Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Darby needs your help

caesar2001ca
February 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
A week ago, we went to the Regina humane society to see what was there as we are looking for a new pup/friend for Darby. We found one (sad story is that six of them were left near the dump to freeze - we saved one out of four but that's a side story). She kind of had kennel cough we think, now it's gone. But as of Monday, Darby has been kind of dreary. She is hocking up a yellow bile...but it's kind of stringy, so it won't come right out and she ends up swallowing it back up.

Is this a symptom of kennel cough and will she just get over it? Or do I need to take her to the vet. The vet (over the phone) just says it's probably kennel cough, and that if we feel the need or urge to bring her in, then do so, but says we should just ride it out for a few days to see the progress

She is not herself and won't eat as of yesterday...but will partake in a few beef jerkey treats.

My other question is maybe it could be stress of the new puppy in the house...cause she is seriously pissed that Vegas is taking over.

Any input is appreciated. This is Darby.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/caesar2001ca/darby004.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/caesar2001ca/darby051.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/caesar2001ca/darby021.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/caesar2001ca/NewYorkXmas2007014.jpg

Frenchy
February 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Kennel cough is just like the flu for humans. Some get real sick from it , others not so much. It does sound like she has kennel cough , it takes about 7-10 days from when the dog is first expose to another who has it. You could give her 1 spoon of honey (2-3 times a day) to soothe her troat and see how it goes from there. If she gets too sick , go to the vet but the only thing he will do is put her on antibiotics.

She's a beauty BTW ! :lovestruck:

Love4himies
February 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know anything about dog health, but would like to comment on how beautiful your dog is. I just love her mitted paws (are they called mitted on dogs??). It looks like her paws are from a different dog.

And, ummm, rule here is if you post a picture of one furbaby, you need to post pictures of all, can't play favourites. We need to see Vegas too:yell:

caesar2001ca
February 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
hahaha.. i was going to...but my camera is at home!

so tonight when i get home i will

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Darby is just a gorgeous girl with a very lovely smile! :dog: Although I suppose she's not smiling too much lately since she's been sick. :grouphug:

If she's still not eating by tomorrow, I'd take her in for meds. We had six dogs with KC last year--some of them just coughed for a couple of days, but two of them ran fevers, stopped eating, were coughing almost nonstop and seemed to have sore throats...the whole nine yards. The vet sent home some antibiotics and cough syrup, and they were much better within a couple of days. No sense in having Darby suffer unnecessarily.

And we're going to hold you to that promise of showing us Vegas, too! :D We can get quite demanding about pictures. :o

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 07:40 AM
:sad:Where's Vegas? "Tonight" has come and gone and still no sign of Vegas.

caesar2001ca
February 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM
hahaha...I had a meeting last night and forgot my camera from home.

Tonight, I promise, I will post them.

on a side note, Darby has an appointment today, as she still hasn't eaten and now her nose has snot coming from it...and she keeps licking it up before i can wipe it off!! damn her!!! lol....

worse than kids..."stop licking your snot from your nose!!!" lol

Love4himies
February 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
on a side note, Darby has an appointment today, as she still hasn't eaten and now her nose has snot coming from it...and she keeps licking it up before i can wipe it off!! damn her!!! lol....

worse than kids..."stop licking your snot from your nose!!!" lol

:yuck: Glad to hear she is going to the vet.

SnowDancer
February 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
If it is Kennel Cough, the snot from the nose is usually a sign that antibiotics will be required. With people the difference between a sniffling cold and a sinus infection is the "colour" on the tissue - ick!

loopoo
February 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
glad she is going to the vet... she is a very pretty girl..:)

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Yep, definitely time for a vet to look at her. Our eight were passing around an upper respiratory infection last month...we were told to watch for a yellowish or greenish discharge from the nose and bring them in right away for antibiotics if we saw any.

Let us know how the appointment goes :goodvibes:

And don't forget those pictures! :laughing:

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Good luck at the vet. :fingerscr :goodvibes: I love the second pic :lovestruck: ....she looks like such a happy girl. :D

caesar2001ca
February 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
see the introduction page for pics of Darby & Vegas...figured I should put them in the right spot!!!

Thanks for your info...glad to have pages like this!!