Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trained dog having "accidents"

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Can someone please give me insight as to why my potty-trained dog is peeing in the house? She is a one-year old beagle mutt who obviously prefers going inside. She is let out often when we are home, but will still pee on the carpet downstairs (never on the hardwood floors upstairs). Any idea why this is happening? It just started about a month ago. Any insight would be very helpful. Thanks!

jessi76
February 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
a vet check should be in order. a trained dog who starts having accidents out of the blue needs to be seen by a vet. it's very possible that it is a health problem, not a behavior problem.

badger
February 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Did you have her checked by a vet, in case it's a urinary infection?

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you for your insight.

Yes, she was at the vet a couple of months ago for a uti. The vet put her on medicine and she finished it. She's had 2 uti's in the past. When she's had those, she'll wet on the floor in small amounts. Lately, it's been a lot of urine.

jessi76
February 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
considering her history of UTI's, I'd first see the vet to rule out any potential health issues. keep us posted on what the vet says and if all is clear, we can then offer some suggestions if it's just behavioral.

SnowDancer
February 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Definitely see the vet to rule out medical issues. Just a thought though, how has the weather been in St.Louis and if as bad as here, does your dog eat snow to excess. My Eskie does and what goes in must come out - and it just happened about 10 minutes ago. We were out, he did his thing and then scarfed down a ton of snow as we were on the way in the door. I turned my back and he was in the basement - couldn't hold it. He is 4 - does have a small bladder, but the snow eating is not helping.

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much, will do. The doctor even mentioned she's too young for this many bladder infections. The next step is to do some testing.

Could it be she doesn't like the cold grass????

badger
February 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think the vet has to see her, because she has a bit of a history with UTIs. It would really surprise me if the two weren't connected. Maybe he'll let you just take in a urine sample to be tested. Is she on any preventive stuff, such as special food or supplements?

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I didn't think about the snow. It's snowed a couple of times here, but she's also done it when it hasn't snowed.

Is she not getting enough attention?

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
No, she's not on any preventative medicine or food for uti. I know they have cranberry pills for humans, but wasn't aware they had anything for dogs. I'll ask the vet about it. Thanks.

jessi76
February 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The doctor even mentioned she's too young for this many bladder infections. The next step is to do some testing.

I agree that 1 yr old is young for 3+ UTIs. what type of dog? where did you get the dog from? (just curious really)

ooh sorry - didn't see this is a beagle mix! sounds cute. once you get the accident issue resolved, we'd love to see pics!

tropicalmug
February 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
She's actually only had 2 uti's, but I guess that's still a lot.

She's part beagle, although her brother looks a lot more beagle than her.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=82286239&albumID=1732719&imageID=21593275