Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shabbado's Diarrhoea

Kinguni
February 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I took this thread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49198) way off topic, so a continuation here.

Shabba's last visit to the vet included us being given 2 Interceptor Flavour Tabs to be given to her that day (Feb. 6) and another to be given on Feb. 20. The day after the first tab she pooped out a big roundworm, and by this past Monday (Feb. 11) here poops were consistently solid, which we don't ever remember them being. However, that night her stools turned soft again, and yesterday (Feb. 13) more liquid, with more urgent needs from her to go.

Got a stool sample in to the vet today. The fecal float came positive for ascarids (expected). The fecal cytology found 3+ clostridium and 3+ rods. We found the Diarrhoea cause and now she gets a week of amoxicillin, along with a bland diet of rice and boiled lean ground beef.

I'm certainly glad we got the sample in to the vet. Fingers crossed this all clears up for good.

Kinguni
February 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
She went once yesterday and it was small solid and slimy, so that's an improvement I guess.

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
It sounds like an improvement to me......glad you took the poop sample in. :thumbs up She should be fine once she's rid of all the worms and back to eating her Orijen. :goodvibes:

loopoo
February 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
sounds like she is getting all the right treatment. she will be fine in no time :)

Kinguni
February 16th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nice long walk in the warm 0C air today, pooped slightly more than yesterday, solid and still a bit slimy, but we'll start changing her back too her Origen tonight. Lots of boiled ground beef and rice left to give her. :thumbs up

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
She should be fine if you are introducing the Orijen slowly. I'd leave out the salmon oil capsules for now. Good luck and let us know how she does. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Kinguni
February 17th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Were going to leave out any supplements until after she's had the second Interceptor and she's had her stool checked again.

Kinguni
February 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Another solid but slimy poop this afternoon, this time with a good sized roundworm in it. We don't leave her unattended outside, and keep a 30 ft line on here or else have her on the leash or she's likely to turn around and gobble it up! She had a cup of boiled ground beef, 2 cups of rice and a cup of Origen for breakfast today and it looks like she's putting weight back on, not that she actually lost much. Hopefully the second Interceptor next Wednesday takes care of the roundworms for good.

Kinguni
February 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
She went 3 times yesterday, the last one being almost normal. She's almost 100% back on her Orijen diet as well. We'll try to finish off more of the boiled ground beef simply because it's cooked and ready for her, but other than that, hopefully the next Interceptor on Wednesday night will finish off the roundworms. :thumbs up

Kinguni
February 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
She's been 100% solid since my last post, almost to the point of crumbly for her first poop of the day today. A little soft on the second, but that may be due to the chocolate cake she ate last night (don't ask :rolleyes: ). She had her second (last) Interceptor yesterday and pooped out more worms later. Hopefully her stool tests clean next week. Now to try working on permanently weening her off poop eating so we don't have to keep leashing her in the yard. Perhaps without worms it will be easier.

rainbow
February 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Wow....she must have had a *****load of worms :eek: ....pun intended. :D

Glad to hear that her poops are solid again :highfive: .....except for the slight booboo on your part. :o

Good luck with the stool test next week. :goodvibes: Hopefully, with the worms gone she won't go back to eating poop. :fingerscr

Kinguni
February 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
.....except for the slight booboo on your part. :o

Eh, not my part. I was at work. Cake was on the kitchen counter, and with a dog her size the counter seems to be fair game for food. People get wrapped up in TV or computers or doing something else and before you know it a dog is into something she shouldn't be. In a perfect household, nothing she shouldn't have would be within her reach, but after 5 months with Shabbado my family members still haven't learnt.

rainbow
February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
:eek: Oh no...I wasn't criticizing by any means. :o

The same thing has happened in my house with my siberian husky and an onion. :eek: I have to be so careful not to leave anything within his reach. If he thinks he can get away with it he will stand on his tip toes and stretch as far as he can to reach something. :rolleyes: My long legged lab, on the other hand, doesn't try even though he loves anything edible. :shrug:

Kinguni
February 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
:eek: Oh no...I wasn't criticizing by any means. :o

None taken! :D

Shabba is really pushing her limits now. For a long time she wouldn't think of getting her feet up on tables or counters. Now we really have to watch though.

rainbow
February 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Poops good today? :fingerscr

Kinguni
February 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
One big one at lunch time, wet on the outside, but otherwise normal. I'll get her out for a walk this afternoon and she'll probably go again. We haven't been giving her the walks she needs since a) it's been too cold and b) I've been trying to work on her leash pulling and long walks aren't conducive to that kind of work. But tossing the ball in the yard for 15 minutes isn't quite the same as a 45 minute walk followed by 10 minutes of ball tossing.