Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cushings and Diabetes - our poodle

Montroze
February 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Hello, our poodle was diaganosed close to 3 years ago with these 2 diseaes, he is taking Lysodren 500MG 1/2 pill twice a week and insulin every morning. He has been doing very good, but latley his thirst had increased (possibly high sugars) (I am a diabetic also) but he had anal gland problems and was out on Clavamox 125 mg - one a day for 21 days, in that time his thirst decreased and his need to go out in the middle of the night. Is thier some kind of connection between the antibiotics and his decrease in thirst and needing to go out in the night. Is it safe to keep him on a lowe dose of this antibiotic. He is only 7 years old.

the gang
February 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
i have a min pin that is diabect, we found out in oct, i might if i were you do another blood curve on him , his sugars might be a bit high and he might need inslin at supper time, i too am diabect, dakota is now 9 yrs old he too peed at night, now i have him on .5 at 6am and .5 at 6 pm this seems to be working fine good luck with the curve brenda and the pins.

sugarcatmom
February 14th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hello, our poodle was diaganosed close to 3 years ago with these 2 diseaes, he is taking Lysodren 500MG 1/2 pill twice a week and insulin every morning. He has been doing very good, but latley his thirst had increased (possibly high sugars) (I am a diabetic also) but he had anal gland problems and was out on Clavamox 125 mg - one a day for 21 days, in that time his thirst decreased and his need to go out in the middle of the night. Is thier some kind of connection between the antibiotics and his decrease in thirst and needing to go out in the night. Is it safe to keep him on a lowe dose of this antibiotic. He is only 7 years old.

Well, infection can raise blood glucose, so if the antibiotics were helping to keep an infection in check, then it's possible that your poodle's bg went down somewhat while he was on them, resulting in less drinking/peeing. The fact that he's drinking more now that he's off them could mean a couple of things. One is that the infection has come back, but it also sounds like your pup isn't that well regulated. Like Brenda says, it's probably time for a bg curve and an insulin dose adjustment. Have you ever thought about giving insulin twice a day instead of just once? That would provide better coverage over 24 hours, which could help. Also, if you were to learn how to test your dog's bg at home with a human glucometer, you'd have a better idea of how he's doing without having to run to the vet so often. This website, if you haven't already seen it, is pretty informative: http://www.caninediabetes.org/

Also, no it wouldn't be a good idea to keep your dog on antibiotics indefinitely. It's possible that he might need to go on them for a bit longer to completely clear up any infection, but only your vet can tell you that.