Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skipper bit someone

TinaMcq
February 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
:sad:
Today when we were coming in we where at the elevator we were standing away from the door up against the wall I like standing there just in case another dog comes out or if someone comes out that he dosen't agree with well while we were against the wall the elevator door opened and two people came walking out one was coming toward us so I started to move away and she had her hands in her sleeves of her coat and stuffed it into skippers face he bit her she asked if he had all her shots and I said yes (which he dose), but for some reason I feel that something is going to happen she didn't say anything that should make me feel that way I don't know if I should do anything like let the landlord know what happened just in case she goes and complains I don't know what to do?

luckypenny
February 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Oh my...I wish people just wouldn't stick their hands in strange dogs' faces :wall: .

I would try to speak to this woman and explain the situation, where Skipper comes from and that you are earnestly trying to work with him. In a very friendly manner, explain to her that fearful dogs react when a stranger tries to touch and/or approach them (this is why we're never supposed to touch a dog without the owner's permission). Don't blame her for it, just gently educate her. Tell her that it is the 1st time he's bitten (if that is in fact the case) and that you will, from now on, muzzle him in public for everyone's protection. Hopefully she'll be sympathetic and understanding to your situation.

Then, go out and by a leather cage-type muzzle for Skipper and start to de-sensitize him to it. Unfortunately, this is the only way to keep him, and others, safe until he learns to trust people again.

clm
February 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I agree with LP. You need to muzzle him now until you're sure he won't bite again. Especially when you're going to be in close quarters like elevators.

Cindy

danaekitty
February 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Oh, Tina, I'm so sorry! This after you've made such progress with Skipper. It's too bad that you have to go back to the muzzle. Here's hoping this lady is not some busybody trying to stir up trouble.

luckypenny
February 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Personally, I don't think if this woman reports a bite to authorities as "stirring up trouble." Yes, she's misinformed about greeting dogs; she needs to be kindly educated. It's an unfortunate incident and must be dealt with by prevention. What if it was a toddler's face :shrug:?

jessi76
February 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I agree, you'll need to take precautions now, maybe muzzle, and maybe take the stairs, not the elevator, from now on w/ the dog.

that said, it sounds like some weird body language going on...

one was coming toward us so I started to move away

This would say to me that you don't trust this person who is approaching. you are anxious about it, moving away, which translates to your dog. this can (and maybe DID) cause your dog to be more fearful.

and she had her hands in her sleeves of her coat and stuffed it into skippers face

clearly her own fault. I wouldn't blame the dog one bit (pun intended).

If you have a fearful dog, who you don't trust around other people (Maybe i'm missing something, but why did you back away?), perhaps the elevator isn't the best place to be. it's a small enclosed box, that puts you very close to other people, and doesn't allow for "flight" therefore the only other option when faced w/ a fear is "fight".

I think you got great advice on how to control the situation now, but for the future, I'd avoid the elevator.

luckypenny
February 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
This would say to me that you don't trust this person who is approaching. you are anxious about it, moving away, which translates to your dog. this can (and maybe DID) cause your dog to be more fearful.

I agree. If you can't avoid a situation, you should put yourself between the object and your dog rather than backing away (which would leave him between you and the object...something you may want to avoid).

Dutchess' Human
February 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM
In terms of your landlord, donít do anything. Donít tell him and hope that they donít either. If he comes and talks to you, tell him that your dog is new and the story behind you getting the dog. Also tell him that the lady approached the dog.

In reading some of your other threads it is tough to tell if your dog is fearful or dominant. Since you should probably take the dog to the vet anyways for the blood in his stool, you can take that opportunity to speak to the vet about this bite and his other behaviour (barking at people, etc).

The path forward will then become more clear to you, but at a minimum obedience training will help the dog (down stays are a good way to have control of your dog in a strange situation).

The stairs are also an excellent option, it's great excercise for both the dog and you. :thumbs up

TinaMcq
February 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Skipper has come along way since I got him. I only move away from people if they are in dark clothing Skipper gets into the elevator with four to five other people at a time says hello to everyone no problem I don't think he bite her out of fear honestly I believe he thought she was playing with him and he nipped her I really can't say. Skipper is still a puppy and still learning I don't agree with ppeople just sticking there hands infront of any dog without asking if its okay. I had the muzzle on him and really don't want to go back there cause since we stopped using it Skipper rubs his nose with his paws.

jessi76
February 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I only move away from people if they are in dark clothing

so... umm.. you're afraid of people in dark clothing? Sounds like a whole 'nother can of worms....

I stand by my original post, the fact that YOU backed away translated to your dog. You'd be surprised by how much of YOUR emotion can travel down the leash to your dog.