Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bozley Behavior help

saxlady
February 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Good day! I've visited this site before but really need some advice. Bozley, our sweet 5-yr-old Boston Terrier has decided there is a spot on the living room floor that requires him to pee.......

Some background: We bought this house 3 years ago. The former owners had a dog - - and the carpet was torn ("dug") in the very spot where Bozley is now peeing. Please note that we pulled up all of the carpet/padding, etc., and replaced with laminate flooring, but he is still peeing (you can imagine what it's done to the flooring!) .... can urine penetrate the concrete slab and he still smells it? Or has he developed a new "bad-dog" behavior? He's always remorseful after the fact. Any suggestions are welcomed - - I've tried the "No-Go!" route that works for a week or so, but not very long.

Also there was a neighborhood stray cat (I think the former owners left him when they moved, because he was certain this was his house) - who upset Bozley from time to time, but we found a new home for that cat and he has not been around for several weeks. So..... we've tried process of elimination as well.

Bozley is the only one who has an issue with this spot. We have another Boston, Hunny Bear, and a cat, Quincy - but they all grew up together, so there is no new pack member issue.

He has had his checkup and is in perfect health.

Thanks!

jessi76
February 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
does this happen when you're home? have you considered making this spot inaccessible? moving a large piece of furniture over it?

I think the key would be to literally catch the dog in the act and correct the dog then. Personally, if it were my dog, I would wait for him to do it, then put the fear of god into him. (sternly, not physically of course!) the tone of your voice alone can do wonders.

if that didn't work, I'd do a "stake out". literally stake it out, and ambush the dog (in the act). I'd probably opt for a good water gun since my dog is anti-wetness.

granted, my yelling and super-soaking may not be the ideal choices.