Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oshawa / Whitby area dog training ??

Kashi
February 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Can anyone suggest a good, reputable, dog training facility in Oshawa / Whitby ?

The only ones I'm familiar with are at PetSmart and Petcetera - are they good schools ?

Byrd
February 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Don't take courses at pet stores! :yuck:

Are you willing to travel out to Bowmanville? I help out with the flyball training at SuperDog Central and that's where Willow has trained her whole life. Their Obedience instructor is also a behaviourist. What courses are you looking for?

Kashi
February 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm looking for pretty basic stuff - like puppy training (come, sit, stay, on-leash heel, drop it).

Bowmanville isn't too far.

Flyball and agility look SO fun - but I doubt we have the money / time for it, and Pugsley is no where near ready for that kind of thing. I adore watching the demos though, it looks like the dogs and owners are having so much fun.

Byrd
February 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
It's on Holt Road, between Hwy 2 and Nash. The website is www.superdogcentral.com and that's my Willow looking all happy on the training page! :cloud9:

Have you seen our demos? If so, then you've seen us, we participate in all of them. It's so much fun, and most of our students are invited to join in.

Kashi
February 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
The demos are my favorite part of the Oshawa Canada Day at Lakeview Park.

And Willow is a doll ! She looks happy.

Now - what's the difference, aside from price - between SuperDog training and PetSmart training ? No, I'm not being facetious - I honestly don't have a clue about what is 'good' training and what isn't. But I know we NEED some, good preferably.

Byrd
February 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
The difference is that trainers at a facility are trained for any type of dog and any type of situation, where the trainers at a store basically run the same things over and over. Facility trainers are trained by other trainers or even take courses on it, while pet stores could be self taught or just learn from other stores. The degree of training is just better with a training facility.

Willow says thanks. :dog: