Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog gave birth to one puppy only...is this normal?

hreynolds1976
February 13th, 2008, 11:57 PM
help!!! does anyone know the questions to dog pregnacy...my lab had went into labor at 12 mid night and had one puppy at 4am...is that normal to have just one puppy? she acting normal but tired* i guess from the labor but i expected her to have atleast 4 puppys! ive never herd of such a thing of having just one pup...dont they come in litters? cant afford the vet right now....what are the tell tale signs...what should i be looking for? is there dead pups inside of her or is everything ok?:lightbulb::lightbulb:

jiorji
February 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
wait...let me grab my xray :rolleyes:

please call an emergency vet. We can';t help you here. The other pups are probably stuck:sad:

mafiaprincess
February 14th, 2008, 12:35 AM
If you can't afford a vet. You can't afford to be breeding. If you can't be bothered to research before letting your female get pregnant. You really shouldn't be breeding. Singleton puppies happen so do whelping problems. If you dog has other pups that aren't being whelped they will die, and your girl may too.

Your choice is to wait and have her possibly die, or find money and go to the vet.

clm
February 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM
OMG, why on earth would you waste time and risk your dogs health posting here instead of seeking medical attention for her ASAP. :wall:

Cindy

Love4himies
February 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Find the money, you did this to your dog, now it is your responsibility to care for her.

:wall::wall::wall:

Poor dog:cry:

CearaQC
February 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
One pup is not normal in most cases. My rescued dog Belle had 10.

Pups may be stuck and labor is not progressing. If that is the case then the dog may very well die if something is not done.

However, it can be normal to not deliver for an hour or two in some cases. Feel her belly and see if there is still movement from other pups. There's a definite appearance difference in the dog after all pups are out and the dog should finally rest comfortably. Be sure she has lots of liquids like water and broth. Offer her mushed up food softened with water later on and wash her hind legs with warm water and change the bedding.

Just now seeing that your post was written after 1 am so if you haven't taken her to the vet by now, or if she has not had the pups.... what can I say.

Hope everything turns out.

bethaliz
February 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Sinbleton pups happen often, although they are more common in smaller breeds. I've only heard of a couple singleton's in breeds over 30lbs. If you we're expecting 4 pups, I would assume that means that your dog was quite large (meaning he belly got quite big). Did her belly go down flat after whelping one pup?

This is what I know ALL mothers and their pups need to go to the vet within 24 hrs after birth. This is to make sure the mother has not retained a placenta or pup. It is also to make sure that their are no health concerns with the pups, including cleft palets and other birth defects that may cause a pup to die of have difficulties breathing, feeding etc. It's a much needed trip to the vet.

As most bitches whelp overnight, an experienced breeder will look at the bitch when s/he feels the bitch has finished whelping. S/he will palapate the abdomen, if it's still hard, s/he feels a pup (it's easier to really feel individual pups when some are moved out), or anything else feels out of place the breeder will take the dog to the vet ASAP (usually the ER vet) to be checked as these are good signs that pups are still present once labour's stopped. If the bitch is soft, flat, no obvious signs of pups etc the breeder typically will wait, call the vet in the morning and make an appointment for THAT day to have everyone checked out.

If there are pups, a retained placenta etc, infection can and will set in quickly. Often by the time their are obvious signs of something being wrong, its too late to save the pups and bitch.

It is EXTREMELY important that you get this bitch to the vet. If YOU were expecing 4 and only got 1 pup then something is amiss. The fact that you feel something is wrong enough to post here, indicates that something isn't right. I know their can be an expense, but when you choose to breed you took on the responsibility. If money is tight I'm sure the vet will be happy to make some kind of payment arrangements with you. They will not stop a dog in need of care, walk away if they can help (at least any decent vet shouldn't). Worse case senario, maybe you need to contact a rescue in your area and give the dog and pups up. If you can not care for the dog (which includes providing needed vet care) and any needs that will arise between now and through the lives of the pups, you probly shoul let someone take her who can. It sounds harsh, but breeding costs money. If you can't afford to get everyong checked out now, how can you afford, vacinatons, registration, tattoo's, microchips, health checks, milk replacer (if the mother wont or can't feed) and all the other NORMAL costs of a litter?

I know it's been done now, but you really should have thought this through before having the litter. If you can't not afford it, don't do it.

Get her to a vet, give her to a rescue if you can't because she NEEDS to go to a vet it's not negotiable, spay her.

I hope your girl is fine, I hope you get her to a vet, I hope the pups are fine. Please do the right thing by your dog. And let us know she's okay

marko
February 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Please members - no rudeness.

Thanks,
Marko