Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Camping with my cat

ErinC_Nemo
February 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if there are tips and campsites that are specifically for cats? I am planning eventually to take my kitty camping with us when my boyfriend and I go camping.(tenting)

Please feel free to respond. I would really appreciate it.

Erin

:cat: :thankyou:

loopoo
February 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
i have known of a couple that have done that, and the cats actually enjoyed it. but to be honest, most cats prefer to be at home in their own surroundings, with a pet sitter, family member etc to check in every day and clean the litter, make sure they have water, food and play time. I dont know of any actual campsites, but you most definitely want to make sure you have yourself a kitty leash, and that the place you take them to are pet friendly i.e. cats camp there, not just dogs. Cats are roamers, if you arent able to keep them in an enclosed place, trailer, cabin, i would be concerned about them getting away, and in general not feeling comfortable in strange surroundings. Have you travelled or camped with your cat before? Maybe someone else has something better to offer up. I have always left my kitty at home, where she has felt the safest. Cats for the most part are territorial animals, and the majority of cats dont travel as well as dogs.

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have camped a lot with my cats and quite honestly I think they preferred to stay at home. We were moving across the country (done several times) so leaving them at home was not possible. We had a tent trailer and the cat was able to escape easily so at night we had to keep him harnessed while we slept, which really meant, I was up all night with him. Did not end up being enjoyable.

After that we had a fifth wheel which made it much easier and the cats were more comfortable as they felt very secure. We would harness them when we stopped so they could stretch their legs but they needed my undivided attention while they were outside. In some stops where we camped in wilderness, they would refuse to come out at all, assumed it was the scent of wild animals that scared them.

I would not advise camping in a tent with a cat.

Just wanted to add that my cats are harnness trained so being on a harness was familiar to them.

phoozles
February 13th, 2008, 12:25 PM
We went camping with my cat once, but that was only because she was pregnant (found her that way as a stray) and we didn't want to leave her at home alone in case she had her kittens. We kept her on a lead at all times. It was one of those KOA campgrounds and we had a trailer.

It didn't turn out badly, but I wouldn't do it again. Too many dangers re: dogs, etc., and the risk of them getting lost. I agree that they would rather be at home. Just my :2cents:

clm
February 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Not something that I would do personally. I never used to even take the cats to my parents cottage when I went up the odd weekend. Too stressful for them and me. Always afraid they were going to get out and never be found again.

Cindy

Ford Girl
February 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I personally wouldn't bring my cat camping, we camp ALOT and have everything you would ever need to camp with, camping is second nature to us, and I would still never bring my kitty. The first things that come to mind is the things they would not enjoy - travel time in the car, harness and leash at all times, kenneled in the trailer, drafts, strange noises, living in very close vacinity to it's litter box....I think the cat would really be on edge. :shrug: Plus if your cat is like mine - he'd eat all the grass and twigs he could and then throw it up on my sleeping bag. :laughing: My greatest fear would be to lose the kitty, or have it climb a 40 foot tree and not be able to come down.

And having to be on watch the entire time, ensuring it doesn't get out of the tent/trailer/cabin...clawing the screens.... :eek: