Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy very sick from worms

corgpinmom
February 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Let me start by saying that the puppy is doing great now --- My 1 1/2 week old puppy would not eat and had a very hard tummy - she was very listless - them about 5 am she had dirrahea and started nursing - I took her to the vet for a check up - vet did x rays and sugar levels did not do a fecal - Vet said she had a little gas but couldnt find anything wrong - she seemed to be getting better then a week later she was again very sick - this time worse - she did not poo and was going down hill fast - I was able to get her to poo a little and it had worms in it - took the sample to the vet and got wormer for her but she was pretty weak - took her to the vet that afternoon thinking I was going to lose her - She was bleeding internally from worms that had caused an infection - the vets gave her massive doses of antibiotics and fluids - sent her home 3 hrs later with an IV and fluids every 1/2 hr -telling me that she was far from out of the woods - around 5 in the morning she started nursing - this was after lots of pooing and peeing from the fluids - another course of anitbiotics and fluids all the next day and night along with nursing on mom and she is doing great. The other puppy in the litter has also been de wormed and so has mom - I am amazed at how fast she has bounced back - and I am greatful - but am extremely upset that a fecal was not done on her to begin with. I was told that it is unusual for puppies that young to have worms - but apparently it happens because she had them and in fact was so infested that she was starting to bleed internally.

BMDLuver
February 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Generally, when you have a pregnant bitch, you worm them twice with a mild wormer during pregnancy to avoid the puppies being full of worms. It's very common for pups to have worms. You were very lucky the little one made it. Normally the pup would have died from internal bleeding. :thumbs up

corgpinmom
February 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Actually the mom was wormed twice - I have been breeding corgi's for 12 years and have never had worms this early in puppys - I actually co - own the bitch with a JR handler and part of the contract for the Jr to show and own her was that I got a litter of puppies after he hips were checked and passed.

I show and occasionally breed in order to get a show prospect - and yes we are luck Miss Hope is still here

glitterless
February 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I think it's a great idea to do a fecal test before deworming any animal. That way you can pinpoint exactly which worms you need to target, so the correct chemical class of dewormer can be used.

I'm glad that your pup is okay :)