Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet visit and other stuff

ancientgirl
February 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I took Oksana for her Wellness exam and blood work. LOL, um...she gave them quite a fight. :) My Little Miss is steady at 8 pounds too, so that was good to know. I wonder sometimes if she eats enough, so she's just keeping that little petite figure of hers. She's such a Diva.

I also took Kiska so they could have a look at her little mammary glands and make sure they've gone down, they were a bit swollen after her spay. She's good though. And she's up to 6 pounds, so my Tiny Miss is gaining weight at a good pace.

Then I asked the vet to go over Vlad's wellness exam and blood work results. He's normal on everything. I was happy about that. I've got to take him in next week to have him weighed. I'd like to see if he's lost any weight. He was 17 pounds when they last weighed him. He doesn't look fat, you can certainly see his waist so that's good. He is a big cat though, so that's probably what it is. Still, I'd like to make sure he doesn't gain any more weight. He'd gone from 10 pounds in November of '07 to 17 pounds in January! That's a lot of weight to gain in 2 months.

Maks is growing too. LOL, I don't need to take Maks or Kiska for their Wellness exams for several months. I'll probably take them in August, that's when they are a year old, and they are healthy kitties otherwise.

I'm also making an appointment for Czarina for her Wellness exam. I just need to coordinate it with Miguel and Rene so they can get her in the carrier for me. She's doing great btw. Her leg has healed and she's running around like nothing happened. Miguel said she loves the Innova food I gave him for her. so I need to ask him how much she's got left so that I can get her more. I have to go to a small pet shop for that one. None of the Petco's or Petsmart's carry it around here.

So the gang is all healthy and I'm very happy about that!

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
WooooHooooo! Glad to hear it! :highfive:

What does that feel like, having everyone healthy!? :eek: It's been awhile at Hazel Run since we've had that particular 'problem' :rolleyes: :laughing:

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Glad to hear all your kitties are doing so well. :thumbs up

Although Vlad's 7 lb. weight gain is quite a bit in 2 months. :eek: Maybe they didn't get a proper reading in November. :shrug:

loopoo
February 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
glad all your kitties are well, including Czarina :)

krdahmer
February 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
:thumbs up

ancientgirl
February 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys!!!

Hazel, it feels great to know they are all healthy. I want to keep them that way too, and will do what ever I can to make sure they all remain healthy.

I'm wondering if they got a correct reading in November too. I was thinking about it and they had to weigh him in his carrier. So I'm thinking that subtracting the weight of the carrier from what his weight was the last time he was in, might have been where they messed up.

But what might have contributed, was, I did bring home Maks and Kiska in November. So there was double the kibble left out that was left out before. So I'm thinking he might have taken advantage of that.

I've since taken away two of the bowls, so it was as it was before Maks and Kiska came home.

Even if he's not gained I'll be happy. I certainly don't want him to gain more weight. He looks good now, but any more weight will certainly make him look like a chubster.

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I'm wondering if they got a correct reading in November too. I was thinking about it and they had to weigh him in his carrier. So I'm thinking that subtracting the weight of the carrier from what his weight was the last time he was in, might have been where they messed up.

This happened to us one time. The girl screwed up with subtracting the weight of the carrrier. It must have happened frequently because now they have a baby scale right in the exam room for cats. :thumbs up

Dracko
February 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
ancientgirl last time I'd hear Czarina was still at the vets. I must have missed your further updates. Is she back living at the apartment, mingling with Miguel when he is at work or did they try to take her back to their house?

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM
This happened to us one time. The girl screwed up with subtracting the weight of the carrrier. It must have happened frequently because now they have a baby scale right in the exam room for cats. :thumbs up

Yep, I'm thinking more and more that's what happened. He was in a pretty nasty mood that day and they didn't want to worsen his mood, so they kept him in the carrier. I know he'd weighed about 10 pounds a few months before that, so if he'd gained a few pounds in November and weighed maybe 12 or 13, then his 17 pound weight in January would not be such a huge stretch.

I've been looking for a baby scale to have here at home. The new ones are kind of pricy for me right now, so maybe I'll look on ebay. At least I can monitor their weight here at home.

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
ancientgirl last time I'd hear Czarina was still at the vets. I must have missed your further updates. Is she back living at the apartment, mingling with Miguel when he is at work or did they try to take her back to their house?

Dracko, she's back to mingling. She follows Miguel during the day then now and then she goes off and plays with her little gang of kitties. She waits for me in the mornings and I sit and pet her before I have to go to work. I'm going to get this rubber thing I have to brush her. I brushed her last week, but she still had some loose hairs, and this stuff gets the undercoat better.

But she's doing fine, thank you for asking!

krdahmer
February 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BEBESOUNDS-DIGITAL-BABY-SCALE-UP-TO-44-LB-GROWTH-MONIT_W0QQitemZ300198160506QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1170 16QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's one... not too bad for price I don't think. I never thought of getting one for home so I could keep track... might come in handy because I have to really watch Smoke's weight as she is really close to underweight.

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BEBESOUNDS-DIGITAL-BABY-SCALE-UP-TO-44-LB-GROWTH-MONIT_W0QQitemZ300198160506QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1170 16QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's one... not too bad for price I don't think. I never thought of getting one for home so I could keep track... might come in handy because I have to really watch Smoke's weight as she is really close to underweight.

That's a great price, but the shipping cost to the US is $40! Zoinks Scooby.

I'm going to look on ebay now. I think it's a good idea to have one. At least weight them all once a month to make sure nothing is changing too drasitcally in their weight.

14+kitties
February 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Great to know everyone is healthy ancient. I am glad Czarina is back where she is comfortable. Maybe not the best solution for some but obviously it's where she wants to be.

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, I'm very happy they're all in good health.

Czarina I believe is where she wants to be. I'm happy that at least she is here and we are doing our best to take care of her. At least she's not somewhere where she's being ignored.

otter
February 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up for happy healthy kitties!

You take such good care of those kids:lovestruck::cloud9::angel:

Hmmmm, would it work to weigh kitties to use a "fish scale" - one of those hook things (NO DO NOT HOOK THE CAT :eek:) but to put the kitty in a bag (like a cloth shopping bag or purse) and weight them like that. I'm pretty sure fish scales are really cheap, probably not totally accurate but would at least give you an idea if things are going up or down.

ancientgirl
February 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I try to stay on top of their healthy. I might take them to the vet more often than I should, but it's because whenever I see something odd, I want to know there's nothing wrong.

I like that idea, but I'm wondering if they'll even be still enough if I stick them in a sack or something LOL.

I found what looks to be a good baby scale on line. When I get it I should be able to see how accurate it is.