Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pets and carpets...

bendyfoot
February 12th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm taking a poll.

We're going to be putting new carpets in the bedrooms, a hallway, and down the stairs. We've been to a few flooring stores and have received very different opinions about different types of flooring with respect to their durability and wear with pets.

HELP!!!!! What's your experience?

krdahmer
February 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have always hated carpet... not only because of pets, but because of the amount of allergens it spews off! Where we are now it is all tile or laminate... and I love it, no matter where they puke, it's a simple wipe up with a paper towel. And staying ahead of the fur is much easier. When I have a place of my own I want all hardwood, except for maybe tile in kitchen and bath and an area rug where the tv is for hubby. Oh and anything looped is what their claws destroy, which I believe berber is looped.

JanM
February 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I had carpet and ripped it all out. The whole house is now completely done in linoleum. The lino in the bedroom, dining room, hallway and living room is a wood grain - most people think it's hardwood!

I love it! Cleaning up spills is a breeze and it just doesn't matter when the dogs and cat cart in dust, mud and whatever else they get in their coats - it's simple to clean. Love it!

sugarcatmom
February 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM
My dream house will have heated cement flooring with a drain hole in the middle and an indoor hose.

Ford Girl
February 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I am a fan of carpet in the bedrooms, hallways and living room....:thumbs up I had hardwood in my bedroom once while I was going to school, and I hated it...I have never had to change my sheets and move my bed around so much in my life...

jessi76
February 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I agree w/ krdahmer. carpet traps so much stuff and it's really not the easiest to clean well (from pet issues, pukes, accidents, fleas... ). we ripped out our carpet on the first floor in the main part of the house and put down wide pine. our sinus cleared up remarkably the day the carpet was out. :rolleyes:

now i'm on a mission to rid my house of carpet completely. perhaps a little area rug here or there, but that's it.

14+kitties
February 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
We have an old, not very well built farmhouse. I would love to have all hardwood but because it is old and drafty I need carpets in some spots. Cold, cold floors! My dream house (I hope) will not have any carpets!
The kitties vote for carpet in their catuary! Keeps them nice and warm and toasty. 'Specially the stuff on the walls and ceilings. :D

luckypenny
February 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
My dream house will have heated cement flooring with a drain hole in the middle and an indoor hose.

:laughing: I'm so with you!

We have plush carpeting in the basement and on the stairs. Although I don't "hate" it, I would prefer non-carpeted floors. We shampoo every 3 months and the color of the water after shampooing is :yuck: . Imagine not washing your carpetless floors for three months :eek: . It gets pretty gross so just think of what's in the carpeting.

Gibbons
February 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm in with the general consensus of no carpets. I will say though that berber carpet cleans better than any other carpet we've had. All loops which gibson gets his claws into for sure, but it doesn't really make "runs" in the carpet, and I can just trim it back with scissors if he makes it fluffier than normal. You can't even tell! Spills and cat mess (ha, I have lots of experience with that!) come up off the berber carpet in the living room WAY easier than the plush carpet we have in the bedroom.

Since it sounds like you definitely are getting carpet.. I'd go with berber over plush.

SARAH
February 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I only have carpet in one room, the TV-room. And it's because ... it was there when we bought the house! It's on the top priority list of things to change! Still, I'll paint the room first, that way, any drip that occurs is an additional reason to get rid of the thing! Fur-magnet, is what it is!

bendyfoot
February 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Yep, the carpet is a definite, for many reasons:

-cold, drafy ancient house (freezing tile/wood floors downstairs)
-uneven flooring that would require pretty big overhaul before wood could be installed
-stairs...two sets...very expensive to do wood
-Jaida...three legs...not so good on slippery surfaces, it would be mean to take them all away :-)
- kids...hopefully soon...want something soft to crawl/play on

chico2
February 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
We are just in the process of removing the last of the carpeting in our house.
My whole house has hardwood floors,but was built in 1959,so the floors are a mess.
We are putting in laminate on top of the old hardwood,already did in he other rooms,easy to clean,does not scratch or stain...I'll be soooo happy to get rid of the carpet:thumbs up
I have area-rugs in the bed-rooms and in places where I need them,but wall-to-wall carpeting,never again!!
Get in the habit of wearing warm slippers,at least in the winter,that's what we do..

diandpat
February 12th, 2008, 04:10 PM
In 2001 we moved from a carpeted apartment to a home with hardwood/parquet floors. When we moved into this house we adopted our golden, Ginger, at the same time. We only had one area carpet in the living room and an area carpet in the TV room. With a swiffer vac and diligent vacuuming I was able to keep my allergies in check.

Fast forward 2008...My golden girl is now 13.5 yrs old and our adopted Hobo has disc problems. After Ginger's bout with vestibular disease in the fall we had no choice but to carpet the stairs and to buy more little area carpets to place stategically throughout the house. When we bought the new carpets we also invested in one of those cyclonic vacuums that picks up EVERYTHING! I can honestly say it has been no problem at all. To minimize on capturing allergens we only carpeted the steps and not the risers. It actually looks not too bad and the dogs have no problems in the stairs :thumbs up

The added bonus for us has been that we are older now too and the extra cushioning is kind of nice for us too. We have been pleasantly surprised.

