Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not sure where to go........

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I just starting on this group about two days ago and well I posted we are actively looking for a pup. Now I have read about these designer puppies, not sure exactly what that means, but if it is because two different types of pups were breed, is that not like to people having a baby, we're all different. Anywho, about what I would like to ask? :offtopic:

We are going to look at breeders, as I stated before I have kids, 8 and 11 years of age. They have grown up around animals and are very awesome with animals. My husband is very down the line and is looking for a Yorkiepoo, Chorkie, or Manchester Terrier.

Where do you do for breeds like this, his show dog friend told him about them now he is hooked. I am very unpleased to go to a breeder, but looking for these types of dogs are not usually on petfinder.

Very confused, please help!!!! :confused:

Deb

breeze
February 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
maybe you can look on a recue site...:shrug:
most known breed have a recue for the breed.. you can try there..

bendyfoot
February 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Just don't be conned into paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for a mutt...which is what all of those "breeds" you listed (and all "designer breeds") are... they're just mutts. Mixed breeds are a mixed bunch...you never know quite what you're going to get in terms of personality/looks, etc.

(FYI, I'm not anti-mutt, I love them and have two...I just don't like seeing people supporting the dolts who breed them)

I'd look into rescue groups too, there are lots of these pups that were abandoned after the novelty of their designer-ness wore off who need homes.

Gibbons
February 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
You'd be shocked by the number of dogs on petfinder who are "designer" mixed breeds- puggles, poodle crosses, etc. You may have to look a bit further out from where you live, but just today I saw two labradoodles and a puggle for rescue.

They don't come up that often, but if you actually want one- and aren't willing to support puppy-mill petstores (I swear, all they have is "designers"!) or BYB- then you may have to expand your search radius, look up various rescues individually, and be patient.

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I understand the controversy over a MUTT, but I too have been messed over by a breeder once before, but as I stated I have kids, one of them is under 10, I work with animals and have dealt with them for the passed 18 years. The thing that I can not understand is why do the rescues limit the kid thing and yet we know in our hearts we can control.

I don't want to go to a breeder, but I find rescues push you that way. Just because a kid is young, not a small kid, my daughter (the youngest) is 8, yet she is too young to be in the same house as a dog, that is small in size.

I am all for adoption, but if you are looking for a certain type of pup and a young kid (under 10), where do you go than.:sad:

Thank you,
Deb

breeze
February 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I understand you.. when my kids where small we went looking for a dog.. this dog we found at the HS was calm and playful with my kids when we went to see her..
the people there said no way you have kids, but but we were just playing with her what do you mean no way..
I was very descouraged....

we did find a dog but not there it was through a friend of ours. best dog I could have had......

we also went to adopt a second dog and they told me no no fence no dog.. AAARRRRGGGG.....
so angain we went somewhere else, we trained and we were able to handle the no fence....

where do you go :shrug: not sure... :grouphug::grouphug:

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Is there some where to posted looking for a dog on pets.ca? Or anywhere else, where maybe a rescue will come to us?

Thank you,
Deb :shrug:

LavenderRott
February 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
The problem is that you have to look for an ETHICAL breeder. Just because someone has a litter of puppies for sale, doesn't mean that they have a clue.

Your best bet is to keep an eye open at local shelters. While you may not find the exact type of puppy that you are looking for - I can guarentee you that you will find a pup that really tugs at your heartstrings and will (with a little work) be the best dog you ever had. And you will have saved a life.

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Thank you everyone who has posted so far, all of your advice is going to help me out with changing my husbands mind and well as I have been doing for the past year, I will continue to do, of getting up every morning and searching petfinder for the pup that will suit my family.

Thank you all so much again :grouphug::dog:

Deb

luckypenny
February 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Deb :) . Most rescues/shelters can't adopt out to families (even ones they may deem perfect) with young children because of insurance/liability reasons. It's not always a case of them not wanting to, but them not being allowed to :shrug:.

However, there are some rescues that may adopt a puppy under a certain age to a properly matched family. You just have to find out the age limits of each individual rescue you're interested in adopting from.

clm
February 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Just so you're prepared for a puppy and kids at the same time, puppy's all nip. All of us who have raised pups go through the biting stage and it takes time and patience and training to get a puppy to understand not to gnaw on hands and feet. They won't know the difference between your hand and your childs, so if you're going to freak out at the idea of your kids getting nipped by the puppy, you might want to consider a dog a bit older that's been fostered with kids.

Cindy

deb12
February 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I for sure know puppies nip, I work with animals and I lost our Border Collie and a year ago, now they nip even as adults LOL.

My children are 8 and older, not too worried about them doing the wrong thing, husband wants a pup, I would like to skip the whole house training, but because of the type of dog DH wants, may have to go as young as possible for the pup to know what it is like to have kids around.

I can not wait to add onto the family, but I have a feeling it will take quite a while, I was hoping spring summer, so it is easier for the pup to go out.

Again Thank to everyone for the advice and shared knowledge. I am on these boards everyday now just incase something is posted and I think Petfinder may start charging me for usage!!!! :laughing:

Deb

Longblades
February 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
A designer puppy is a cross between two recognized breeds. For instance a Labradoodle is a cross between a Labrador Retreiver and a poodle, sometimes a miniature poodle, sometimes a standard. Poodles and Labs have breed standards that the breeder should be trying to adhere to. They have their own particular health concerns that breeders should provide you with information on and clearances on, such as hip, eye and elbow troubles in Labs. With a cross it is your responsiblity to make sure the breeder does that as there may be double the problems. With a cross you have no idea what the adult dog is going to be like. It could look like a Lab or a poodle. If the parents are purebred it should not look like a mixture of the two, according to the laws of genetics. Crossing with a poodle does not guarantee that the dog will not shed. If the breeder provides the health clearances that are normally given for both breeds there is no reason to not end up with a happy pet dog. Clearances are not a guarantee of health even in the purebreds. The cross is not a purebred and you should not pay as if it were, crosses will not be allowed in some types of trialling or competition. I said labs here because I know something about them. If you are looking for a Yorkiepoo, say, then YOU will have to research both breeds, yorkies and poodles. If you get such a cross from rescue and not directly from a breeder then good for you but your research opportunities are severely limited and the health concerns and checks probably are not going to be available to you.

coppperbelle
February 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I have a foster pup right now and I am looking for a family with children for her. She loves kids and I have seen her interact with them so I know this is what she needs.
I have two families that are very interested in her. One has three kids, one of which is special needs. I have no doubt that Sophie is gentle enough to do well in this kind of family.
In our rescue it depends on the dog, its history etc..