Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New from Ontario - Actively looking for a pup

deb12
February 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Good Morning all,

I am new from Ontario and I found your forum from a search, what great information, people have posted. I guess I will be around more often as our family is looking for a pup, we lost our Border Collie about a year ago and now are looking for a new family member, hopefully small and sturdy this time as I am an avid Hiker.

So just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself.

Thank you. Bordermom

clm
February 13th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the board!
Lots of wonderful dogs on petfinder looking for homes.;)

Cindy

happycats
February 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Welcome!!:)

You may want to try. www.petfinder.com

deb12
February 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you,

we actually look everyday, in hopes one will pop up that will suit us and our kids, see small and kids don't mix in a lot of the rescues, I know, I volunteered at the Peel OSPCA a few years back. I also have worked at a Vet office and in a grooming shop. Plus the hubby has a very tall order list, so it will happen if it is meant to, but I am in the middle of reno of our basement and don't want to bring a dog in yet so waiting, till the right pup comes to us.

Thanks,
Deb

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the board, deb12!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your border collie. :grouphug: It's hard to let them go. :candle:

How exciting, though, looking for a new companion! Well, once the reno is done, anyway. :o

Have you considered maybe a slightly larger breed? More medium or medium small? Medium legs keep up better than short little legs on a strenuous hike... And if you set your preferences to a slightly larger dog, you may find a rescue that won't think that children in the house are 'undesirable'. :shrug:

Looking forward to hearing how your search progresses. :D

we3beagles
February 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
How old are your kids? A lot of rescues have an issue with toddlers for sure. Have you tried wwww.beaglepaws.com ? They are a great family dog.

happycats
February 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Here is a small sturdy cutie! http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10233992

duttypaws
February 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
there is also millions (exaggeration here) of dogs on kijiji which i found today.... heartbreaking....

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Thank you guys,

I am going to look at those pups and as for kijii, your right duttypaws it is very scary how many dogs are looking for homes there, let alone the poor pups that are in need on petfinder and other places that aren't even mentioned. I would have thought that by now people would have learnt about spaying and neutering their pups.

I feel sorry for the animals.

Deb

P.S. Small dogs, such as Yorkies, or mixed, Manchester Terriers. Husband loves those and the Border was mine, so it is his turn.

Renay
February 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM
What about a rat terrier? I honestly can't say I know much about them but they are absolutely adorable, and most terriers have boundless energy... Now you've got me off to do a breed profile search about rat terriers :P ...Welcome by the way, i'm a newbie to and also love it here :)

deb12
February 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hello Renay,

I have looked at rat terriers, they are the funniest pups, they are so petite yet are very large in personality, I think they try to look bigger that way LOL

Thank you,
Deb

Renay
February 14th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I did a bit of research on them and while I can't speak for you, from what you had written they seem to me to be a good match. They're energetic, and are apparently excellent with kids.

shane 123
March 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I have to go along with that - Rat terriers never run out of steam and make great pets for kids. Very independent little dogs, always bouncy and vere clownish.

duttypaws
March 9th, 2008, 02:21 PM
cairn terriers are gorgeous... and sturdy little things...