Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy not wanting to eat in morning

ariesroxy
February 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hello, this is my first time posting on this so I hope I'm doing it right haha. I just got a puppy the weekend before Christmas. I believe I got her from a reputable breeder from Holly, CO because I heard only great things about them from friends and people who knew who they were.

When I got Roxy she was covered in feces when they pulled her out of the kennel. (They delivered her to us because they had family they were seeing out here.) I thought maybe she went to the bathroom in it, or her brothers and sisters did, when they were traveling here (about a 4 hour trip). That didn't bother me at first.

I took her home, washed her up, and I thought it would be okay. Well about a week later I noticed she was scratching her ear abnormally, so I took her into the vet. The vet diagnosed her with a yeast infection in her ear, perscribed me drops, and it cleared up.

After the ear mess, she was diagnosed with Giardia, which I can't understand how she got... I put her on medication for that, and now that's cleared up.

About 2 weeks after the Giardia, she had 2 roundworms. I wormed her, she's do for her 2nd batch of worming today. She has only passed the 2 worms, and hopefully no more after today.

Well I noticed she was urinating frequently not too long ago, took her back into the vet and they proscibed Amoxicillin, even though they did not see any abnormalities in her urine. They said just incase.

Well about 3 days ago, she stopped eating breakfast in the morning. I'll get home at lunch and let her eat, and she inhales the food like it's going out of style. I have her on Nutro Puppy Lamb and Rice. She was eating like crazy, now she just picks at it, and eats when she's starving. Is this normal? Do you think the Amox. could be causing her stomach to be upset?

I don't know what could be wrong with her. It's really bugging me.

She's a very outgoing puppy, had no seperation anxieties from leaving her mom, and loves peoples and animals.

I didn't know if it could be because she knows I'm getting ready to go to work, and she knows she's going in the kennel so she won't eat? Or maybe I got her from a bad breeder and she's going to have health problems? She's a long haired miniture Dachshund by the way, about 17 weeks old, 6 lbs.

Anyone have any advice?? Thanks!

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 12:36 AM
It could be the amoxicillin--our dogs don't tolerate it very well, either. Our dogs are also on it, but we started them on yogurt with every meal, probiotics as well in the morning meal, and pumpkin in the evening meal, and they're doing pretty well. Even so, after 10 days, they're beginning to show signs of tummy upset (mostly vomiting when their stomachs are empty or nearly so.)

You might want to get some plain yogurt (no artificial sweeteners or flavors) and use a teaspoon of that in her food two or three times a day. It might help soothe her tummy and intestine. And always give the amoxicillin with food--we keep out a quarter cup of food from both meals to use as a buffer at pill time.

Is she still drinking water? If she stops drinking, develops diarrhea, or still won't eat by tomorrow, best to get a vet's opinion. Things can go very wrong, very quickly with young pups.

Another thought: Is she still moving fluidly? Dachshunds are prone to back injuries. If she seems to be in pain, a vet visit is in order ASAP to have her spine evaluated. Pain can ruin a dog's appetite.

It's not too uncommon for pups to have worms and even giardia (which they get from coming in contact with contaminated feces or drinking tainted water). I wouldn't consider an ear infection or a UTI abnormal, either. Despite the fact that she seems so well-adjusted, it was still a big change for her coming to you. A stressed pup is one prone to illness. So this wouldn't necessarily indicate that the breeder was a bad one and your dog will have chronic health problems because of it. With luck, it's not a consequence of bad breeding and her immune system will become more robust as she settles in and her stress level falls. :fingerscr

One of our dogs was adopted at the age of 9 months, and she'd had four surgeries, plus her spay, during her first year with us. It wasn't from bad breeding, but just a string of coincidences. :shrug: So let's pray that your string of bad luck is just that and your little Roxy will thrive from here on out! :goodvibes:

ETA: How could I forget!? Where are my manners? Welcome to the board, ariesroxy! After a few posts, you'll be allowed to post pictures :thumbs up When you get a chance, we sure would love to see a picture of Roxy!

