Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solid Gold formula changes - no more salmon!

Tommysmom
February 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
So, Solid Gold is changing some stuff - taking out the salmon meal in their formulas and replacing it with menhaden herring - and sometimes something different - and calling it all 'ocean fish'. I'm not so comfortable paying the amount of money they charge for 'ocean fish' and not salmon.

(Story is on their website http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/news/)

I currently mix their Just a Wee Bit with Tommy's Orijen fish... he eats better when he has a couple of foods together, and he really, really likes the tiny pieces of the Just a Wee Bit.

Does anybody have any recommendations for something similar? No chicken/chicken fat, he's allergic to those... he really likes the bison/salmon combo, and the small size. The fewer the ingredients the better, doesn't matter if it's grain free or not since most of his food is the Orijen fish anyway. Price doesn't matter much either, since he eats so little of it a small bag lasts a long time.

gypsy_girl
February 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
To clarify you are looking for a small kibble, no chicken or chicken fat?

Tommysmom
February 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
LOL, yes, thank you... I'm just way too long-winded, eh!

Small kibble, no chicken of any kind, preferably still containing salmon and/or bison if possible.

coppperbelle
February 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Californa Natural has a salmon based food.

Last year I switched my dogs from Solid Gold because of the change.

Tommysmom
February 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I heard about their last change... at least this time they're telling us ahead of time, but I still think they way they're phrasing it is a bit sneaky. It sort of opens the door for them to change things often and I'd prefer to know exactly what my dog is eating.

Does California Natural have a dry kibble salmon food? I checked their website and only saw salmon in the canned version.

wdawson
February 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
T.O wilderness elk and salmon.....maggie loves it

Tommysmom
February 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Doesn't that one have chicken fat in there now, Wdawson? I thought I heard that TO was putting that - or had been for a while - in most of their formulas. If not, that might be my first choice, Tommy was on some of theirs before and really liked them.

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Does California Natural have a dry kibble salmon food? I checked their website and only saw salmon in the canned version.

They don't have a salmon kibble but they have a Herring & Sweet Potato kibble ...

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1326

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Acana has a Salmon & Potato formula. It's made by the same company as Orijen ....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/salmonpotato.aspx

I don't think there is another brand that is bison & salmon based. In fact, I think Solid Gold is the only company that uses bison. :shrug:

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Nature's Variety makes a Venison & Millet (http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1481&-session=naturesvariety:1843EDA4052d83603Aiut2D518A 9) formula and a Salmon & Brown Rice (http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?r=2213676&page=1482&-session=naturesvariety:1843EDA4052d83603Aiut2D518A 9) formula.

You could buy a little bag of each then youcan make your own venison/salmon combo. :D

Tommysmom
February 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Oooo... same company as Orijen... that could be good, eh!

I kinda figured that nothing would be the same as the Solid Gold. Herring may not be bad from another company, I just don't want to pay for a bag of Solid Gold with herring that may or may not always be herring, yanno?

I do like the sound of the Acana, maybe I'll hunt out a sample of that and see if he likes it. He loves the Orijen, so maybe another one of their formulas will go over well too.

It's funny... Solid Gold was the most expensive food I've ever bought for Tommy, way more than most other brands, and yet they say the salmon is too pricey - but all these other companies still use salmon:shrug:.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Go Natural makes a Salmon & Oatmeal (http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=42) formula.

If Tommy can eat turkey they have a grain free lower protein formula called Go NOW Grain Free. (http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=160)

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Oooo... same company as Orijen... that could be good, eh!

I kinda figured that nothing would be the same as the Solid Gold. Herring may not be bad from another company, I just don't want to pay for a bag of Solid Gold with herring that may or may not always be herring, yanno?

I do like the sound of the Acana, maybe I'll hunt out a sample of that and see if he likes it. He loves the Orijen, so maybe another one of their formulas will go over well too.

It's funny... Solid Gold was the most expensive food I've ever bought for Tommy, way more than most other brands, and yet they say the salmon is too pricey - but all these other companies still use salmon:shrug:.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I use the Acana sometimes when money is tight. It's a good kibble and I also like the fact that it's made by Champion Pet Foods.

