Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seeing the new vet today,with Rocky

chico2
February 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM
We have an appointment for 11:30 today,believe it or not,I am a little nervous:pray:I like him..
They did not recieve the records of my cats yet,probably because the old vets want to charge me for them.
I was told though,that they don't need them,I have the latest lab-results on Rocky and have always kept a record of anything done to my cats.
So:censored:the old vets,they are not getting another penny from me:thumbs up

breeze
February 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Good luck today. Hope everything works out for you.:thumbs up:fingerscr

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Good luck, Chico, :fingerscr

Kristin7
February 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
They make you pay for your pet's records?! is that common? why would any vet do that? Do Drs also make you pay? I thought that was illegal.. :crazy:

badger
February 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
No, they can charge for records, as can your own doctor, it is seen as 'proprietary information', even though it is about you (or your cat). I switched opticians once (because the company fired the optician I always saw, and liked) and they refused outright to transfer my information.
Good luck, Chico. I hope this one is a keeper. Consumers rule!

14+kitties
February 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Good Luck today Chico. Will have my fingers crossed that he is as good as you hope. And :evil: old vets! My doc charged me $50.00 when I changed to my new one down here. Money hungry buggers.
Sending :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
February 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
you have got to be kidding!! cahrging for your records I would inform them in writing that any problems arising as a result of not tranferring patient records will result in a tortious interference lawsuit .

chico2
February 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Jim Hall,I've been told some vets do,others don't,but they are losing 3 patients $$$$ and I am sure my cats are not the first ones to leave this office.
I was prepared to pay,but the new vet says it's not needed,I have all the medical infos on record myself.

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
:goodvibes: for Rocky...

And :thumbs up smarty pants Chico! I also have a health log for each of my guys in a file folder with copies of all their invoices. They really come in handy and now I'm really glad I keep them... charging more money for information you've already paid for... sad. :frustrated:

loopoo
February 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
good luck with your vet appointment for Rocky:thumbs up

I keep all copies and records for my guys too..

Frenchy
February 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Good luck Chico2 ! :goodvibes:

phoozles
February 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
:fingerscr That you'll get some real answers about Rocky!! :goodvibes:

Lukka'sma
February 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I hope the visit went well chico and Rocky found some new friends :)
I will have to read the update when I get home from work tonight at 11:30

cmt489
February 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
While I would have to check the regulations for vets to be certain, I believe they are the same as health records for people. The records do, in fact, belong to the patient but the health care practitioner has an obligation to hold onto them. The practioner must also transfer either the original or a copy of the records if the patient requests that this be done. They can be viewed at anytime at the patients request and the practioner MUST provide you with a copy if requested. They can charge for reproduction of the chart but that charge must be "reasonable". There are no strict guidelines on what reasonable means, however, it is generally accepted that hundreds of dollars for a few pages is not reasonable.

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Good luck today with Rocky. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Good luck, Rocky! :cat: I hope you and your mom hit it off well with the new vet! :fingerscr

cpietra16
February 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Good Luck Chico...I wish you guys both luck...It will go well!!!:thumbs up

chico2
February 13th, 2008, 03:52 PM
UPDATE!Well,it was a great experience,he was very thourough,more than my old vets ever were and I really like him,now,that's the good news:thumbs up
He(the vet)was really surprised that my old vets started Rocky on 1/4 pill twice daily in oct 2006,he said he always starts with one whole pill.
My other vets fiddled around with 1/4 for quiet a while,then added a 1/2 every second day and finally a month ago to 1/2 twice daily.
This vet,shaved Rockys neck and showed me the growth on his thyroid,it's huge:sad:and I have to keep an eye on it.
He also checked Rockys eyes thoroughly with the right equipment,not just looked at his eyes,like the others and checked his heart and temperature.
I think he spent about 1 hour with Rocky,was not able to find the vein in his neck because of his growth,but took blood in his leg instead.
My old vets never told me anything,especially about the tumour,I had no idea,they were always more concerned with selling me their stupid food and teethcleaning.
I just wish I had gone there sooner,maybe Rocky would not have this big growth now:sad:
He also gave me Tylosin 100mg capsules for his runny poop for a week and if they work,he wants me to have him on them for another 3 weeks.
Isn't that a bit long for antibiotics??
I am also going to try the Butternut Squash baby-food and the vet was all for it.
Sorry this got long,I was really upset with Rockys growth,but all in all a good experience:thumbs up
Also,not that it was the only reason for switching vets,but after all he did,he was still $50 cheaper than my old vet,who did not do even half of what he did,keeps hubbies nerves in check:laughing:

Ford Girl
February 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM
We have an appointment for 11:30 today,believe it or not,I am a little nervous:pray:I like him..

Don't be nervous, maybe he likes you too...;) ;) LOL! Oh, I just saw your last line about your hubby... :o :laughing:

Glad to see the update, isn't it great to find something out, after all the work and research and appts. :thumbs up Good for you, keep us posted!!

14+kitties
February 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'm glad it was a positive experience Chico. Sorry to hear the tumour is a lot bigger than originally thought. :sad: Hopefully the meds will help control it.
It's always good when vets take the time to look over everything carefully. Makes mom feel good.

JanM
February 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
It sounds like you've got Rocky in the right hands! I do hope the new vets are able to help you both..

growler~GateKeeper
February 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
They did not recieve the records of my cats yet,probably because the old vets want to charge me for them.

Charging for a transfer of records is ridiculous - I wouldn't pay it. Here in BC I have had records for Duffy transferred twice - no charge. And I have also had :rip::dog: Cally's entire file incl everything little thing written by the Dr - 12 years worth - photocopied by his vet's office (different from Duffys') for my own records - no charge. :)

UPDATE!Well,it was a great experience,he was very thourough,more than my old vets ever were and I really like him,now,that's the good news:thumbs up
He(the vet)was really surprised that my old vets started Rocky on 1/4 pill twice daily in oct 2006,he said he always starts with one whole pill.
My other vets fiddled around with 1/4 for quiet a while,then added a 1/2 every second day and finally a month ago to 1/2 twice daily.
This vet,shaved Rockys neck and showed me the growth on his thyroid,it's huge:sad:and I have to keep an eye on it.
He also checked Rockys eyes thoroughly with the right equipment,not just looked at his eyes,like the others and checked his heart and temperature.
I think he spent about 1 hour with Rocky,was not able to find the vein in his neck because of his growth,but took blood in his leg instead.
My old vets never told me anything,especially about the tumour,I had no idea,they were always more concerned with selling me their stupid food and teethcleaning.
I just wish I had gone there sooner,maybe Rocky would not have this big growth now:sad:
He also gave me Tylosin 100mg capsules for his runny poop for a week and if they work,he wants me to have him on them for another 3 weeks.
Isn't that a bit long for antibiotics??
I am also going to try the Butternut Squash baby-food and the vet was all for it.
Sorry this got long,I was really upset with Rockys growth,but all in all a good experience:thumbs up

Glad you like the new vet & @ a better price :thumbs up
:fingerscr :goodvibes: the bump in med dosage will bring down the T4 numbers
The Thyroid gland is normally so small it is very hard to feel it - my conventional vet showed me by having my fingers on hers as she felt for Duffys'
The medications for HyperT are generally seen as a bridge to a different treatment route ie surgery or RaId, obviously the old vet is not very familiar with aggressive treatment protocols or doesn't see very many cases :shrug:
3 weeks is not unheard of for antibiotics - just ask Hazelrunpack
:thumbs up for him okay w/the Butternut squash babyfood - remember Heinz Organics or Earth Organics babyfood

krdahmer
February 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I'm glad that the new vet was good:thumbs up.... and I'm sorry that Rocky's growth is so big! :sad: I'm sure that new vet will stay on top of it though...

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds like Rocky is going to be a new kitty in no time. :thumbs up Your new vet sounds great which must make you feel so much better. :goodvibes:

loopoo
February 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
i am glad you found a vet you feel good about.. and i hope the change in meds help rocky feel better, he is a beautiful kitty as are all of yours:)

Luba
February 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
This vet,shaved Rockys neck and showed me the growth on his thyroid,it's hugeand I have to keep an eye on it.

I'm glad so glad you went to this vet. Thyroid growths (goiters) can cause tremendous problems including respiratory distress if they are pressing against airway. So glad this new vet seems more adapt at getting to the root cause of the problem. Was he interested in doing a ultrasound or xray of the neck to see if there is any impeding of the airway?

Poor little Rocky, Luba sends you great big hugs and lots and lots of love an kissies. For you too Anita, the kisses though you probably don't want LMHO :laughing:

Frenchy
February 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
An hour with Rocky ? That's a good vet ! :thumbs up Don't blame yourself Chico2 , it's hard to make the decision to switch vet and even harder to look for a better one.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm glad you and Rocky hit it off with the new vet, chico. Sorry the news wasn't better, but it sounds like Rocky is in way better hands now! :thumbs up :fingerscr for improvement under the new protocol!

Yeah, growler's right...3 weeks is not an inordinately long time for antibiotics. :rolleyes: Our dogs are currently on 4 weeks of antibiotics for leptospirosis; Ridge will be on Clavamox likely for at least 12 weeks for the folliculitis and earlier last year, I lost count of all the weeks we had dogs on doxycycline for anaplasmosis. :o Depending on the type of infection, the course of treatment will vary.

And it's good to see you back, Luba!! :D

chico2
February 14th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thank's girls..I feel so much better,although the news were not great..
However I rather have an honest vet,who tells me what's going on,than vets who treat me like a dummy,who knows nothing:cat:

I was worried about beeing able to give Rocky the antibiotics,but I wrap him in a towel and hubby puts it in his mouth.
They are capsules so don't taste bad,which is great and Rocky is beeing an :angel2:
I have not noticed any breathing difficultys and I would notice,he is always by my side.
I guess after a bit,we will have to think of other options:sad:

One more thing,this new vet totally discourage declawing:thumbs upunlike the old vets,who promoted and almost pushed for it,as if it was the natural thing to do to cats:yell:
I heard it on several occasions,while waiting our turn and new kitten-owners often don't know better.

Chris21711
February 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=chico2;546738

One more thing,this new vet totally discourage declawing:thumbs upunlike the old vets,who promoted and almost pushed for it,as if it was the natural thing to do to cats:yell:
I heard it on several occasions,while waiting our turn and new kitten-owners often don't know better.[/QUOTE]

:eek:Chico I am horrified to read that, I have never heard of any vet promoting de-clawing :pray:

Love4himies
February 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Have to be brief, I am on Via Rail

Glad to hear your experience went well.

Antibiotics for 3 wks is not rare depending on the bacteria.

chico2
February 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Chris,the last time I heard this,was just a month ago.
A young man was there with 2 kittens,first time cat-owner.
The person behind the desk told him"Why not declaw them at the same time as n/s"very casually:yell:I am sure she had been told to do so,by the vets.
A new owner often knows nothing about declawing and might very well go for it,out of ignorance.
I did say to him,as he was confused"please do not declaw your kittens"and he agreed:cat:

chico2
February 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
About Rocky,although I had bad news,he has gained almost 1lb:thumbs up

clm
February 14th, 2008, 07:46 PM
He's gained a pound. That's wonderful Chico2. I may just have to get you to PM me the name and phone number of your new vet. I'm still pretty upset about my favorite vet moving to Barrie. :sad:

Cindy

14+kitties
February 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Yay!!! for Rocky gaining a pound! That's gotta be a good thing. :thumbs up Rocky!

chico2
February 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM
clm,my "old"original vet moved back to Scotland and we actually cried buckets when she said good-bye:sad:
I'll be happy to give you the info on my new guy...actually not that difficult to get to from Mississauga,but it seems to me there is a vet in every streetcorner in Mississauga(one of my sons live there).
Oh,and Rocky has gained ALMOST 1Lb.

chico2
February 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
The new vet called me last night and it was kind of good news.
All his values were good:thumbs uphis thyroid was slightly elevated.
The high norm at this lab is 65(whatever that means:confused:)and Rockys is at 73,after we increased the meds a month ago.
I am increasing his meds by another quarter pill.
He(the vet)sees no immediate danger with Rockys lump,but we will discuss options in a months time.

Lukka'sma
February 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hope Rocky is feeling better soon. Having a good relationship with your vet is half the battle:thumbs up

Kristin7
February 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
So glad you like the new vet!! That annoys me about vets and Drs charging for records, it is personal info. I do keep my pets records, but still, on principle, seems like only copying fees should be charged, and possibly a little for someones time. Anyway, I agree on the time on antibiotics, my dog was just on them for 3 weeks for a UTI.

Frenchy
February 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm happy about the good test results ! :thumbs up

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
YAY for Rocky's good report. :highfive:

loopoo
February 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
great news on Rockys test results :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
February 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Good news! :highfive: I love good test results! :D

chico2
February 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Yes,so do I,but I don't get overly excited,he still has a problem...
Rocky is,at the moment,a scrawny regular Tabby,but I love him sooo much.
he is full of funny quirks,has habits that have to be followed.
For instance,he has to sleep on the TV-Guide on the couch,if it's not there he won't lay down:cat:
In the summer I bought new sandals,never wore them,he likes the smell and sleeps on them.
He joins us for lunch and dinner every day,on the chair next to me,he is such a character and I would miss him terribly was he gone.
Chico and Vinnie I adore too of course,but they are nothing like Rocky,he is my very special funny little guy:lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
February 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
All his values were good:thumbs uphis thyroid was slightly elevated.
The high norm at this lab is 65(whatever that means:confused:)and Rockys is at 73,after we increased the meds a month ago.

Good news with all other values :highfive: & the T4 level is not that bad :thumbs up

It's so dumb how the labs all have different normal ranges, you'd think they'd equalize it across the country having every lab using the same system :wall:

Out here in BC the normal range for T4 is 18-40. When Duffy went in for RaId Therapy her T4 was 45. Some of the cats treated in the same group as her were so sick & had numbers in the 100's (40 being high end of normal) :sad:

chico2
February 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Growler,the vet told me about the differences in labs and it is strange,you'd think they'd use the same system.
You know,not once did the old vets check for a lump in Rockys throat and it's the first thing my new vet checked for.
Thank Dog,I finally got off my butt and changed vet:thumbs up