Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mixed emotions! Lost a pet and received a new pet.

Bayli
February 16th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hello everyone! Just want to introduce myself and my new l0 week old golden retriever Bayli. I am still grieving the loss of my other golden retriever Jessie who was put down very recently. Today is her birthday and she would have been l0. I can't believe she's gone. My son was so sad to see me so devasted that last night he decided to surprise me and showed up with this little puppy! She is soooo cute! A little polar bear. I was informed that she has not had any shots yet. I will be taking her to the vet's - hopefully today, but was wondering if it is okay to take her out to toilet train her and also she seems to be mouthing more than licking. Is this normal or should I discourage this behavior. I've forgotten what it is like to have a puppy!
Comments appreciated. Thanks

want4rain
February 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
awwww.... what a sweet son. :) its tough gaining a responsibility like this so soon after loosing your dog but perhaps your son is using a bit of the wisdom you gave him in getting you a new puppy?

theres tons of info on here about raising a puppy. lots of folks to answer your questions and even MORE of us who will be begging for a picture... :yell: SO HOP ON IT!! PICTURES!! call it hazing. :laughing:

:o of both of them please???? please???????

Jessie is waiting at the bridge for you Bayli's mom. perhaps you shoudl put up a memorial for her??

BTW.... lots and lots of golden fans here who will also be demanding pictures.... :D

i would think its fine to take her out to potty train. some tools we used with our dog that REALLY helped in the first few months was handfeeding his kibble and using that to train him. we used cheese to potty train him, we would keep saying "ok, lets go potty!!!" and when he did we did the happy dance and tossed a piece of cheese in his mouth, tell him as he was doing it that he did a GOOD POOPY!!!

we also bell trained him, we would jingle a bell with his nose (he was so small then lol!!). eventually he was jingling (or running around with it if it wasnt secured) the ell to go potty. was the easiest potty training ever!!

oh.... did i mention pictures??? :laughing:

-ashley

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Jessie, Bayli! :grouphug: 10 years of loving. 10 years of memories. You know that Jessie will wait for you--you can't destroy a bond that strong. :candle:

It's a good idea to start Bayli on the 'outside potty training' right away--but keep her away from areas frequented by other dogs until she's had all her shots. Unless Jessie died as the result of something communicable, your yard would be the best place for Bayli till your vet gives you the okay. Once her vaccinations are up-to-date, get her in with as many other pups and dogs as you can for good socialization.

As for mouthing...well, all puppies mouth, but it's a good idea to discourage it. Be consistent and patient and eventually they get over it.

Be prepared for the teething weeks though--usually between 4 and 6 months of age. The best thing I've found for retaining my patience and the skin on my hands during the Terrible Teething is bicycle gloves. :thumbs up These are the gloves that have leather or cloth on the back and palm of the hands, but no fingers. I will never raise another pup without at least two pairs of bicycle gloves in the house... They're marvelous! :D Almost totally eliminated 'hamburger hands'. :laughing:

There is a 'Pets that have passed on' forum on the board. If you wish, you can post a tribute to your Jessie there. Most of the members here have been through the loss of a furbaby and are very supportive. :grouphug:

Welcome to the board, Bayli.

Frenchy
February 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Bayli , I'm so sorry about the loss of your golden , I know your pain. :grouphug:

So a golden puppy ? :cloud9: