Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Confused? Vet food.

Ford Girl
February 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Ok, so how does this make sense...when Pubert had his teeth pulled and went thru all the issues a few weeks ago, they told me within 3 weeks they want me to put him on the Hills Perscription c/d Formula for his teeth....

I asked why. Was told cuz the kibble is harder and shaped to clean the teeth, soft food and all other kibble isn't formulated, raw food doesn't work the teeth..blah blah blah...remember that?

Today I called back to report in after 2 weeks, Pubert's doing just fine, eating and drinking, back pain under control. I asked if we had to come back next week for a receheck...the vet said..."yes, to pick up food". I didn't reply. He says..."we reccomended the dental formula, remember"...and then says...

"We want Pubert to start eating the c/d formula, either the kibble or canned wet food...what ever he would prefer, or mix it." I said..."canned? I thought you said he had to eat this majical teeth cleaning kibble and that no other option would clean his teeth"...silence. "Yes, the canned formula works to clean teeth as well."

Does anyone else see what's wrong with this?? :frustrated: :yell: :wall:

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM
:laughing: :rolleyes: not enough real food info training - just been brain washed by :yuck: companies

I hope you said I will Never feed my cat your prescription :censored:! :D

SnowDancer
February 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Isn't the Hill's food for teeth called t/d? My Dachshund had the c/d for his urinary stones!

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Pubert has had some urinary/kidney issues that's why the c/d

clm
February 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
This whole thing with vets and their promoting these foods is making me think. Scary huh :laughing:
Now I'm wondering, does the veterinary associations for Canada or the US have codes of conduct where vets have limits on gifts, promotional offers, kickbacks or whatever you want to call from companies that want them to reccommend or carry their foods, or from the animal drug companies who want them to use their products?
The whole thing just smacks of a type of corruption to me. :shrug:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I believe the vet food companies pay alot into the Vet training schools.

luckypenny
February 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Does anyone else see what's wrong with this?? :frustrated: :yell: :wall:

Yes, but it's obvious the vet chooses not to :rolleyes: .

I believe the vet food companies pay alot into the Vet training schools.

And the 100%+ mark-up can be quite advantageous as well if they sell enough bags & cans :rolleyes: .

Luba
February 13th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Crappy food and vets can be like drug pushers when it comes to selling it as they make a fortune off selling pet food and giving vaccines.:wall:

mafiaprincess
February 14th, 2008, 12:40 AM
So the t/d formula would be harder to supposedly clean teeth.. but due to kidney problems you'd need the c/d not formulated for teeth pretend cleanliness. But pick up the c/d for the teeth anyhow. Wow. They sure are special there.

dustybird
February 14th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Ok so at first he's pushing dry food on a cat that has had urinary/kidney problems in the past. I would think he should be pushing wet food as the urinary/kidney health issues would trump the newly cleaned teeth. I know bad teeth leading to infections can cause kindney/liver issues but his teeth are good now(I assume since he had teeth pulled they cleaned the rest). I would also think most vets would push wet(of course their brand but not the point right now) food and at home teeth cleaning schedule...it's not like you can go in and clean his bladder and other organs out(sounded kinda silly). Anyway my point is you can do things like brush the teeth(lot's of different ways now) but you have to rely on nutrition to take care of everything else.

The c/d food is for urinary issues not teeth, sure they may have added something to the newly formulated c/d to help with the teeth but either way the vet just doesn't seem to make much sense. He needs to make up his mind of what he's pushing...don't think he get's questioned enough, and when he does he get's flustered.

I feed my cat's wet and dry(they both really like dry and I am a sucker) and they are 6 and 7 and their teeth are quite good. On a side note just from watching my cat's eat...
dry-chomp or no chomp and swallow and maybe a drink
wet-munch/lick swallow followed by a long session of licking their chops(which I would think would get the saliva going etc...and maybe help clean debris from the teeth) don't know if that makes sense or if it really does anything.

Most cats don't chew their dry food unless the kibble is on the large side, heck I tried a sample t/d as treat once and Forest swallowed them whole so how was it going to clean his teeth.

You can use a dry/slightly damp gauze square to clean their teeth too just by wrapping it on the end of your finger and then rubbing the teeth, it's surprising what comes off on the gauze and some cat's tollerate it a lot better than actual brushing.

well that was long and just my :2cents: It's late so if it didn't make a whole lot of sense I appologize.

Love4himies
February 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Obviously the person at the vet clinic didn't think about what they were saying to contradict themselves like that.

The only time I really saw a cat chew on their back teeth was when my foster kittens were eating a chunk of raw meat, and boy did they chew it. Oh yes, and when my Snowball would catch a mouse and chew off the head and bring the body to us :yuck:.

ancientgirl
February 14th, 2008, 09:54 AM
It's kind of rude for them to insist you feed Pubert what they want him to eat. If he's doing fine and you are able to keep his teeth clean, I don't see why you should feed him that.

Hills had a pet health day at the Petco near my place. They were giving away free samples of their food and other stuff. I went to check out what they were talking about and giving away.

I talked to the guy for a while. I've been giving the F4 Eukaneuba, which they like and which looks to be from their ingredient listing to be good. They like it too. I give Czarina Innova, which she loves. Anyway, he went on to tell me how bad both of those brands were, gave me a bag with Hills samples, a measuring cup and a booklet that showed illustrated samples of cats from 1-5 in the body chart.

I left Petco, threw away the food samples and kept the measuring cup and the booklet. That's all I needed from them.

krdahmer
February 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM
The girl at the desk tried to give me the medical dental stuff too when I picked up Buddy, but although the vets 'recommend' theirs, they are also happy to discuss raw/non-vet food and canned diets with you as well. I think that these companies throw money at the vets to sell their products, and I know in my vets case, she does so much charity work and helps many animals for free, them trying to hock their food doesn't bother me so much if it's helping other animals get vet care. One of the vets actually feeds her own a raw diet, and was very helpful in giving me some tips, like slightly searing it in a pan to warm it up might make it more appealing to my guys who have never had raw meat, (but love eating my cooked meat).

I think if you stand your ground, and maybe even give them the reasons you won't feed their food... they'll see you aren't one of their 'bulliable' clients and leave you be.

Ford Girl
February 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry, my mistake. It's the t/d (dental) formula they want Pubert on...but years ago, they wanted him on c/d for his urinarty tract issues...they did say c/d on the phone.

My problem was that they told me to come get some kibble and wet food. Yet the first explanation I got about this dental kibble was so that he had to chew it therefore cleaning his teeth. I asked about adding a better canned food to the hard kibble and/or raw, to ensure he got what the kibble was definitly lacking, he explained no - those don't clean their teeth - only this kibble will do.

BUT THEY JUST TOLD ME TO COME GET SOFT CANNED T/D. :yell: Thats what confused me.

To me, from all of this, they push what ever formula they think will help the current issue. And even if I fed this stuff, they still want me to go every year for a cleaning. :shrug:

They also told me that I don't need to come back next week unless I thought there was an issue - which means we don't have to "discuss" food anytime soon.

I do like my vet, and how they deal with my critters, and how they have helped me save $$$ over the years, their availability is great, we have never agreed on food over the years...we do have discussions about vet ear cleaner vs apple cidar vinigar...etc...they also help with breeding...I wonder if they have any stipulations or if they help all breeders...I have never asked, but I've been in there while breeders/clients have been chatting with the docs...

In a big city like this, you have so many options, but it's still hard to make the switch. I wonder if I should look around...the only thing is the history and relationship...:shrug: Maybe a more holistic or nature approach might be better for all of us?? :wall: The whole medicam for life bothers me...

Chico - I bet you know how I feel about switching...:laughing:

sugarcatmom
February 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
BUT THEY JUST TOLD ME TO COME GET SOFT CANNED T/D. :yell: Thats what confused me.

Ummm, I think someone at your vet clinic is confused, because Hill's doesn't even make canned T/D. Dry only. Here's a list of all their prescription products: http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/products/pd_product_list.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=14084743 95183868&bmUID=1203023044905

Masha
February 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I just looked into that link sugarcatmom posted and found the Hill's food that my vet wanted me to feed to my GSD pup, i dont understand whats going through their minds when they reccomend such foods :yell: :wall:
At the time i was feeding solid gold and the vet said i better get him on some GOOD food before its not too late, such as this :yuck: :

Ingredients
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Liver Flavor, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Oat Fiber, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

How can THIS be better then the SolidGold he was eating at the time??!!! This food is supposed to support a healthy skeletal developent.... didnt know that CORN was important for skeletal development!! :wall: