Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mister(new) and Shadow(old) Raw Fed, Lab Results- Help With Abnormal Values

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
ok, as most of you know, i feed my pets predominantly raw meat/bones/offal diet. i need a little extra help in reading these values. before i go typing them all out (boy its A LOT!!), is there anyone who can help me pick apart some of these things??

i did not fast Mister 12 hours before hand. he ate at 8am that morning (beef heart, he dug it up and ate it for the night before) and his labs were drawn AFTER his parvo/distemper/adenovirus by aprox 20 minutes.

specifically (without getting into ALL of his labs) Misters LIPASE was high, 1119U/L when normal is between 100-750U/L.
AMYLASE was almost low at 477U/L with 459-1240U/L being normal range.
T4 was on the low end of normal at 1.3
SODIUM looked low at 143mEq/L, normal being between 141-156mEq/L
TCO2(BICARBONATE) was almost low at 18mEq/L with normal being 17-24mEq/L
NEUTROPHIL SEG was just barely low at 49% with 50-77% being normal range.
MCHC was not over, but was on the high end at 35.7g/dL with normal being 32-36g/dL
ABSOLUTE LYMPHOCYTE was just above the high end at 4872 /uL with the normal range between 1000-4800/uL
LYMPHOCYTES were high at 42%, normal being between 12-30%

edit- i forgot to add ive spent the last hour or so trolling google to see what turns up with each of these values but i think it left me more confused than i expected. i also added other values! sorry!

ill get into Shadows stuff later. his lab work was done back in August in response to him not eating.... which turned out to be constipation induced urinary crystals. :o my fault! (no wonder he hates me!)

-ashley

Love4himies
February 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Here is a link that describes lab results in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2393

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
i think, at this point, all that really bothers me are these-
LIPASE was high, 1119U/L when normal is between 100-750U/L.
AMYLASE was almost low at 477U/L with 459-1240U/L being normal range.

and

NEUTROPHIL SEG was just barely low at 49% with 50-77% being normal range.

the rest of them are likely already explained with his situation- eating meat he dug up from the night before, dehydrated from flinging himself all over, flipping his water bowl... etc

thanks for the link L4H, i also found a site explaining lab work ups to AIDS patients and how to make sense of it which helped a bunch.

-ashley

sugarcatmom
February 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Here's another site to check out: https://app.vetconnect.com/5min/toc/020.htm

I also think it's important to view results with respect to the whole animal, not just the individual numbers. Sometimes what's considered high/low for one dog might actually be normal for another.

Kristin7
February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
ok, here's some food for thought from a scientist type... are these values really abnormal or are they based on values taken from dogs fed your typical bad kibble diet?? Your dog and cats values could be actually normal and fine for raw fed pets. If your pets seem healthy, their coats shiny, they have energy, etc, I'm guessing they probably are in good health... is there somewhere you can find normal values for raw fed, healthy animals?

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM
actually there are some 'bad' values that are already accounted for with their raw diet. i didnt list those since i already found another reason (other than some huge health issues) for. he also has a low T4 count (although not DANGEROUSLY low) that we will try to manipulate a little with some other foods. i suspect its from a low iodine availability since we do not feed any organs that contain a great deal of iodine.

IM OFF TO GET A BATH!! FEEL JEALOUS!! (sorry... had to get that out somewhere :o)

-ashley

growler~GateKeeper
February 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
You must remember that the values fluctuate throughout the day. If this test was done 3 hours later you might see all values closer to/within normal range.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the values that are within normal - amylase, T4, sodium, TCO2, and MCHC - since these will fluctuate.

Amylase is an enzyme that is produced by the pancreas and the intestinal tract. It helps break down sugar.

Lipase breaks down fats.

Neutrophils seg, Absolute Lymphocytes, Lymphocytes all deal with white blood cells which help to fight infection.

Neutrophils serve as the primary defense against invasion of tissues by microorganisms. Neutrophils kill bacteria and can also damage or participate in the destruction of mycotic agents, algae and viruses. Neutrophils accumulate at sites of inflammation or bacterial infection by a process of directional migration or chemotaxis.

As mentioned in below quote these values will be different for a raw-fed dog & the lipase being high is also explained @ the end as a possible result of Mister having been fed prior to the test.

from http://www.dogaware.com/misc.html
Effect of diet on test results
A study comparing the blood work of raw-fed and kibble-fed dogs found that the raw-fed dogs had higher average BUN and PCV (hematocrit, a measure of red blood cells) values. Hemoglobin, MCH, MCV and MCHC (all measures of red blood cells), total protein, albumin, creatinine, BUN/creatinine ratio, sodium, osmolality, and magnesium were also statistically higher, and total leukocyte, neutrophil, and lymphocyte counts (all measures of white blood cells), phosphorus, and glucose were statistically lower according to a detailed analysis. Note that all values were still within normal ranges or only very slightly different; values that are well outside the normal range are always meaningful. Fasting (no food, but continue to give water) for at least 12 hours before the blood is drawn should eliminate most effects on blood tests that are caused by diet. This is a good idea for all dogs, as a recent meal can also cause lipemia, making blood test results less reliable.