- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Another Buddy & Meds question...

February 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ok... was researching some of Buddy's Blood test results. And I ended up back here... :D He had an elevated platelet count which if I understand correctly can indicate a problem with bone marrow, or more likely here to me, an elevated count can be induced by stress. But my question is, should he be on the metacam then? I read that NSAIDs like metacam shouldn't be used if there is a high platelet count...:confused:

I do have a call in to the vet and am still waiting for a call back. Just wondering if any of you have any expertise... or experience.

February 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok got vet's answer. :o

Metacam is contraindicated if the platelet counts are low I guess not high. And the platelet count was most likely high because the sample had started to clot while they were testing it. So mystery solved.

February 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Tee hee....this has got to be the shortest pet health thread ever. :D Glad your mystery is solved. :thumbs up

Hugs for Buddy. :grouphug:

Ford Girl
February 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
This interests me alot....Pubert is on Meticam for life...4 drops per day...eventually down to 2 if the pain is tolerable. I'd be interested in any info you find about it and what your vet says about long term use.

February 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm glad there turned out to be a happy explanation! :grouphug:

How is Buddy doing today?

February 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Much better, thanks. I think tomorrow I will let him out most of the day. He's been out 3 hours now and seems to be fine.