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
so you know im a mom and all that jazz... if i could do it right now, id rip out all of our carpeting and put in either bamboo (antimicrobial properties AND its renewable AND easy to clean) with area rugs in the family rooms, hall ways and such and then true linoleum-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleum

in the kitchen with a floor drain. then put larger area rugs all over the place for comfort and traction.

you can get both floors wet. both are very clean. you (if you go with either berber or plush, both are inexpensive as area rugs) can then take your area rugs out and either beat them, shampoo them as you normally would, but you could roll them up and clean under them. when your kids get to be 2 or 3, you think to yourself... the more germs the better!! but most of the time before then you are worried abotu everything because their little immune systems just arent robust enough to handle the allergens found in carpeting.

as for the stairs, the high use stairs should have hard wood with a 'floating' carpet held down by rods on the inside of the steps. in that situation, you can actually take the carpeting off of the stairs and clean them regularly.

if you have a set of stairs that sees less use, hit that with some regular carpeting. bedrooms, same thing, they dont see a lot of foot traffic, carpet away!

thats my little dream world anyway. once you see the nasty stuff that comes up from carpeting.... you will want it GONE!! i dont know, im of the mind set that by the time you are done buying all of your carpet maintenance equipment, you probably spent almost as much on it as you did hard alternatives.

you WILL want a vacuum with an attachment that has a spinning extension to suck yuck off the stairs, a shampooer to clean up exceptionally big barfs and to shampoo every few months (we shampoo every 2 months). get a bagless vacuum cause of the pet hair and a HEPA filter on it cause of all living creatures dander.... did i mention i also vacuum DAILY to keep Jeffreys fur digestion rate down?? :yuck: PITA!!!

hows it going anyway??? i told you i started my period? YAY!! its over now so we're working at it again! hahaha!!

-ashley

CearaQC
February 12th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I used to be a carpet fan until we moved into this house with all wood floors.

Carpet now grosses me out, with all the chemicals it puts into the air. Well, new carpet anyway.

Then with pets... well there are tons of messes.

Any floor that doesn't absorb and is easy to keep clean is ideal in my opinion.

We don't even have area rugs. Just another thing that needs vacuuming.

I use a cute little canister vacuum on wheels from Sears. It has powerful suction, uses no bags and works like a champ. Best vacuum I ever had. In between vacuum jobs I use a Vileda brand dust mop.

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
In my old apartment I had tile everywhere, except the bedroom area. I liked it because it was a nice change from the cold tile floor. But I do understand it traps a lot of allergens.

Where I live now, I have tile downstairs with some rugs and wood laminate in the bedroom with a couple of rugs.

I have been thinking about just getting some carpet tiles, because I do hate cold floors in the middle of the night. But then I'd have to deal with tracking kitty litter.

I think no carpet is better.

Frenchy
February 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
We shampoo every 3 months and the color of the water after shampooing is :yuck: .

I know ! Thank dog for my carpet cleaner machine :D

When I bought this house , it had carpets and I left them. The floors are too cold so it helps but the main thing was for my older dogs. I would love to have hardwood floors but they are too slippery for the doggies. :shrug:

Writing4Fun
February 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
My experience with carpet is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Hate it, hate it, hate it. :yuck: When we moved to Ontario, the house was completely carpeted except for the kitchen & bathroom (ceramic). Our newborn son developed breathing issues, the doctor said it was asthma. He suggested we remove all of the carpet, which we did, starting with the baby's bedroom and the living room where we spend most of our time. Bingo! No more breathing issues. :thumbs up

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
which is not to say you cant do carpeting, just do area rugs instead. heck even do whatever carpeting you were thinking of in the first place.... just dont INSTALL it. use ti like an area rug.

-ash

t.pettet
February 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
When I bought this old farm house it was completely carpeted (even kitchen) and noticed the smell right off. Starting ripping it up and found beautiful hardwood but all the carpet backing had stuck to the hardwood so had to have it professionally restored. There were so many urine stains and my dogs started to mark where the stains were. What a disgusting mess. We were also sneezing alot and mold hadd started to grow under the foam padding. I do have carpet runners so no one slips and which I can air outside.

kashtin's kin
February 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Looks like you have plenty of informed opinions already, but I'll still put in my :2cents: worth, as it's a subject I feel very strongly about! We put low-pile/neutral-colour carpet over hideous old linoleum in our old farmhouse a few years ago.

It was cozy and all that for the first 4-5 years...and downhill in a yucky way after the 'carpet honeymoon period', despite frequent thorough steaming and much spot-cleaning in between. Without critters, no problem. However, with 6-7 cats there always seems to be SOMEONE sicking up, along with the odd 'dog puking up grass' syndrome. Ugh.

I soooo like sugarcatmom's dream of a cee-ment floor with a central drain (teehee, but practical!), and I sure do relate to chico2 with that feeling of relief when ye olde used carpet got yanked out. We put laminate flooring down, and it's such a thrill to simply wipe stuff up!

p.s. DH and I sometimes discuss building a TEENY little house on our tiny farm just for the two of us, as a respite from the 8 inside critters...how sadly ironic is THAT :rolleyes:!! And even if that DID sort of work, no doubt the pony herd would find ways of torturing us i.e. "howdy new neighbours, can we borrow 10 cups of sugarcubes??!!"

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
We just built our own home and has hardwood throughout the upper level and heated floors with laminate in the basement. Carpets are dust/mites/pollen/dander traps in my opinion. I would put in laminate before I put in carpet. You can do it yourself and the better quality looks pretty good.