Worse scenerio could have been that the dog jumped on the child!

Heather

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah the dog is still there,i think what ahppend was he was near the lady holding the baby,not doing anything wrong and tina tired to et him to move and he didnt want to,she thinks maybe the people that got rid off him had kids,a retired k9 coop was supposed to come look at him not sure if has or not yet...Yeah damien had so much fun,wish i lived near a beach to take him to,he loved it,he has more of a life than me... :o :o :o

Catt31
June 15th, 2004, 05:29 PM
The wire grids for cars run about $100-$150 Canadian, at least at my pet store. They are easy to install and will work in your car if you get the brand that says "fits all makes and models". I've been eyeing the one at our store for a while now, not sure if I will get it or not since my car is a hatchback it might not work!

I got Brick a seatbelt/harness thingy for $30 and it totally frayed at the ends, so I took it back. I still think they are a good idea - or some form of restraint for safety, but haven't found a good one either! It gave him enough room to turn around and stand up but not get into the front seat. Talk to different pet stores, see if they will give you a trial period to see if it will work with Damien! Good luck.

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks,actually i went to petco.com,they have the coolest thing,it also is a backseat cover and it goes upward and you attach to your headrest in car so they wont fly up there,go check it out,i think it was about 89.00

Lucky Rescue
June 15th, 2004, 06:39 PM
I have a harness seatbelt for my dog. Very well-made and comfortable for her.:)

heidiho
June 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I will look at that also,thanks............

Missy
June 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I also use the harness seat belt for Molly and it works great but the only problem is that she has been known to chew the seat belt. Silly puppy :p

For long trips, I just put her crate in the back seat and that way I can keep her out of trouble!!

Catt31
June 16th, 2004, 08:21 AM
The harness seatbelt we had was awesome.....it was soft and it fit nicely. Brick hated it of course and would try to chew it, but it frayed at the ends and all the way up the strap. That is why we took it back. We are going to go look at others this weekend. Ours came with an extra clip and strap that clipped into the seatbelt plug, then that strap attached to the harness. That way we didn't have to use the car seatbelt. Brick did chew that strap so I'm glad it was that and not my car's seatbelt!! :rolleyes:

I checked out that thing on petco.com....it is a neat idea if you have smaller dogs. I don't think that it would keep Damien in the back seat or protect him if you were ever in an accident. I know Brick wouldn't let a piece of cloth like that stop him from getting up beside me! If Damien is anything like Brick....he won't either! You need a harness or something that will KEEP him back, no matter what happens.

Get one that is sewn together well, not one of the cheapy ones that have thin straps. You can sort of see the harness on these two pics of Brick - it went around his neck and clipped, a strap down his chest, then 2 straps between his 2 front legs, then clipped again on his back. It fit really nicely - too bad it frayed so bad (I guess its not meant for running and swimming...LOL) :D

theplainsjane
June 16th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Do the pet seat belts allow the dogs to lie down?

I'm lucky with Ellie. I couldn't get her to ride in the front seat if I tried. One time, I needed to, but she climbed into the back and laid on top of the stuff I had packed that I was moving.

She gets in the backseat and lies down, although she will *not* get in the car on her own. Any ideas there?

Luba
June 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM
When Miss Sadie finishes growing I'm getting her one for the car as well :D

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 10:12 AM
See i did try one and he couldnt lay down,it would pull on him..

Goldenmom
June 16th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Heidi, he needs to be able to lie down, I wonder if it was the correct size?

Heather

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Hard to explain,like the part in the back where you would put seatbelt through isnt long,so once i clamped seatbelt if he was to try and lay down he couldnt.I wish i could explain better...

Goldenmom
June 16th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Thats ok ;)

That one is not for him, obviously. Keep looking!

Heather

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah i will,petco has a really cool one 90.00 though it is a seatcover,and it goes up to your headrests and clampy on there,so they cant fly up front,go to petco.com and look at it,if i had 90.00 i would get it...

Karin
June 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
I have the seats laid down in the back of my S-10 Blazer Tahoe. The back is lined with foam "egg shell" crate padding and a flannel sheet. Maximum dog comfort. My front seats are highback with the neck rest so Ciara has her own little room back there.
In 1999, when Ciara almost 8 months old, Hurricane Floyd was threatening land fall on our east coast. On the present course it could have come straight for us in the center of the state. My boss wanted us to stay at their house so I loaded what I could in the back of the truck with puppy Ciara loaded in the front seat next to me. I was stopping at a grocery store along the way for food supplies and while pulling into the parking spot another car sped in front of me & I hit the breaks...I was barely moving as it was..I jumped out to get a tag #, (and yell..), Ciara was lying on my hood..she went through my windshield head first. The jerk that cut us off flipped me a bird.
I was beside myself...I was at work 20 minutes later..Ciara's head was swollen like a Beluga whale and she could not see. No facial fractures were detected so we doped her up, gave her dex and closed off an exam room with much padding and very dark. She came through it alright..took a few days..I learned a very important lesson that day.
Anything can happen at anytime to anyone.
Just wanted to share (again).
I think it's great for you guy's to find a way to protect your loved ones.

Stepping off the soap box now.

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Wow,that is crazy,yeah on monday on the freeway everyone was going right along 70 miles an hour well my lane and the lane next to me,came to a dead stop,had to reach around back to keep him from flying up front,the guy in the blazer next to me in the other lane,just couldnt stop in time,i saw it coming and new here it goes he nailed the cars in front of him,thank god i was not in that lane,so getting something this weekend,tried one but he couldnt lay down,it would pull on him............

Lucky Rescue
June 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Karin, that is terrifying!!! So glad Ciera survived!

Do the pet seat belts allow the dogs to lie down?

Yes, they do. There is an adjustable leash attached to the harness of mine, and my dog can easily sit or lie down with it.

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM
When i put his though seat belt,he coudlnt lay down,he could just sit there,the strap that the seatbelt looped through was maybe 5 inches long....

Catt31
June 16th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Yes, the dog has to be able to move around, and lay down. The strap on Brick's is about 12 inches long (or so) and enables him to move, turn, sit, lay, and stick his nose out the window a bit!

Heidi - I don't think that one at petco would work for Damien. I think he is too big. Read my post above again - I explained it all. I think it will be a waste of $90!!

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 02:25 PM
That would be perfect one that is about 12 inches long would work,i will keep looking,maybe get one on e-bay,i just dont like to buy something without seeing it in person...

Catt31
June 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM
We got ours at our pet store! Have you checked around??

I personally wouldn't get something like that on ebay, unless there was a guarantee - just in case it doesn't fit, or it doesn't give him enough room to move around. Look around at different stores, take them out of the package and check to see how sturdy they are...Damien is going to be a big strong boy!! :D

heidiho
June 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I have looked at petsmart,they were short though,yeah he is 60 pounds right now[will be 6 months sat]i will just keep lookin..

melanie
June 16th, 2004, 05:13 PM
my problem with the harness for seatbelts is this- she seems to get tangled in the actual seatbelt the harness is attached to, she will wrap it around her legs ect. so i have to pull over regularly to untangle and i worry if accident occured and she was tangled.... well you can imagine. in australia it is illegle not to have the dog secured in the car or on the back of utes, i find that i can tie her to the seatbelt with her lead and she stays put but doesnt get tangled, we have sml hatchback so cant use the mesh guard i have (bummer, good one too). still haven to figured it out, may one day... :D
poor ciara, what a big scare that would have been for you, god some people are just pigs arent they? so lucky sh didnt get hurt. and reminds us all that dogs should never travel in the front and neither should small children, (my nephew thinks i totally stink for it, i told him to grow a little and we will talk) :D