As far as the Herring & Potato by California Natural, it is good as well and Naturapet is also a reputable company with their own manufacturing plant. I have used both their California Natural and Innova kibbles in the past.

gypsy_girl
February 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know if these kibbles come in a small bite? I looked over them here, and I think they are all "regular" size. It would be great to know!

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It's been awhile since I used California Natural and Acana so I can't remember. :o

Dutchess' Human
February 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
If you want to try something a little different, Canidae has a lamb product. Their kibble is quite a bit smaller than some other brands' normal size.

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

geisha
February 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Acana kibble is bigger than Go! Salmon or California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato.

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Did you find another kibble that Tommy likes?

Tommysmom
February 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Not yet... he's got his Orijen and we're finishing off our bag of Just a Wee Bit. Unfortunately most of the formulas mentioned here have chicken fat or chicken cartilege in them, darn it! So I think our best bet is to try the Acana, even if it is a bigger kibble, but nobody here stocks it. Our Ryan's store is trying to see if they can get me some sample bags, if he likes it they'll order it in for us.

I really can't believe soooooooooo many foods use chicken fat/cartilege/other bits! I walked through the aisles at Ryan's and just looked at every food they stock, dozens and dozens of brands and flavours, and about 85% of them use chicken in some form. Grrrrrrrrrr... leave some poor chickens alone, LOL.

Dutchess' Human
February 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
If you're looking for chicken free, there's a number of high quality options.

Wellness fish, Canidae lamb and EVO red meat just to name a few.

wdawson
February 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Tommysmom;548 So I think our best bet is to try the Acana, even if it is a bigger kibble, but nobody here stocks it. Our Ryan's store is trying to see if they can get me some sample bags, if he likes it they'll order it in for us.[/QUOTE]

if you special order.....see if they will get two bags.....buy one , they keep the other then they order two more when you get the last.....the supplier might be slow and you don't wan't to get caught off guard with no food.

goldengal
February 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Montana has eaten Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Salmon and Sardine for the past two years and has done well on it.

Tommysmom
February 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
if you special order.....see if they will get two bags.....buy one , they keep the other then they order two more when you get the last.....the supplier might be slow and you don't wan't to get caught off guard with no food.

Good thinking, Wdawson:thumbs up.

rainbow
February 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately most of the formulas mentioned here have chicken fat or chicken cartilege in them, darn it!

I didn't notice the chicken liver way down the list in the Natures Variety formulas until now. :o I still don't see any in the Californai Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato and the Go Natural Salmon & Oatmeal. :shrug:

Tommysmom
February 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I didn't notice the chicken liver way down the list in the Natures Variety formulas until now. :o I still don't see any in the Californai Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato and the Go Natural Salmon & Oatmeal. :shrug:

See? They HIDE it, lollllllllll... you can't get away from chiiiiiiiiiickennnnnnnnnn!

The California Natural one looks good... I need to ask for a sample of that one, too. We tried the Go Natural a while back, for some reason Tommy just liked to hide it in my shoes but not eat it:laughing:.

I made meatballs the other night for the first time in years - I usually just buy the box of frozen ones:o. I made a separate batch for Tommy without any sauce on them... and spent the entire night rounding them up from around the house:laughing:. It took him about 4 hours to stop playing with them and finally eat them:laughing:. Seriously, my dog has an eating disorder:laughing::laughing:.

rainbow
February 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
See? They HIDE it, lollllllllll... you can't get away from chiiiiiiiiiickennnnnnnnnn!

The California Natural one looks good... I need to ask for a sample of that one, too. We tried the Go Natural a while back, for some reason Tommy just liked to hide it in my shoes but not eat it:laughing:.

I made meatballs the other night for the first time in years - I usually just buy the box of frozen ones:o. I made a separate batch for Tommy without any sauce on them... and spent the entire night rounding them up from around the house:laughing:. It took him about 4 hours to stop playing with them and finally eat them:laughing:. Seriously, my dog has an eating disorder:laughing::laughing:.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Priceless entertainment. :laughing: :thumbs up :D