TeriM
February 13th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Great advice from Hazel :thumbs up. Amoxicillan is a pretty strong antibiotic so it could definately be bothering her. It might also be possible that your dog is just not a "morning dog". My friend has a dog that is super dopey in the morning and never eats until at least lunch time :shrug:. It is also not uncommon for puppies to have minor changes in their appetites from day to day. As long as she is still consuming enough food during the day I wouldn't worry to much.

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I agree with Hazel and Teri about the amoxicillan affecting her appetite. If she still doesn't want to eat after she has finished taking them then I would change her food. There are better brands out there and you could check the food forum here for other options.

I hope Roxy is feeling better soon :fingerscr :goodvibes: and looking forward to some pics. :)

clm
February 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM
As well as the medication, some dogs go off eating 2 meals a day. My pups usually only eat their dinner now, show very little interest in their breakfast. One will be a year old the end of this month, the other is 10 months. They tend to eat more of their breakfast during the weekends when we're home with them, still not as interested in it as their dinner.

Cindy

ariesroxy
February 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you for all the wonderful advice. :) I actually gave Roxy her last dose of amoxicillin this morning so hopefully she will begin eating once her stomach settles again.

Roxy still drinks pleanty of water. She guzzles it down all the time. I put one of those water bottles, like a big hampster water bottle, but for dogs, in her kennel and I hear her drink out of that on occasion when I'm getting ready in the morning too. So, she's aware its there and probably drinks from it perodically through out the day.

I was just worried because she had so much wrong with her when I first got her she was sickly. My fiance always calls her a "defective dog." Haha. :laughing: We both love her to pieces though and would do all it takes to keep her happy and healthy. :lovestruck: Hopefully she will be okay now.

I was thinking because she's so smart she knew I was going to work and she didn't want to leave my side to eat. Roxy is super smart. She knows how to sit, lay down, roll over, stay, and almost potty trained. She also got the latch on her kennel open and had a free for all, when I was at the grocery store, throughout the house, haha. I have to clip the latch down now before I leave.

If she doesn't start eating in a couple days in the morning I might switch her dog food, that would be a good idea.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful advice from all of you! I'll try to put up a picture of Roxy if I can figure it out. :pawprint:

ariesroxy
February 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I uploaded a picture in my profile. I don't know if you guys can see it or not. Let me know if I need to do something. :) Thanks!

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Oh, she's a doll, ariesroxy! :cloud9:

You'll likely have enough posts soon to activate your attachment manager. You'll find a button labeled "Manage Attachments" in the "Additional Options" box just under the "Reply to Thread" box. If you click on that, it will bring up a dialogue box that allows you to browse for the attachments you want to upoad. Attachments have to be 100KB or smaller in size. If you use a photo-sharing site, you can link to your photos there, too, but I'm not savvy enough about the sites to give any hints on how to do it. :o

I hope you figure it out soon, though, so we can see more (and bigger) pics of your little :angel:.

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Oh, we definitely need to see more pics of her.....she is adorable. :lovestruck:

You have to have a couple of posts and be a member for 36 hr. before you can add attachments. Try posting some in the Photo Forum....if you still can't after your 36 hr. is up then pm Marko and he'll lift the restriction. :)

ariesroxy
February 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Oh great! I'll try to keep posting so I can show you guys more pictures! :) I haven't gotten much, I need to take more before she gets bigger hehe. :cloud9:

She's growing so fast it's so hard to keep up with her. I've already adjusted her collar to the third notch, when I first got her Dec. 22 she was only on the 1st notch with a lot of extra room.

I think it was the amoxicillin by the way, I put her food down at lunch time and she ate it right up! :D I hope she continues to eat.

I'll get more pictures up as soon as I can! :)

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm so glad she's eating again! We have three more days on the amoxicillin before switching to the doxycycline and I'm really hoping their tummies hold out that long! :fingerscr

And you definitely need to get baby pictures--they grow so fast! :eek: And besides, if you have albums and albums of pictures to choose from, we'll get to see more of them! :D

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear she ate. :thumbs up

You've got enough posts so you just need to wait for the 36 hr. restriction. And, when you post them put them in the Photo Forum where more people will get to admire your cute little girl. :lovestruck: