Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another Buddy & Meds question...

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Ok... was researching some of Buddy's Blood test results. And I ended up back here... :D He had an elevated platelet count which if I understand correctly can indicate a problem with bone marrow, or more likely here to me, an elevated count can be induced by stress. But my question is, should he be on the metacam then? I read that NSAIDs like metacam shouldn't be used if there is a high platelet count...:confused:

I do have a call in to the vet and am still waiting for a call back. Just wondering if any of you have any expertise... or experience.

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok got vet's answer. :o

Metacam is contraindicated if the platelet counts are low I guess not high. And the platelet count was most likely high because the sample had started to clot while they were testing it. So mystery solved.

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Tee hee....this has got to be the shortest pet health thread ever. :D Glad your mystery is solved. :thumbs up

Hugs for Buddy. :grouphug:

Ford Girl
February 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
This interests me alot....Pubert is on Meticam for life...4 drops per day...eventually down to 2 if the pain is tolerable. I'd be interested in any info you find about it and what your vet says about long term use.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm glad there turned out to be a happy explanation! :grouphug:

How is Buddy doing today?

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Much better, thanks. I think tomorrow I will let him out most of the day. He's been out 3 hours now and seems to be fine.