Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Husky Puppy with Diarrhea Problem!

Mikeyjer
February 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Rocco the Husky Pup almost 5 mo at the end of this month. We got him from a Pet shop where he was returned by the previous owner. The Pet shop owner took Rocco to their vet and was told he needs hypoallergic food, but he refuses to eat it. He rather eat what my dogs eat which is Nature's Choice Lamb and Rice Formula. First of all, I think the previous owner fed him people food cause that's all he wants at first and we refuse to give him any. Then he got hungry and started eating Nature's Choice so we thought it's better then nothing since he is eating. But he had the diarrhea problem since day one even at the shop. They give me some powder meds to give him to go with his food(prescribed by the vet), he doesn't like it, IF I sprinkle it on his food, he won't touch it, he'll go to the other bowl to eat. We've had him for almost a week now, on his second day, he had solid poop. But that very night it was diarrhea again and the day after and the day after.....I am beginning to worry and I am planning on getting him to my vet this coming week since he isn't improving....I am not sure what to do as this is the very first time this ever happened to me, I've had a lot of puppies in the past, but never had to deal with a issue like this. We thought maybe his diet was changed so many times and needs time to adjust to the new food, but it's been one week tomorrow night since we've had him. IF you subtract 2 days that he wasn't eating well because he wanted people food, that's 5 days tomorrow night he's been eating the new food. Wouldn't he improve?? Thanks for any help!

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I would feed him boiled chicken and rice with a tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling type) until his poop firms up.

Do you know what the pet store was feeding him? If it was something other than what you are feeding (do you mean Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice? as I've never heard of Natures Choice) then it would take longer than 5 days for his system to adjust.

Also, Siberian Huskies seem to do better on a chicken based kibble. I would put him on one of the premium/holistic brands. You can check out the Food Forum here for lots of good choices. If you have any questions about them you can start a thread there.

Dutchess' Human
February 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'm on my second weak-stomached dog at the moment, and there's one remedy that works 100% so far for me.

Make a big pot of rice, once it's done, dump in a can of condensed chicken broth, a couple of eggs (2 or 3 depending on the size of the rice pot) and a couple heaping tablespoons of cottage cheese. The dog will beg for this stuff and it will have you back to solid waste in a day or two at the most. Feed them the same volume per meal that you would dry kibble. Refridgerate whatever isn't eaten - it'll keep up to a week covered in the fridge. Once dog poo is solid you can start mixing kibble in with the rice mixture slowly (10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) until the rice is gone.

If I can dig up the original recipe my vet gave me I will give you the exact amounts of each ingredient. I've made it so many times that I kind of do it by eye now.

That'll get you through the short term, for long term it's more difficult. You've got to find the exact food that the dog will gobble up and still be OK. The only problem is you need a minimum of 3 weeks per food to know if it helps. I'm working on a big database of ingredients for premium dog foods at the moment which I thnk is going to be a lot of help. Once you've tried a few different brands I can cross reference the ingredients for you, but with only one brand you know of it could be any ingredient in it that's setting him off.

Good luck with the new puppy! It'll be worth it in the end.

Edit: I found the exact instructions from the vet

BLAND DIET FOR GASTRIC UPSET - DOGS

1 scrambled egg or 1/2 cup cooked lean beef
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup consume
1 tbsp cottage cheese

Combine mixture. For the first 48h give only 1 to 2 tbsp of mixture at a time, giving 8 to 10 feedings over entire day. As vomiting/diarrhea subsides, gradually increase amount of feedings until giving only 3 meals of 1 cup mixure. Begin adding regular kibble as 50% mixture on 4th day if no vomiting. On day 7 return to full regular kibble.

Small dogs should eat 1 to 1.5 cups per day
Medium dogs should eat 2 to 3 cups per day
Large dogs should eat 4 cups per day

Mikeyjer
February 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for you guys' help!!! Tonight, he have a almost solid poop. At least it's a shaped poop, not a running poop. BUT I find their food have been mixed by my partner, that dumb idiot going to make them all sick. There was some left over food that was given to us by the Petshop. I'm feeding mine Nutro Natural Choice, making that clear.....We'll see what happens....