Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Road of recovery, now another dog

Rottielover
February 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Ok, I will make this as short as I possibly can. No one can really understand unless they saw him. LP has had the opportunity, bet she wish she hadn't.
Anyways, for awhile now Harley has always been protective of his( what he thinks is his) car. When a dog passes by all hell breaks loose. BUT with him being healthier and hitting maturity, he has taken to a level I do not care for at all. He now does it when people pass by, especially kids.
He has always has had a prey drive, but for the past few weeks, it has been escalating. He sees kids outside playing, and he automatically goes into tense mode, like what he does when he wants to chase a squirrel.
He shows no sign of aggression at all, just high prey drive.
My greatest fear now is him getting off again, and chasing down a kid. :(.
He has also started to show lack of respect of leadership, and has increasingly selective with commands( I enforce them though)
So we have started back to boot camp. No more bed, crate at night, work for food, increasing training 100's fold.

When all said and done, the lack of leadership has been my fault, I babied him when he was sick, I let my guard down.
Oh ya, what started me boot camp again........
2 days ago I was taking him out of the car, normal routine, open trunk, he stays until leash is on and OK has been said. well not that time, I opened the trunk and he took off. Thank god not far, but he ran up to a boston terrier.
Owner knew hharley and was ok, but I was not, just as I was about to put the leash on him he marked the bostons owner.
I was furious, and he was corrected big time... The owner was ok, but I was pissed. He has always tried to be bossy with people, but NEVER has he ever tried to show such disrespect.....
Back to square one.....I have a feeling summer will be hell this year

Love4himies
February 14th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Wish you luck, good news is that Harley has an owner that is responsible, recognizes that training needs to be done and will get it done!

clm
February 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Sounds like he's pretty dominant all right. I don't envy you, a lot of work ahead, but I'm sure you'll get through it. Do you have a trainer that could come to your house and help give you some things to work on with him?

Cindy

Frenchy
February 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry about this Rottielover ! But I know you and you're a good trainer , I know you will help Harley get back on track :thumbs up

Rottielover
February 16th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I sucked it up, and rebought the prong collar, just leaving it higher on his neck, and a little tighter so it won't slip. He definetly is a dog that works better with corrections.
I am retraining the focus command with a marker method instead of the word. This will take a long time, but I know we can do it.
I will be talking to Liz from blue ribbon again on monday, see if anything I am missing

JanM
February 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I can relate to what you are going through and wish you well! Amber was doing so well that I, too, let my guard down - and voila - she went back to her previous unacceptable behaviour! So I'm back to basics with her too - and I'm pretty sure that, with Amber, I'll have to always be "the boss"..

I won't wish you luck but I will say - Good Training :D

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sending you lots of good luck with Harley. I'm sure you will work everything out with him. :fingerscr :goodvibes: