Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Which Environmental Group?

Writing4Fun
February 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hey all! With the conversation going on in the news section about the jaguar and dog that were shot in Ontario recently, I started looking for more of these "road side zoos" in the area. There are a whole whack of zoos and sanctuaries all over the province. Some of them have been written up and reported on by groups like WSPA and PETA, and some of them have fought back by threatening to have people from either of these groups brought up on trespassing charges if they ever show up on their doorsteps again.

This got me wondering. I know that some of these environmental protection groups are getting kind of ... um ... "enthusiastic" in their endeavours. Some have progressed to the point that they are no better (and sometimes worse) than the people or organizations they are going after. It's gotten to the point that I've become suspicious of any environmental group, which is sad because I think they all start out with good intentions, and then evolve based on the most extreme members' views.

So, my question to you all today is: Which environmental group(s) do you think are worth joining/supporting/listening to when they report on companies or organizations? There are so many out there, that I wouldn't even know where to begin to create a poll. Who are the major players? WSPA? PETA? The Sierra Club? The Suzuki Foundation? Greenpeace?

On another, somewhat related topic ... I just came across this new thing that MSN is doing with their IM system. It's only available in the US for now (so all you US members, go to MSN's website and look up the I'M program). You choose one of their causes and put the name next to your name, and every time you have an MSN chat, they'll display ads in your conversation, and part of the ad revenue will go to the cause you chose. Pretty cool, huh? FYI, The Sierra Club is their environmental group of choice. The American Humane Society is also on there.

want4rain
February 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
oh poo, i really REALLY looked at your post a second time. LOL!! since i wrote that other stuff.... ill leave it down there in quotes anyway BUT for your question, i would think there would have to be a few requirements.

1) doesnt send out junk mail. that stuff is expensive.

2) doesnt give you anything like envelope stickers or book marks. duh! the Arbor Day Fund is the only one that should send you anything.... trees. thats what they shoudl send you.

3) stands up with all of the different watch dog sites that keep an eye out for stuff like that. here is one of them-
http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html#animal

im sure others will ahve great advice. :)

my only advice is to skip the groups and DO what you can. your local power company should have green options, buy appliances that are Energy Star certified, stick a cozy on your water heater, donate to the folks who are actually developing green energy sources like those folks who are making the solar paint and replace all your bulbs with CF's. talk to your friends about doing those things also. you can spread more of a message with your own reputation and goodness than any organization can form together... pay folks to pay other folks to tell people what you can do with your own mouth. recycle everything. everything is recyclable in SOME way. what was it they were saying in the 80's?? reduce/reuse/recycle- very very wise!

-ashley

Stacer
February 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with what want4rain said about charities sending stuff out in the mail. The money should be spent on doing what they say they're doing, not mail outs.

In the past I've donated to greenpeace (has been known to be extreme, but they're well known and for the most part respected), WSPA (they sent alot of mail outs, with bookmarks and address stickers etc..., but I think they're still doing good work) and WWF (I like them).

PETA is becoming increasingly weird IMO. I've never donated to them and I probably never will.

I would donate to the Sierra Club and the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

Writing4Fun
February 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
When I was little, my sister and I had created a little neighbourhood environmentalist club. We charged a membership fee (I think it was a nickle at the time), and gave out little membership cards. We had a library of books about animals that members could borrow. We tried to do things around town to help out - building bird houses and such. Unfortunately, little girls & boys in my neighbourhood weren't that interested in the environment at the time, so the club didn't go very far. Now, a Shaun Cassidy fan club would have gone over like gangbusters, I'm sure!! :laughing:

Yeah, I guess any environmental group that kills so many trees to send out their junk mail can't really be trusted, right? :frustrated: