Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Terrible Limping On Lukka's Surgery Leg

Lukka'sma
February 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I called the vet today to see if I could get Lukka some pain meds. She has been limping even more the last couple of days and holds her foot up from time to time.
I have followed the vets rehab schedule to the letter, and although the incision is completely healed the leg just doesn't get any better, so frustrating.
When the vet took the staples out he checked her knee and said it was nice and stable so I don't know what the heck is going on here.

14+kitties
February 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Poor Lukka. :sad: She has had a rough go of it lately. Sending :goodvibes: that she improves soon so she can be back out running around.

ancientgirl
February 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe it will just take a little more time. Maybe she's like some people, that don't take pain well.

I hope she feels better soon.

Love4himies
February 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Oh no, poor Lukka, hope she recovers quickly. Must be so painful.

krdahmer
February 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
:goodvibes: for Lukka... hope the pain subsides soon! :grouphug:

Frenchy
February 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Oh no ! :sad: I hope it's nothing to worry about :fingerscr

JanM
February 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I hope and pray her leg is just fine and she just needs more time!

Lukka'sma
February 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I went and picked up some pain meds for her so with a couple of days rest and the pain pills maybe she'll get back to where she was before this setback.

Lukka'sma
February 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I posted a question on Yahoo asking for people that have had this done for their dogs and the recovery time, I had several of them tell me it took almost six months before the limping stopped, so I guess I shouldn't get too worried.
When my sister's cat had this surgery her first leg was better in about five months, the following year the other leg was done and her cat limped on it for a full year, she's absolutely fine now though.
I guess it just varies from animal to animal and not each case will heal in 8 wks.

want4rain
February 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
your diligence and love is what will get Lukka thought this, just dont let it rule your sanity. :) dont hesitate to ask your vet, pets.ca and others who have done this any question you would have and also dont forget to trust your instinct. it ocul dbe the first indication something is wrong, even if you cant put your finger on it.

keeping Lukka on my mind!!

-ash

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If Lukka is only limping I'm sure you have nothing to worry about as every dog is different. If she continues to hold her leg up and not use it then I would get the vet to have another look in case the meniscus in her knee has slipped. How long is she on the pain meds for? Is it Metacam? She could just have post-op inflammation (very common) and an anti-inflammatory (like Metacam) will do the trick.

Good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes: and hugs for you both. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Lukka'sma
February 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
rainbow, initially she had pain med for five days when she came home from surgery, then that was it. Until today when she seemed to be in need of it. He gave her Deramaxx for the next week and from there we will see how she is doing.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Aw, poor Lukka just can't catch a break lately! :grouphug: With luck it's just a little post-op inflammation and she'll heal quickly now. :fingerscr

rainbow
February 13th, 2008, 02:24 AM
The Deramaxx works just like the Metacam. Like I said, I'm sure it is probably post-op inflammation and the anti-inflammatory meds will do the trick. Hugs for you both. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Are you still sleeping on the floor with her? :o

TeriM
February 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hope the meds help and she feels better quickly :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

Lukka'sma
February 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
The Deramaxx works just like the Metacam. Like I said, I'm sure it is probably post-op inflammation and the anti-inflammatory meds will do the trick. Hugs for you both. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Are you still sleeping on the floor with her? :o

I stop sleeping on the floor with her once the staples had been removed. She never wore the cone and didn't bother with the leg during the day, but I slept with her just to be sure she didn't fuss with the staples when we were sleeping.
She sleeps right outside the bedroom door and will come and get me if she needs me now, very seldom does she get up through the night though, maybe it's happened a couple of times since she was four months old. If she gets any worse I will start sleeping with her again just so she has company to help her feel more relaxed.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Don't even think about it getting worse! Positive energy, here...positive, I tell ya! :D

:goodvibes:, :fingerscr, :pray:, 32 crossed :pawprint:s, and all the magical healing setter spittle you can handle, winging your way across the Cosmos for Lukka's quick recovery urm...and you might wanna get a big umbrella ready for when that spittle arrives...:o

Purpledomino
February 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I hope Lukka feels better soon..... nothing is worst than seeing your loved ones in pain. :sad: I'm hoping she just needs more time to mend, and by the sounds of it she has the best nurse. :goodvibes:

Winston
February 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Lukkasmom! Just catching up here..so sorry your girl is in pain! Hope the pain meds have kicked in now...She is a beuatiful girl! :thumbs up and hoping you dont have to sleep on the floor!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Is she doing any better tonight, Lukka'sma? :fingerscr

breeze
February 13th, 2008, 09:20 PM
:fingerscr that she is just taking her time to heal properly, so there are no complcations..

:grouphug::goodvibes::grouphug::goodvibes::grouphu g::goodvibes:

Luba
February 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I had similar experience, occassional limps and pain and swelling but eventually all healed nicely. I am betting dollars to donuts it's achie as well from all this cold damp weather. Don't you worry all will work out I'm sure of it. My friend/neighbour has to have this surgery on their Great Dane soon.

loopoo
February 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM
must have missed this.. i hope she is doing better with the pain meds:goodvibes: for her healing up.. sounds like a lot of good feedback here, and that what is happening is quite common and she will get better, try not to worry too much..

Lukka'sma
February 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone, she seems more comfortable now with the addition of pain meds.
I'm going to back up a bit with her walking though and just let her out for relieving herself.
According to the vet rehab sheet she should be able to withstand a twenty minute walk daily by now.......absolutely no way, five minutes tops and she needs to rest for that. Maybe her size is going to make this take a bit longer than average.

rainbow
February 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
The rehab instructions are just a guideline. Every dog is different and a daily 20 minute walk can be four 5 minute walks then two 10 minute walks. Let Lukka decide how she wants to do it until she gets to the 20 minute walk and then you can gradually increase from there. Hugs for Lukka. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

SnowDancer
February 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
My dog's Groomer did as rainbow posted - short walks - and this is the dog that was up and greeting us at the door a week after surgery. Of course every dog is different and if Lukka does not improve I would go back to vet. There was another client whose large breed dog was not improving as expected and it turned out that the vet had to go back in and fix something -unfortunately I don't know what that something was, but it worked. Hopefully it won't come to that. Should you end up sleeping on the floor with Lukka again, there is a bright side - IT ISN'T JULY - with all of the creepy crawlies and ant invasions - they were in full force in July 2003 when I was ensconced on the floor mattress and my little big guy was very focused on getting them before they got to Mommy!

Luba
February 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Here is hopin that spring will bring more healing. Such nasty weather the sunshine will most certainly help, along with less ice and snow.

Winston
March 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM
How is your girl doing? Any improvement ? hoping she is mamaging the pain better..

Cindy

clm
March 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I was wondering how Lukka is doing too.

Cindy

breeze
March 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I was wondering how Lukka is doing too.

Cindy

I was thinking the same thing.. could we have an update plleeaassee

Lukka'sma
March 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
She is improving very slowly. Slow controlled walks in the yard and in front of the house we can take her about ten houses in either direction a couple of times a day. Seems to be all she can handle without the limping increasing. Slow and steady for a few more weeks I guess.

clm
March 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm glad she's improving, albeit slowly. :thumbs up Better than her feeling great all of a sudden and pushing herself to hard.

Cindy

TeriM
March 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm glad she's improving, albeit slowly. :thumbs up Better than her feeling great all of a sudden and pushing herself to hard.

I agree :thumbs up. Hugs to you and Lukka :grouphug::grouphug:.

breeze
March 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
slow and steady wins the race!!

things will get better day by day by day.. Lukka just has to do it at her own pace....

more :goodvibes::goodvibes: and :grouphug::grouphug: headed your way....

rainbow
March 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I agree....every dog recovers differently. Perhaps the colder weather had some effect too. :shrug: Is she walking a total of 20-30 minutes per day? Does she have another scheduled check-up with the vet or do you only have to go if you think she needs to?

Lukka'sma
March 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
No scheduled check up but she will be going soon anyway for her heartworm meds and flea treatments. Seems to me last year we did that in March or the very start of April.

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm glad she continues to improve. Just a matter of patience...:thumbs up

Does she still get her trips out to her favorite trail? :dog:

Lukka'sma
March 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Haven't taken her out there lately Hazel. She's due for another visit I think. Maybe next week when she gets up to a full half hour walk all at one time

luckypenny
March 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Haven't taken her out there lately Hazel. She's due for another visit I think. Maybe next week when she gets up to a full half hour walk all at one time

Can I request pictures please :o ?

I'm glad she's steadily getting stronger. Extra hugs for her :cloud9: .

clm
March 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I second the request for pictures!

Cindy