Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

epilepsy in dogs

LLB
February 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the community. My dog was just diagnosed with epilepsy and was put on phenobaritol. I was wondering if anyone else's dog may have the same thing and if I should expect any side effects from the drug? Thanks
LLB (Linda)

meg4050
February 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Linda,
I don't have a dog with epilepsy, but my cat Peaches was diagnosed recently and is also on Phenobarbitol. What dosage is your dog on? The main side effects for the first few weeks while the body is still adjusting to the drug will be increase in thirst and he will seem sedated. I didn't notice much of a difference in Peaches other than getting tired quickly after playing for a bit but he's back to normal now. Also, I was told by my vet not to be suprised if he has a seizure while on the meds because it can take up to a month to fully affect his system, but be sure to tell your vet if it does happen b/c it may mean your dog needs a higher dosage. Hope this helps!
Megan

LLB
February 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Megan,
Thanks for your information about phenobarbitol. My dog Trevor's dose is 16.2 mg. He takes one half a tablet every 12 hours. Today is his 2nd day and he seems to be sleeping more but according to what you said this seems normal. Thanks.
Linda (LLB)